Back from the dead: 1946 Crosley 56TC (with pics)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Back from the dead: 1946 Crosley 56TC (with pics)

Post by stringbender31 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I picked up a decent-looking 56TC a few months ago that was D.O.A in hopes I could learn a few things & get it playing again. I think it must have sat in an attic or closet for a very long time because most of the wiring was rotted and fell apart when i moved it. (And it had a lot of dust in it.)

I had to fabricate a new dial lamp holder since the the wiring on the original was trashed.

The wiring wasn't the only thing brittle on this radio, one of the lugs on the rectifier socket broke off when I touched it with the soldering gun, so the socket got replaced too.

So, I replaced the rotted stuff, recapped it, changed some out-of-spec resistors & power it up for the 1st time in who knows how long.
I brought it up on the dim-bulb, the tubes and dial lamp lit up but no sound. Checked voltages and found I had no B+, which I learned was caused by a bad field coil. (Which also made the speaker useless) I replaced it with a power resistor and permanent magnet speaker.

Fired it up again & to my surprise, still got nothing. After a lot of trouble shooting, signal injection, signal tracing, rechecking my work and a bunch of head-scratching, I pin-pointed it down to this little trouble maker here:

I didn't bother with this when I recapped it because I was always told that these rarely go bad & no need to change them. I learned that "rarely" does not mean "never" lol!

Here is the underside all finished

I'm happy to say it is now playing and sounds fantastic! I aligned it & let it play for over an hour with no issues whatsoever. It pulls in lots of stations with loud, clear volume.

Here's a couple shots to show how much dust was inside when i first opened it up. Needless to say, both the cabinet and chassis got a thorough cleaning!

I learned a lot with this radio & I'm very happy how it turned out (even though I'll admit I wanted to throw it out the window a few times Mad )

Hope u guys enjoyed it! Sorry about the blurry pictures

stringbender31

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Back from the dead: 1946 Crosley 56TC (with pics)

Post by Motorola man on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Great job. Looks really good.
-Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Nice work! I had one of those mica caps fail in my first console restoration, a Motorola 51-L

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 am

Great job, looks like you also replaced one tube socket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:19 am

Every time I see a radio with wire covered in rubber insulation it sends cold chills up my spine and flashback reminders of the old Joan Crawford movie line, "No wire hangers!!!!" .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mommie_Dearest_(film)

Great job on the restore.
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Nice job and came out great. How does it play?
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Looks nice!
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by stringbender31 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:14 am

Thanks guys. Up until this one, a simple cap job was enough to get the radios going that I worked on. This radio was a challenge for me and helped me learn quite a few new things. I have been working on it for a few months off & on, & I was really happy to hear music finally coming through it! Now I'm ready for the next one Very Happy
stringbender31

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top