I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I Made A Move Into The 21st Century Empty I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:28 pm

I FINALLY broke down, and, abandoning my normal resistance to "progress", bought a flat panel tv set. My wife had been wanting one for eons. I feel that the technology is relatively untested, nobody can repair one, I have read every scare story you can imagine about the horrors of digital. I was thorougly satisfied with my old CRT sets, thank you. LCD, LED, plasma, 60hz, 120hz, 240hz, refresh rate, "Smart tv", all that techno-babble. What happened to the good old days when you went to the RCA or Zenith dealer, the wife picked out the appropriate cabinet, you wrote a check, they delivered it in a couple of days, and you were done.

I shopped every store on earth, and online. NOBODY who sells tv's knows beans about one. Nobody works on one. Nobody delivers and installs one. Nobody can tell you how to make the damned thing work. There are no knobs to turn and expect a result. Just dumb little buttons to push and a bunch of "programming" and cussing to get the silly thing to be a tv. Video in, video out, audio in and out, left and right, digital and analog, USB, HDMI, blah, blah, blah.....

I did what all the experts said NOT to do. I went to Walmart, ordered an RCA 50" LCD, 60hz "Dumb" tv. Came with a sorround system all for $639. No tax. "Site to Store". I picked it up when they called me, took it home, pulled out the book, read for a few minutes. Dug the tv out of the box. Packed really well. Sat the tv on its table, plugged in power and cable, pushed the power button on the remote, selected Channel 5 and.....voila! A tv picture. Judge Judy giving some poor slob sand about being behind on child support. Sweet victory!

The surround sound system was actually simple enough that I got it working with NO cussing. This cheap old RCA has a fantastic picture, decent sound, really good with the surround system on, and the wife can read the little words that sneak across the bottom of the screen. I got this tv cheap enough that, if it takes a dump, I can donate it to the 19th Avenue landfill. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars for a flat panel tv. I have a friend with a $2400 Samsung, and my RCA has a better picture.

I realize that most of you have been in the 21st century for some time now. I am slowly getting there. I am in no hurry.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

I Made A Move Into The 21st Century Empty Re: I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm

NOBODY who sells tv's knows beans about one. Nobody works on one. Nobody delivers and installs one. Nobody can tell you how to make the damned thing work.

Exactly! I have yet to buy a new TV, all of mine have been someone else's junk and my biggest investment was a "Sams".

Most of my TV's are so old they have 300 ohm antenna connections and no remote! I've got better things to waste my money on. When I do get a "flat panel" I'll also go to Wal-Mart!
lol!

Back to top Go down

I Made A Move Into The 21st Century Empty Re: I Made A Move Into The 21st Century

Post by ChrisH664 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Good for you and congratulations. I haven't taken "the jump" yet. My 15 yr old 32" JVC is still crankin' along just fine. I won it as a sales promotion but, of course, it was considered taxable as a bonus so I got to see how much it cost the company on my paystub. $675 for it back then. We don't watch alot of TV. I watch a few shows but find no need to watch them in HD. I am not one to sit and watch sports. I suppose the time will come to get one...maybe a good used one?
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 pm

TV's today are disposable. Our TV died 2 years ago and we just went to Wal Mart and bought another for under $200. When this one dies, it will be tossed and we will buy another. Seems most of the current electronics are disposable. Rolling Eyes
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by stringbender31 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:58 pm

N7ZAL wrote:TV's today are disposable. Our TV died 2 years ago and we just went to Wal Mart and bought another for under $200. When this one dies, it will be tossed and we will buy another. Seems most of the current electronics are disposable. Rolling Eyes

Exactly. Electronics today aren't built to last like they were. They are made with cheapo parts and manufactures seem to be more interested in quantity instead of quality. We are lucky nowadays if we get a few years out of them. Mad
stringbender31
stringbender31

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Ahem, this "nobody works on one" is bull.

I, along with hundreds of others, are in the tv repair profession.
We're just as busy as we were back in the 80's, and the professional tech websites that we trade information on are busy as well.

Indeed, a lot of shops closed over the past decade or two... but service centers are around.

As for the "throw away mentailty" - that's fine, but in my opinion a waste of money too.
Ya buy a cheap set, ya got a cheap set.... and buy another, and another - silly thinking, unless you're loaded.

As for wildcat445's purchase - yeah, he spent $639 on an RCA branded junker - that statistically will end up dead, ready for the trash, because parts are rarely available to repair it.

But, for $700, he could have purchased a nice, full featured and easy to use 47" Panasonic LED model. - with much better "guts" and picture quality, and much less prone to failure because it's made in Japan, as opposed to the chinese-made RCA set.

These are facts, results of surveys, on my pro-tech sites.
And no, I'm not a Panasonic rep, I just know they built great sets.

