I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

I Made A Move Into The 21st Century - Page 3 Empty Re: I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Repair Tech: Metal gears?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

I Made A Move Into The 21st Century - Page 3 Empty Re: I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Post by repairtech on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 am

N7ZAL wrote:Repair Tech: Metal gears?

Yepper, metal gears.

I cleaned and re-lubed it a few years ago.

I have the dough hooks with it too.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 am

MEZLAW wrote:Capacitors are a huge issue in electronics today . Sometimes i think they are made bad on purpose

Ken, I have to agree with you about capacitors. I can't begin to tell you how many capacitors I've had to change in Samsung telephone equipment. We had two different models of Samsung phones systems where over 95% of the installed systems died due to failed electrolyitic capacitors in the power supplies. My customers can't come to me, so I had a lot of windshield time which I never got compensation for.

After reading this thread I guess I'll keep my 30 plus year old Zenith running and not be to quick to get rid of it!

I've replaced countless 'lytics in Samsung sets over the years.
Mostly all of the CapXon brand.

They're in a lot of products too, and whenever I see them, I know trouble's a-brewin'. Shocked

repairtech

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 am

As far as Kitchen appliances being better I think for the most part anything built back then was better. Seems like to me stuff made between 69-89 went from "make it better so we can sell it" to a mentality of "make it as cheap as we can so it will sell and we can make a bigger profit. Tools are the same way. I bought a belt sander a few years ago. I was using it one day and during normal uses it just quit moving the belt but the motor was still running. The plastic area where the bearings that held the roller had melted. I then bought a black and decker and though it works it will have a bad squeak at times pop up.I have switched from buying new to trying ot find old tools and just go through. I have a box full of drills I bought here and there of old drills. I have all kinds of bigger tools like drill press,table saw,lathe,etc and most of it is pre 1960. I just find it works better.

MEZLAW wrote:Capacitors are a huge issue in electronics today . Sometimes i think they are made bad on purpose

Ken, I have to agree with you about capacitors. I can't begin to tell you how many capacitors I've had to change in Samsung telephone equipment. We had two different models of Samsung phones systems where over 95% of the installed systems died due to failed electrolyitic capacitors in the power supplies. My customers can't come to me, so I had a lot of windshield time which I never got compensation for.

After reading this thread I guess I'll keep my 30 plus year old Zenith running and not be to quick to get rid of it!

I know a guy who worked for a Telephone company that makes a lot of the telephone items used today. He was a accountant and one time he was working on cutting costs of manufacturing. He found out that China made caps were being bought at 17 cents while USA made caps were 19 cents each. He got to dig and found out the transportation costs of the USA made caps added to like 1 cent to each but the China made ones added like 5 cents which would make them higher. He estimated if they switched to the USA made ones they could save like 100 grand a year. He presented it to the supervisors thinking it would be a job well done but they almost chewed him out. They told him they never took into account the shipping and never would. They told him to forget it that the caps would be made in China, end of story. He got tired of it and moved to the area I am in and opened up a paint store. For whatever reason this company refused to even think of making them here in the USA. The phones are assembled in the USA but the parts are from China.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am

willy3486 wrote: .......The phones are assembled in the USA but the parts are from China.

Same as those fancy Bose Radios.... Chinese parts.
Quite a bit of stuff assembled here contains parts from overseas.

repairtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:50 pm

My wife has a Sunbeam mixer like the one on repairtech's post. Only hers is all chrome. She also has an all stainless steel one, and a white one. She uses the white one to make bread. They will run forever. Most parts are still available.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:01 pm

I have the same model, and, color of 1950 Sunbeam Mix Master my mother had, Re furbished with an all new power cord.
Two white glass bowls of different sizes, and, an orange squezer as well.
It runts great.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 am

Bill Cahill wrote:I have the same model, and, color of 1950 Sunbeam Mix Master my mother had
Sunbeam Mixmasters are sought after by collectors here and were the most popular mixer back in the 50s.
Can be worth quite a few dollars with all the bowls, whisks, etc.
Ron.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:23 am

I have two different sized bowls, the beaters, and, the orange wquezing attachment. Wish I coulld get the Meat grinder, but, haven't found the right one.
It has the original stand.
I won't be selling it, but, it's nice to know.
How much they worth, just out of interest??
Bill Cahill

Mine is the 1950 model.
You gotta love that big round knob on the back.
My mother's kicked the bucket years ago, and, ended up in the trash.
She had it in the attic. I pulled it down as a tenn ager. I tried fixing it, and, failed, and, it hit the trash can.
Motor had frozen up, and, as I remember, my mother got smoke out of it.I believe I found motor to be burned.
Don't know what happenned to it. I think it was used, and, abused alot.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Mezlaw.....I have 3 Vizio flat panels. One is 5 years old, one 4 and one 3. Never have a minutes troulbe out of any of them, except trying to figure out how to hook the darn things up. It is much simplier now with HDMI cable. Quick and easy. I have a Gateway 42 inch plasma 8 years old, still running strong. I like Vizio.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Along with all this stuff i had found out bad capacitors are a problem with these home printers too . I had a couple 250$ ones here that had bulging top capacitors .

Many times in some products , certain capacitors are used to hold voltages down in the circuitry . When some of this modern stuff works for a long time ... 5 , 6 , 7 years if those caps go bad enough the circuitry sits there and slowly boils till something gives such as shorting output or regulator chip or transistor . Looks like things are working fine till ''that day''
Nothing we can do accept install sockets along the top of the tv set with all the capacitors showing so we can ''monitor'' them Neutral

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum