Flu Shot?

Go down

Flu Shot? Empty Flu Shot?

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Wednesday I was at my doctor. While I was there they took some blood and recommended a flu shot. Sure, why not?

Around 3 AM I started having a seizure. I've had seizures before, mainly when my blood sugar dropped suddenly, but I've NEVER had a seizure like this. And I was burning up. I keep some water and pain medication next to my bed, and I happened to have a muscle relaxer there too. I took the pills, spilling water all over the bed. About half an hour later I had calmed down enough to get to the bathroom and find my thermometer. By this time my temperature was !01.8 Two hours later it had come down to 101.4. I'm sure it had started at 102. Of course I had to walk Rocky, which I did using a crutch to keep from falling down and I felt terrible. I continued feeling sick all day and stayed in bed. When I went out last night I could walk but still felt lousy.

Today I'm much better, except for feeling like I've been in a wreak. Every muscle and joint hurts like hell, especially my wrists for some reason. I have to go out later, to the bank, grocery-places like that, but in the meantime I'm just gonna take it easy.
I don't get the flu during the season anyway-maybe a bad cold. And I doubt if I'll get another shot. I'll take my chances.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Flu Shot? Empty Re: Flu Shot?

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm

The current shots actually have a 2 for 1 combo. Not sure if it is a live virus this time. I'm lucky and got the flu shot, shingles shot, and pneumonia booster...without any side effects.

At least you are over the side effect. Crying or Very sad
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 pm

That might be the shot that I got. They said that it was a special shot for people over 65.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Just got mine today. But it must have been the under 65 shot.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm

I've got to remember to get one. Probably catching the flu will remind me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 pm

It takes about six weeks for a flu shot to work it's magic. I got one last month and came down with a full blown case of the flu just three weeks later. I very rarely get so much as a sniffle, but it put me down for a week.
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 pm

I've never had a Flu shot and never get sick so I think I'll stick with what I'm doing. I keep hearing I should consider getting a Flu shot as I get older, I'm 62 years young. Do you think they really work?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 am

I got one last year, and I didn't get the flu. I usually do. By the by I'm 56.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:38 am

Well, I see this thread going a couple of ways-
Reminding people to get a flu shot is a good thing.
Remembering that any medical procedure, even getting a shot, can have side effects is a good thing too.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Well I got mine yesterday and have felt like crap all day today. Hopefully I will be fine tomorrow. If so it's a lot better than getting the full blown flu.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:27 am

Ya know, all this hype about that goofy flu shot - I'm almost 60, I never got one, not about to get one, and don't take or need any meds, and from what I see - people that DO get them tend to be more sickly.
It's funny, but I don't suffer from that crap.
But.... the good part is, the medical association gets its benefit$ from sticking that needle in people.

Also, people I see taking various meds are more sickly.
And never seem to be rid of health issues, no matter how many pills they take.
But those pharmacies are getting rich.

Sounds like a big scam to me.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 am

Re: Flu Shot?

New post by repairtech Today at 9:27 pm
Ya know, all this hype about that goofy flu shot - I'm almost 60, I never got one, not about to get one, and don't take or need any meds, and from what I see - people that DO get them tend to be more sickly.
It's funny, but I don't suffer from that crap.
But.... the good part is, the medical association gets its benefit$ from sticking that needle in people.

Also, people I see taking various meds are more sickly.
And never seem to be rid of health issues, no matter how many pills they take.
But those pharmacies are getting rich.

Sounds like a big scam to me.

You're very lucky to have such great health and hope you appreciate it !
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm

I never get the shot either. It was one of those, "Sure, why not?" moments.
However, I do take a lot of medication.
Two of them are to control my mental health problem. The side effect of these is that they raise my blood pressure.
Blood pressure medication- This is because my psychiatric pills raise my blood pressure.
Synthroid. This medication is because I have hypothyroid. I never knew that this condition was the reason my eyes bugged out. I looked like a fish.
Prilosec for GURD. If you've ever spent all day and all night feeling like a dog is sitting on your chest and you can't belch, then you know this feeling.
Melioxicam-An arthritis medication. It doesn't work but has a beneficial side effect. (See pain medication.)
Pain medication. The side effects of this are hard to describe. It does NOT make me feel 'high', 'euphoric', or even pain free. Mostly it makes me feel like I've had too much coffee, and not in a good way. It does keep my chronic pain at a tolerable level. However it causes constipation. (See Melioxicam.)
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Ah, back to feeling normal today. So a one day reaction to the shot (maybe it was the shot). Just have to hold out for a couple of weeks as the Dr. says it takes two weeks for it to work.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Steve Johnson wrote:Ah, back to feeling normal today. So a one day reaction to the shot (maybe it was the shot). Just have to hold out for a couple of weeks as the Dr. says it takes two weeks for it to work.

Good- Now let's just hope it's for the right strain of flu. Shocked
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down