But, alas, it's his money.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:13 pm

All of our analog TVs are gone except one. A little AC/DC portable we use to use in the camper. My wife has it in her office next to the computer. All the rest (4) are LCD. Prices are dropping. Just saw a 48" SONY for under $500 today. First 32" I bought (without a tuner) was over $900 six or seven years ago.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:13 pm

I doubt it would be worth a repair cost for a $200 TV for instance. Repair centers are closing and they are dying profession. You're very lucky and hope your luck continues. I owned a service center in the 90's and saw the decline. Again you are very lucky !
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I am stuck in 1999 as well. We don't have one yet, just the picture tube types. I do have a blueray DVD thats never been used. My wife wanted one and our daughter picked it out, I told them we needed to make sure it worked on our set. Guess what, they ignored me and it doesn't. It needs the HDMI cable. I can use that for a excuse to get one cheers.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:02 pm

I am casting about for one, wanting to beat the reaper with my nearly 20 yr. old Philips. I know Panasonic makes a number of good products, I'll have to research their tv's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:19 pm

I've looked at the Vizio LED TV's, does anyone have any experience with them?

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 pm

MEZLAW wrote:I've looked at the Vizio LED TV's, does anyone have any experience with them?

Google them, seems like there was one model that had a issue and the company wouldn't fix it. Seems like it was a design flaw. They would give you a credit for a new one. I won't swear to it being Vizio but I think it was. I have one of the glass picture tube TVs and it has been a great TV. It won't go out so I can get a LCD. As far as LCDs goes I don't know how they are in TVs but LG has made LCDs for computers for a long time. I have seen a lot of LGs on laptops I replace broken screens on. I think it stands for lucky Goldstar and it bought out Zenith if I remember correctly.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 am

MEZLAW wrote:NOBODY who sells tv's knows beans about one. Nobody works on one. Nobody delivers and installs one. Nobody can tell you how to make the damned thing work.

Exactly! I have yet to buy a new TV, all of mine have been someone else's junk and my biggest investment was a "Sams".

Most of my TV's are so old they have 300 ohm antenna connections and no remote! I've got better things to waste my money on. When I do get a "flat panel" I'll also go to Wal-Mart!
lol!

What? You mean there are other places to get a TV besides the alley?
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 am

I did a search and found out this link. This sounds like the story I remember. One thing I have seen lately on electronics is that to me it seems like they put the very minimum voltage rating on caps. I have seen it on dell computers,apple computers and many printers. I think its the xerox 3450 printer they put 12 volt caps on and I found out if I replace them with 16 volt caps of same MMF they work like a charm. If I replace with 12 volts they go out again. So I go with 16 and they won't quit. So if you have trouble with the TV it may be as simple as replacing caps. I need to keep an eye on a lcd TV thats went out, maybe I could get me one by changing caps out.
http://hdguru.com/disposable-tvs-vizio-tells-owners-their-sets-are-un-repairable/5485/

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am

terrydec wrote:

What? You mean there are other places to get a TV besides the alley?

You do that too?

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 am

I guess most of us gets our tv bottled as opposed to flattened then. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 am

My last TV was a "free-come and pick it up" 27". The 32" in the living room was $25. The 13" in the kitchen was on the curb-With the remote.

"Good things come to good people". Smile
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 am

At work they are closing a building. There are rooms all over with the 32+ inch TVs or better. I don't know the size but they are at least 40 inches wide. Most work and all are going to be junked. If they wasn't too big I could get one for free as they go to recyclers. I don't even think I could get it in my car. If they were only flatscreen.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:14 am

I've seen the build quality of almost every brand of tv, flat-screen too.
I've been servicing them for decades now.... I should know.

Again, I'm not preaching towards Panasonic, but they are the ONLY ones today that manufacture their own parts in Japan, and their build quality is above the other brands - you take the back off a Panny and compare it with ANYthing these days.

Sony = parts from china, boards/panels by Samsung - taiwan
Vizio = crapola design, same deal.
Toshiba = went downhill too.
RCA, Sylvania/Funai, Westinghouse, Polaroid, Philips/Magnavox Sansui, etc etc.... all junk.
THESE are the sets people drag in the shop ALL the time - barely 1-3 years old.

The brand I RARELY see come in the shop?
Panasonic.

After 21 years at the same shop, I oughta know.
But... the poor suckers keep us in business by buying those garbage sets. Very Happy

repairtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:37 am

Let's see....... About ten years ago I went to the sale of a store that went out of business. They were selling all the remainning electronics in as is condition for usually cheap prices. I bought this Admiral 23" stereo color tv with a picture tube. I made sure it was woriking correctly in the store before I bought it.
To this day, that set is still working. It's my daily user set. Picture tubes is still good. I found this is one of the last tv's of this model made in Japan. Yes, plastic has dis intergrated inside, and, it's a good thing I was able to get a remote control that does all the normal functions.
But, the later ones of this model were all made in China, out of cheaper materials, and, those sets have been breaking down left, and, right.

