Motorola 6Y

Go down

Motorola 6Y

Post by tsisko on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Hello All,

I was wondering if I could get a bit of help with the restoration of my Motorola 6Y.
I replaced all the caps except the multi cardboard cap (16, 25, 2, 2 mfd). All tubes have been tested and the bad ones have been replaced. I get a hum out of the speaker but no reception. Where should I start? Thank you in advance for any insight.
tsisko

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorola 6Y

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 pm

First, if it's a non variable hum, your cardboard filter in power supply is bad. If it's a low variable hum might be silver mica desease in your I F transformers, or, oscilator isn't working.
What is the tube line up in this set?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4582
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tsisko on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Bill,
Thank you for the quick reply! It is a non variable hum.
Tubes are: 6A8G, 6K7G, 6H6G, 6F5G, 6V6G, & 5Y3
I didn't replace the multi cardboard filter because I didn't have the caps. I just fired it up today with the findings I detailed. Do you think I should take care of the multi and see what happens?
tsisko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 pm

That is the electrolytics of the radio. They are bad, and, need replacing. Be very careful. Very sensitive, must have new ones wired in correctly. Positive ends must go where old positive leads connected, and, negative where old negative leads went. If miswired, you will do severe dammage to new electrolytics, dammage the radio, and, could severely hurt yourself, and, do house dammge. Backwards wiring has been done and, caused new filters to explode.
If you need help, ask here.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:09 am

When starting a restoration, I recommend that you replace the electrolytic capacitors before anything else. They nearly always dry out over time, and are the mostly likely to cause major damage if they develop an internal short. I've seen electrolytics explode with the same force as an equally sized firecracker, which leads me to a recollection of days gone by...

Let me preface this account by stating the obvious, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else for that matter). In my younger days, my fellow techs and I would take an old extension cord and wire a single electrolytic capacitor to it. We would sneak up behind someone, drop the cap, go plug the extension cord into an AC socket and wait for the loud bang and the resulting string of foul words. It was a lot more stealthy than tossing a lit firecracker. Another favorite was to wrap a thin piece of solder around the prongs of someone's soldering iron. No one would notice it until they plugged it in. It causes a lovely blue spark and a symphony of four letter words that were enough to make a sailor blush. We had to stop that one after a few outlets got burned out. Ah the delights of youth and ignorance.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am

Doing HALF the job is not acceptable.

repairtech

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 am

Motorola man wrote:When starting a restoration, I recommend that you replace the electrolytic capacitors before anything else. They nearly always dry out over time, and are the mostly likely to cause major damage if they develop an internal short. I've seen electrolytics explode with the same force as an equally sized firecracker, which leads me to a recollection of days gone by...

Let me preface this account by stating the obvious, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else for that matter). In my younger days, my fellow techs and I would take an old extension cord and wire a single electrolytic capacitor to it. We would sneak up behind someone, drop the cap, go plug the extension cord into an AC socket and wait for the loud bang and the resulting string of foul words. It was a lot more stealthy than tossing a lit firecracker. Another favorite was to wrap a thin piece of solder around the prongs of someone's soldering iron. No one would notice it until they plugged it in. It causes a lovely blue spark and a symphony of four letter words that were enough to make a sailor blush. We had to stop that one after a few outlets got burned out. Ah the delights of youth and ignorance.
Dave

Motorola man, you must have gone to the same school as I did. One other thing we did was to attach two wires to a resistor and drop it in an empty soda bottle, then apply power to the resister and burn it up. Then we would set the "bottle of smoke" under someone's project and let the smoke escape. It was fun to watch the panic look on the persons face and then see their relief when they discovered it wasn't their project that was burning up!
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am

You nutz wwould probably love to do what one idiot did in junior high art class. He took a pair of scissors, and, plugged them into a 240 volt outlet. He loved the poping, and, banging. I ran for the hallway to get help. When it arrived, no one would admit to it, and, I was sent to the principle's office for lying.
Heh.......
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 pm

A fine piece of wire, bare, wrapped once or twice around the prongs of a plug - at the base where the prongs go into the plug - then left to an unsuspecting victim to plug in - we did that lots of times in the shop.
Loved the cursing afterwards. Very Happy

repairtech

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 pm

The multi electrolytic cap is usually the filter for the power supplies' output and that 60hz hum is an indication that it is no good. It is also a signal to unplug the radio until you replace it. Keep that in mind as you go through your other radios. Just replace the paper and electrolytic caps first.

Back to top Go down

Post by tsisko on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am

You guys are awesome! Now that you have given me a bunch of ideas on how to mess with my friends...who is going to bail me out of the State Penn? :-)
I did go ahead and replaced all the caps in the whole radio. The hum has gone away and I have the normal soft feed noise to the speaker. All the lights work..O' and by the way the light set up in this radio is very cool! It uses a light beam for the station indicator. I hooked up the an antenna to the "A" screw in the back and tested and checked all the tubes.
I am not receiving a signal or static when I try to tune. There is a "G" screw in the back. Do I have to hook it to ground to make this puppy work? I would think that even though "G" is not connected I should be getting some static?
tsisko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:49 pm

You don't need a ground wire. It should receive stations. Are you sure you made the proper connections? Have you tried checking any voltages? Perhaps you have an open resistor.
How much electronics knowledge do you have? It would be helpful for us to know what you know, and, what kind of equipment, and, tools you have at your hand. Sounds like you have at least some sort of soldering device, etc...
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tsisko on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 pm

I do have electronics knowledge but it is all in modern equipment.
I have, a multimeter (digital and analog), tube tester, I can get a signal tracer, and other test equipment from my neighbor. I have all the tools. I work for a electronics manufacture and have access to anything needed. I didn't think I needed the ground wire but I wanted to ask. This is only the second Old time radio that I have taken on. The other was a Zenith 7S363...it only needed to have the caps replaced and a new power cord and it fired up. I wanted to ask because I knew you guys would be able to point me in the right direction. I will check the resistors....here comes the fun, color codes!;-) thanks!
tsisko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down