Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift?

Go down

Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift? Empty Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift?

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm invited Saturday to a former co-worker and friend's Surprise 70th birthday party.

I pondered for awhile on what to get him...then I recalled years ago he was commenting how he missed the days of actually holding a real phone up to your ear....cell phones, either candy bar style or flip seem to tire your arm out due to their awkwardness when talking for a good spell.

Since one of my other hobbies is restoring old phones, and I happened to have one just collecting dust--the idea hit me.

So his surprise gift for his surprise B-day will be this cleaned and polished 1972 Stromberg-Carlson 500 style rotary phone.

It's all set with a modular plug (and yes I double-checked, he still has a land-line connection for phone service!).

So whaddaya think? I like giving more personal style gifts than the run of the mill stuff.

Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift? 1
Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift? 2

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift? Empty Re: Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift?

Post by Ken g on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Not knowing this guy it is impossible to know . People of that age usually dont need anymore ...well un-usable items... I would get him some chocolate or some wine or stuff he can eat .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift? Empty Re: Do you think this will make a nice B-Day gift?

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Good looking phone, I think it will make a nice gift! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:09 pm

I solved the cell phone issue by retrofitting a Bluetooth earpiece into a later model Bell Labs rotary phone. Works great and is a lot more comfortable than getting a crick in my neck from trying to hold the cell phone with my shoulder.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:26 pm

He ought to like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 am

Nice personable gift ! He should certainly like it.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Good choice.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:29 pm

It is practical to have a phone like that on hand in case of power failure. That is a nice one. You did well. It will make a thoughtful gift.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Most land lines can still handle dial pulse signaling but it would be good to check.

Back to top Go down

Post by stringbender31 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:57 pm

If he doesn't want it I will gladly accept it lol!
stringbender31
stringbender31

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Hey, me too!! Laughing Laughing
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:20 am

N7ZAL wrote:Nice personable gift ! He should certainly like it.

+1 Great idea too.
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down