I wouldn't have a flat screen if you gave it to me. They are junk, plain, and, simple.
The mentality has always been if it's cheaper, make it cheaper. Now, it's a mentality of make everything cheaper to sell more.
Many electronics things today the mannufacturer will only service the set, and, supply parts as long as it is in warantee. When that ends, so do repairs. The parts are unobtainium.
These sets are rapidly filling the landfills, and, the plastic on them will take centuries to dis intergrate.
I personally like knobs on my stuff. I'm learning to accept transistors, but, still prefer tubes.
I don['t like hd, loathe flat screen, and, can't stand electronics with computers in them.
I could go on, and, on with this, but, you don't want to hear all the technicals. I'm not just stating these things from the "uneducated" top of my head. I have been watching for many years now, and, am able to say what I say in full knowledge.
Some modern sets, as repair tech says can be repaired, and, there are service centers for such stuff. However, even these centers are going under due to the fact that much of the stuff sold by China you can no longer get parts beyond the life of the waranty.
It is expensive to build quality, and, that's where they have us over the barel. Cheap definately means cheap quality.
But, nowadays, even expensive doesn't mean that it can be repaired when it fails. Some can, most can't.
And, they have raised the cost of the parts enough so that it's far cheaper to buy a new set.
I like some of the improvements in electronics, but, most I don't. And, I hate computers. I don't like lhd, I loathe wide screen, and, I really prefer a full picture on my set.
Yes, I'm old fashionned, and, proud of it.
Yes, we are a dyeing breed. But, a breed I'm proud to be a member of.
I say whenever possible, repair, rather than throw away, and, buy new.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks for the link, looks like Vizio is out for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 am

I am with you on that Bill. I had a old Sylvania that we bought in the late 80s just after we got married. I told one of the old TV guys if he got a good used 25 inch TV he wanted to sell let me know because I would buy it. He got it in with a bad picture tube and put a tube in it that was from one that was almost new that was hit by lightning. We used it for over 30 years and all I ever did to it was to replace diodes in it and ocasionally hook up the BK tube tester to clean it. The flyback coil finally died and I replaced it. They just don't make them like that anymore. I would love to have one of the old B&W Zeniths with the tube sockets mounted on the metal frame. You couldn't hardly kill those sets.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:44 pm

My bedroom tv is a 20 inch stereo Magnavox, made in Greenville NC in 1990.
Philips style P-1 chassis.
It was an abandoned set that a customer left in the shop in 1994, with a bad picture tube. (they didn't want to spend the lousy $110 on a replacement)

I purchased a new 20 inch aftermarket tube from my local distributor, and it's been a perfect set ever since.

Odd, it doesn't have one chinese part in it, and it lasts so long without trouble...... GO FIGURE.

repairtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Every website I went on, on every brand of tv you can imagine, all had post after post of people having trouble with their flat panel tv. Even Panasonic. Sanyo, Sony, LG, you name it, people were having problems with it. I was perfectly satisfied with my CRT sets, some of which were from the 1950's and still working just fine, thank you. I regularly watch a 1971 RCA XL-100 27"that I bought new, a 1992 RCA Home Theater 36" console that I paid over $1400 for new, a 1996 RCA 36" that still sits in the family room. Why would I want a flat panel set?

I really did not want to sit in my living room and see a "foreign" brand on my new flat panel tv. I wanted to have a "real" brand, even if it was a mere shadow of its former glory. I considered Zenith, RCA, Magnavox, and Emerson. I settled on RCA, merely out of respect for my RCA's of old. I couldn't see a dime's worth of difference, either in build quality, or in picture quality. I would not even consider paying a shop several hundred dollars to fix a tv that cost me less than $500, minus the cost of the surround sound system. Nobody I talked to had had any good things to say about their efforts at having a flat panel repaired. And another thing. Walk into a store that sells tv's and they have display tv's that run 24-7 for a year or until the models change. That is more than most sets will get run in 20 years. So I figure I am good for at least 10 years, maybe more, with my "piece of crap" RCA. I am, at least thus far, thrilled. Wifey can see the little words at the bottom of the screen, and I can watch my 40 year old XL-100.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess

regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Another consideration that I had in my purchase was Walmart. I have had good customer service there. They seem to stand behind what they sell, and make sure I am satisfied. They will repair, or replace the item, to my satisfaction, regardless of manufacture's warranty. That will likely not happen everywhere.

There are no service facilities around where I live that gave me any satisfaction that they were qualified to repair any brand of flat panel that I might purchase. So, I bought our flat panel with price being the number one consideration and a "real" brand name being the next. I have researched this purchase for a couple of years. I have watched lots of display tv's. Everybody's results will vary and their needs will be different.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next