Kids today just don't get it.

Go down

Kids today just don't get it. Empty Kids today just don't get it.

Post by scottj5395 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 am

Well I pulled out my Christmas albums this evening. I started with Frosty the Snowman with Andy Griffith narrating. My kids didn't make it half way through and they were bored to death. No imagination anymore. I'll hit em later on with the Christmas music, say Elvis or Anne Murray, maybe Jim Neighbors if I can find it. My wife and I tell them of our memories from when we were kids and they just look at us wierd, like "knobs on a TV? gimme a break dad". Sometimes I miss being a kid.
scottj5395
scottj5395

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Kids today just don't get it. Empty Re: Kids today just don't get it.

Post by Ken g on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:07 am

Yep .. if it aint on an ipad or cellphone it is not interesting ...to most kids anyway .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 am

When they get a lot older they will realize what they missed...and you won't be around to answer the questions. Same for each generation. Wink
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Past technology is usually forgotten, and is of little interest by current society.
A lot of it has to do with the current "trends" and marketing/advertizing, along with society's peer pressure.

A form of brainwashing, if you want to call it that.
"oh, you don't have the latest Iphone 5?.... or the latest neat "app"? Tsk tsk....!

People growing up in the 40's and 50's had little interest in horse & buggy transportation - they were wrapped up in automobile travel.
It was "the norm" of the times.

But, as we all know, things tend to come "full circle" again eventually...

People are always fascinated by something "different", and the need to fullfill some part of their lives with something that often sparks a trend all over again.

To some young people, the idea of records is "fresh" - a wonderment of sorts. - they now find it fascinating.
But not all are "on the bandwagon" yet, as scottj's kids are.
They're wrapped up in the current culture, at least for now.

Lest I go out on a limb for saying this, but a lot of the reason for this is how they are brought up, and who they associate with.
"Family Values"....

Those little glowing LCD screens are a tough act to follow.
Look around you - zombies, all carrying around those things, staring at them like it's their whole world.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm

repairtech wrote:Those little glowing LCD screens are a tough act to follow.
Look around you - zombies, all carrying around those things, staring at them like it's their whole world.

For some it is their whole world.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 pm

You never know what might pique a kids' interest and get them interested in an aspect of the cold cruel world we grew up in. Sometimes it can be the most picayune or ridiculous thing that lets a little light in, and suddenly they are curious about things. Just keep offering up different things of interest. Not to you, but hopefully to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:54 am

Sometimes it can be the most picayune or ridiculous thing that lets a little light in, and suddenly they are curious about things.

I agree and believe in exposing kids to numerous things, and they will latch onto something. As long as it is positive, it is good. Did that with the kids and it worked. Wink
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:52 pm

I've been giving out Orson Wells' version of "A Christmas Carol" on CD's as Christmas gifts. I've found that the very old, (my landlord), and the very young, (my nephew's 5 year old), enjoy them. I guess unless the 'abridged' version is on a Smartphone the "Instant" generation won't get it.

BTW- All of the episodes of The Mercury Theater and the Campbell Soup theater are available as downloads and are "Public Domain".
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

My neighbor's 13 year old granddaughter likes my old black and white RCA tv from about 1955. She comes over when she can and watches my old movies, Highway Patrol, Superman, Popeye, John Wayne, Lone Ranger, etc. She won't borrow the CD's and tapes to watch at her home on a modern tv. She wants to watch them on an old tv, in monochrome. She also likes the fact that a knob actually controls the tv. I might just give her than tv, since she likes it so well, and I have others. Might be a good way to get another youngster interested in something other than a cell phone.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:29 pm

I might just give her than tv, since she likes it so well, and I have others. Might be a good way to get another youngster interested in something other than a cell phone.

That's a great idea and very nice of you. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by scottj5395 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 pm

My oldest son repaired is first radio last summer, an old Sylvania green plastic clock radio. He replaced the caps and a tube, plugged it in, waited, and waited, when it finally began to play his face really lit up. He is in college now and the only one in his class who knows what a tube or a capacitor is let alone how to change one out. My other son, 18, has no interest, and my daughter, 11, constantly tells me I have enough and don't need anymore. We tell them we had to look stuff up in an encyclopedia while they use the internet to do our homework. I try to take comfort in the idea that we are instilling a level of gratitude in them as there was not always internet or ipods.
scottj5395
scottj5395

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Actually, there is no "n" in "that". Older fingers and typos seem to go together. Sorry.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum