Practical jokes

Go down

Practical jokes Empty Practical jokes

Post by Motorola man on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:29 am

I didn't want to hijack a legitimate radio related post, so I decided to continue this discussion in a more appropriate place.

My brother and I work together, and we both enjoy a good prank. As a matter of fact, most of our coworkers do too. We sometimes go to great lengths to keep ourselves entertained. Here are just a few of our antics.

One of my favorites involved a rubber snake and an air horn. Rubber snakes have always been a staple around our shop, but this one was in a different league. I taped the air horn behind a desk drawer and put the snake inside the drawer. It took several days for the unsuspecting salesman to open the drawer. When he did, the snake startled him & he slammed the drawer closed, which hit the button on the horn, letting out a very loud blast. The noise startled him & he pulled the drawer open again and once again the snake scared him & he slammed the drawer closed again & another blast from the horn. Laughter ensued.

My dear brother wired a model rocket igniter and a pack of firecrackers to the power supply on my bench. When I turned the bench on, I heard a sizzle and saw smoke billowing from my power supply. I realized what was happening before the firecrackers started going off. The salesman from the previous shenanigans did not. I thought that he was going to foul his undergarments. The boss came walking back & asked what was going on. My brother and I said in unison, "nothing". He just shook his head, gave us the "what's wrong with those boys" look and walked away.

The igniters made an appearance once again, but this time it was wired with a smoke bomb to the ignition of one of the service vans. A thick blanket of smoke began to pour from underneath the dash when the technician started the vehicle. He bailed out and ran for the nearest fire extinguisher, while my brother and I laughed profusely.

We had an employee who had a clown phobia and had begun to slack off in his work. We tied a creepy looking clown to the 15' ceiling in the bay with a sign that said "the eyes of Binky are upon you". We also hid all of the ladders. When he arrived to work the next day & saw the clown, he refused to go back out to the bay for about an hour. Once he built up the courage, he found a long stick, climbed up on the work bench and beat the clown until it fell on the floor and broke. A little while later, I snuck out to the bay and gathered the shattered remains of Binky. I spent the evening glueing him back together and drew stitch marks across all of the cracks. A few days later, Binky was once again hanging proudly from the ceiling. It really creeped the employee out. The boss saw the resurrected clown with his sign, he asked me "what's a Binky?" I explained the employee's phobia and told him that we put Binky out there to inspire the employee to work harder. His response was "ok, carry on."

Another employee was replacing an antenna on the roof of an ambulance one day. With the stealth of a ninja, I snuck out to the bay and removed the ladder from beside the vehicle, leaving the worker stranded on the roof, about 10' from the safety of the floor. At that point, I tossed a stink bomb onto the cab of the ambulance, completely out of reach of the employee and walked away. The poor soul had nowhere to go.

These are just a few of many pranks we've pulled over the years. What are some of your practical jokes?

Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Practical jokes Empty Re: Practical jokes

Post by harold wright on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I did not do this but was privy to it. Some telephone (ATT) long lines techs were out of town working on underground co ax cable that conn Atlanta to Birmingham. Their foreman was with them. Foreman was a very straight laced/God fearing fellow--no cussing, drinking, flirting w. strange women for him. "The men" borrowed a female mannequin and put it in the boss's bed, pulled the covers up and waited for evening. They had adjoining motel rooms. After they all went to their rooms for the night, they heard loud screaming from the boss's room and he came running out yelling something about "you devils, you devils" to the men, who were laughing hard.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by harold wright on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Hiding behind a 50 KW transmitter with a 1x6 board"spring loaded" while a student radio man is maxing the grid current and dipping the plate current--and slapping the board against the floor--sounds like a big relay or an arc in HV. Scares them every time.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

I live on one of the main roads and there was a sign put by the county for the basketball team when they won a state championship. Teenagers stole it a couple of times. It was late one summer weekend and we had the windows up. I heard a noise and it was a couple of teens trying to get the sign up. I listened for a few minutes and got my noise box out. The noise box was a sound maker I had made from plans. I had it hooked up to a horn loudspeaker. I then put the speaker out the second floor window and cut it on. I heard "What the #$% is that?? Where is it coming from? ".

