There Oughta Be A Law......

Go down

There Oughta Be A Law...... Empty There Oughta Be A Law......

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:57 am

For the last 40 years or so, my wife and I have "adopted" a needy family for Christmas. We buy the kids items they would enjoy and get the family something. We invite them over for Christmas dinner, and include them in our family activities for the holiday season.

I am a suspicious person, and tend not to trust anybody. I conduct business like I am about to get screwed, and it works out okay for me. So I "interview" prospective families to make sure in my own mind that they are truly needy.

This program is supervised thru the wife's church. We got the address for "our family", called them and made arrangements to meet them and get ideas of things they needed. The address sounded strangely familiar to me. In a pretty good part of town, according to my memory. Sure enough, we arrived at a two story, 2500 square foot house, about 5 years old. There was an almost new Nissan Titan pickup in the driveway, along with an older Xterra. The garage door was open and inside there was a boat, a couple ATV's, a couple dirt bikes, jet ski, and bicycles, riding lawn mower, etc. We met the family. Everybody was knee deep in new sneakers. There was a laptop on the coffee table. A couple of the "needy" kids were texting on their Blackberries. There was a 70" LG flat panel tv in the great room. You get the idea.

So this year, our needy family is us. I bought the wife a ring she has been wanting, and I am going to treat myself to a 400 disc CD changer for my 50 year old Magnavox console stereo. When the "truly needy" have more than I do, it is time to reconsider my position.

We have volunteered to work in the local soup kitchen this year to make our contribution to the less fortunate. The need is still there, the "truly needy" are more fortunate than they used to be.

Everyone have a blessed holiday season.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

There Oughta Be A Law...... Empty Re: There Oughta Be A Law......

Post by repairtech on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

I suspect that "needy family" needs money to pay their electric bill, the phone(s) bill, and the car payments.

OH!....... and their credit card bills!

"Won't you please help?" LOL!

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

I would be ashamed to even consider accepting help from others until at least all that rolling stock had been liquidated and used to sustain the family.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

I can only hope that those who truly are in need are not further disadvantaged by the greed of a few. There certainly is misery enough to go around, it seems. It is still rewarding to help what we can whenever we can. I can only imagine what it must be like where Superstorm Sandy displaced so many people. The need there must be mind-boggling.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 pm

This is the same in one regard as any other expenditure. The need to achieve the most for those that most need it. The value for the dollar. This place has helped me when considering a organization that solicits me for donations.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm glad you are getting things for yourself this year.

I guess the old saying is true; Charity begins at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:29 pm

There are lots of people out there who need help. Then there are some who try to scam to get everything. My sister is like that. What I have seen is many of those who really are having it hard will not ask or beg for help. But many who are first in line for handouts are usually the scamming type. I really like this scene from a movie I saw once. I don't remember the movie or what it was about. The one thing I remember this family made a few baskets for the needy and would drive around, lay them at the door,knock , then run out of sight. They helped someone who might refuse help and did it without any pats on the back so to speak. I encourage all that can help others to do so. But when you do make sure they really need it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Forgive me, but I'm going to vent and it's going to touch on politics just a bit. I'm all in favor of helping someone who is truly in need, but our society has become so used to getting free hand outs, that they refuse to try to better themselves and just keep asking for more... AND WE ALLOW OUR GOVERNMENT TO KEEP GIVING IT TO THEM! I live in a city where a huge portion of the population are concidered "economically disadvantaged." Every day I see people abuse government assistance programs. Living in free housing, buying steak & lobster with food stamps, having children just to maintain their Medicaid, collecting welfare checks, collecting enormous tax refunds when they've never paid any taxes to begin with, yet they're driving around in brand new Cadillac Escalades, wearing expensive clothes, talking on their iphone, etc. etc. etc. This has gone on in many cases for four or more generations. Why would someone want to work hard for the things they need when they can get more by doing absolutely nothing? I can go on and on, but I'll stop there.

The point of my rant is, please carefully concider who you're giving to. Make sure that you help those who TRULY need it, those who may be down on their luck, those who have lost everything through no fault of their own or those who just are not able to help themselves. Remember that many of those who SAY that they're "in need" are actually better off than those of us who want to help.

Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 am

The other week a shabby-looking dude was hanging out in front of the local Wawa...
He was hitting up people "for some spare change".
As I walked by he asked me for change - then his SmartPhone rang in his pocket -he pulled it out.

I kept walking.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 am

As I walked by he asked me for change - then his SmartPhone rang in his pocket -he pulled it out.

That's the part that gripes me, why do all these people have phones like this. I'm in the phone business and I do not have one!!!

I was walking into a resturant one day for lunch when a man stopped me and told me he was hungry and could I spare a few dollars. I said; I'll do better than that, come on in and sit at my table, you can order anything you want. He walked away, I guess he just wanted booze money!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum