At Work Today

Go down

At Work Today Empty At Work Today

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 am

All our shop equipment is being calibrated this week. My boss was going over some equipment and the cal tech asked him what do you want to do with these. I guess we will junk them. nobody uses them. they were looking at 2 immaculate Simpson 260's and a Tektronix 2235 scope in perfect shape. I could use these. BAD! I'd give them a better price than the dump. Employees can't even consider purchase. Now, to forget them.

Back to top Go down

At Work Today Empty Re: At Work Today

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:42 am

Employees can't even consider purchase

Sorry to hear that, I don't think it's good for morale. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:52 am

Quit then by them Razz

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Did you ask to purchase them?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Can you ask them if they are willing to sell them to our forum members rather than take a total loss on them. We would be willing to post them for sale here on our forum without obligation.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm

...a goat slipped on the sidewalk.....
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:28 pm

It is a part of the sop that employees can't purchase such items. I had went over this strenuously with one of my supervisors who said what would prevent you to disable a piece of equipment in a repairable manner to put it out on sale. The company has 'channels' that they go through to release their excess inventory. I have yet to see a publicly announced sale of anything except for lost property or evidence that our police division sells at auction. Employees are cut out of that also. Believe me, if there were a way around the system, I would be bragging about my new acquisitions! Smile One other thing, the job is too good to risk and I hope to retire one day from here.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Wild...seems they could at least donate them to somewhere?

Reminds me of a guy I know who worked for Waste Connections doing residential pickup for a few years. Strict regulations state "no scrapping". No warnings, no suspensions...fired first time they catch you.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Preecisely the motive force behind our rules also! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I have had decent luck with stuff like this. At my preveous job they would let us have any computers out of the 3 year old standard if it was broke. We had tens of thousands of computers so we would have stacks of the same models. I would get a trunk full of them, mostly laptops. I pieced together so many I gave them away as Christmas presents. They would have to pay to have them recycled so they were glad to see us get them. I hated it when I got laid off.

The one I have now is similar. My boss knows I tinker with stuff so he offers me stuff at times to haul it off. We have to have stuff recycled as well and we have no room for storage of junk. He found two brand new TV apartment type booster amps that the contractor left. He asked if I wanted them.

One job I had about 25 years ago you could ask for stuff and they would give it to you if it was junk. I worked maintainence and I helped a guy to gut the wiring out of a section. I asked for the wire and got it. I had probably 300 pounds of copper wire. I still have some I can use from that. Some of it was junk but I recycled it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I can understand the reasons, but I've always saw it as an employee "benefit." Shame things have changed so much. Crying or Very sad
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 pm

When I worked for Sperry Univac, they had some nice equipment auctions. I still have a Lambda 24v 5a variable power supply I bought for $5. Bought a few heavy heat sink panels I've used for indexing cut film to mount stereo slides.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 am

That sounds so crazy that I smell a rat. Maybe someone with an ulterior motive?
Hint- Steal the Simpson. It's worth the risk.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 am

I reckon it is already enroute to it's great reward or some authority figures' collection.. Fortunately I have a 269 III I bought a couple of years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 am

Who knows why a company has the policies they do regardless of what they say. My Dad was a machine shop foreman for a big company that had a policy of selling old equipment to only management employees. My Dad and I set up our own machine shop with equipment he was able to buy from his company. They would weigh the equipment, then charge whatever the going scrap price was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 am

When rules are "oddly specific", it usually indicates someone has played the system at one time, and a rule was imposed to shut the barn door after the animals escaped.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:11 am

MEZLAW wrote:Who knows why a company has the policies they do regardless of what they say. My Dad was a machine shop foreman for a big company that had a policy of selling old equipment to only management employees. My Dad and I set up our own machine shop with equipment he was able to buy from his company. They would weigh the equipment, then charge whatever the going scrap price was.

Back about 20 years ago I got laid off and lucked up on a job as a setup guy, I put dies in the punch press to run. They had a policy that if you wanted scrap you could buy it for the going rate of scrap metal. I bought all kinds of steel, rods, flat pieces etc. The best deal I got was the main setup guy got tired of these clamps that they had made. they would work loose and you couldn't keep them tight. They had taken large 12 inch C clamps and cut them in two pieces with a long bar in the middle. I got them for like 50 cents and took them home. I cut the clamps apart and welded back like original. I still have them and they work great for me. I got like 2 or 3 of them. They also would give you the skids steel plate came in on. There were 10 feet long 4x4 posts and two to a skid. I got a bunch for my father in law to build a barn. Its amazing what is thrown away thats still good.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:34 pm

There have been three occasions when I have made out when companies went out of business and I went dumpster diving. The best was when the radio station I worked at was sold and moved to a new location. They had been in the old location since 1956. The basement and dumpster were gold mines. I pulled out a complete production studio including a Gates stereo board, a Scully two track recorder with roll around cabinet and an extra set of heads still in the box, two record/play cart machines and a bunch of other stuff, plus all of the manuals.

The second best was when a local university stopped its AV program. I got the entire "on Air" studio including a Tascam model 32 tape deck, a Russco turntable, a Sparta board, a cart machine and the broadcast version of the Shure 55sw mic, (with the R5 element). I've sold everything except the tape deck and the mic.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down