After a couple of minutes of that I yelled out the window "Ethel!! get in the house!! The flying sauser is back and they are liable to do you like the cow when they cut parts off of it. " They started screaming and yelling. The flashed their flashlight as a signal. Then a truck came by slow and as it did you could hear them jump in the bed. I heard a "wheres the sign? Then another fellow yelled out "get the $%^##$ out of here before we get killed. The sign was never stolen after that.

One job I had we played jokes on each other. One guys wife had a baby and he was out a week. When he came back we stacked small boxes in his entire cube. It took him at least an hour. One fellow went on vacation and we put up a new version of him in his chair. We used CDs as eyes. When he came back he was fussing and I told him he better close more calls this week as his cardboard replacement closed about ten more last week than he usually does.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 am

Once every couple of months the local teens pull up a stop sign and place it right smack dab in the middle of the most god-awful hill around. If you are not paying attention it can suck ya right in.

I like electronic pranks. I worked for HP making spectrum analyzers in the seventies. They used tuned cavity mixing and several slugs had to be adjusted for freq response as the tech was setting them up.

Once a newbie got the "hang" of the process we'd wait until they were at lunch or break and open up the cavity of the current bench-unit. We'd then toss in these little beetles native to the area after applying a little metallic paint to their body/wings and seal it back up. We'd then watch across the bench as the poor soul would chase a freq. respose that was subject to the movement of a bug getting zapped by low-level microwaves...

I've got another involving canned freon, a pressurized water bottle and a sleeping supervisor but I'll save it.
Tony

Last edited by DancingBear on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm

One of the engineers at the company I worked for used to keep a bowl of those green wafer peppermints on his desk for him and the other guys in his shop. The problem was with their boss. He was forever coming out of his office and grabbing a handful of mints and taking them back into his office without so much as a thank you, or even a contribution to make up for what he took.

One day, the engineer refilled the bowl and told the others to be sure and 'NOT' take any of the mints. He also instructed that when the boss came out for his daily helping, to wait till he popped one in his mouth and then try to keep him busy for whatever reason they could come up with.

The engineer, instead of using the usual green wafer mints, used those green wafers that folks use to clean false teeth.

Anyhow, the boss came out and immediately popped not one, but two mints in his mouth. That's when the others started in on the boss..... "Hey, I need you to check this out", Before you go, I need you to sign this", etc.

The boss did good at trying to hide it, but you could not miss the tears forming in his eyes and the small hint of green foam at the edge of his lips.

He never took any more mints after that.
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 pm

When I was a kid back in the '60's, it was common practice to put a potato into the tail pipe of the visiting basketball team bus. The potato would shoot out when the bus engine was started, and make a loud noise when it shot out and bounced off the wall of the gym.

There was a visiting team that was our school's main county rival. They had a brand new '63 Ford school bus, with a 292 V-8 in it. We decided to stuff TWO potatoes in the tail pipe of that bus, since it was new and would make a louder noise. We got two of the biggest Irish Cobbler spuds we could find and stuffed them into the bus tailpipe. Now the secret to success was to wait until the tailpipe was cool, so the potato would not swell too much. We stuffed the two potatoes into the hot tailpipe of the new bus. After the game, the bus driver mounted up and fired up the engine. We waited like what seemed forever and the potatoes did not come out. No explosion like it should have made. Suddenly, there was this horribly loud BOOM. Kids came off that bus like a shot. The potatoes had swelled too much, and the muffler had exploded on the bus, with pieces of shrapnel coming up thru the floor. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The perpetrators were never found and punished, but the tradition of stuffing tailpipes of buses with potatoes ended that very day.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 pm

When I worked the night shift the building had one exit to the parking lot. I found a cicada in the lot and brought it into the shop with me and kept it in a bell jar until end of shift. I gave it a little bath in freeze mist and tied a thread around it and tacked it to the exit door jamb just high enough to grab a hug full of hair when it came to, from the ladies leaving the shop. Mega laughs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum