AM radio station.

Go down

AM radio station. Empty AM radio station.

Post by terrydec on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Does anybody know if the FCC has started re-issuing new licenses under the "Local Community Radio Act"? The last I heard they had stopped giving out those licenses to allow commercial stations to start using those frequencies for translators.

There is an article in a local paper describing a new AM station on the air here in Louisville. The article says that they started issuing those licenses again In 2010. It goes on to say they are currently using a 1/10th watt transmitter which would imply that they are operating under Part 15. However they claim a reception area of about 5 square miles. The Part 15 rules and regulations, unless they have changed, only allow a transmitter to have a 3 meter antenna and a broadcast range limited to 200 meters. However they seem to believe that they either have, or are going to get a license.

I've checked the FCC website and the only community license posted is still the 100 watt LPFM. There is one LPFM station on the air here in Louisville and my understanding is that only one of these stations can operate in a community this size.

Any comments?
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

AM radio station. Empty Re: AM radio station.

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm

I have heard some odd things like that , in that they are pulling them or going to do something like they did TV channels. But don't quote me on that because I really can't say what it was, I don't remember it that well. I do know some of the wireless mikes are now illegal to use as they pulled the frequencies they used. I have a small AM transmitter that I use to transmit to my radios I am working on. It doesn't go to far. I may get one of the SStrans kits and build it. Its a shame when I get to where I can buy a kit ,heathkit goes under. My shop is a metal skinned building though and signal don't usually get in or out.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm

If you want a good AM transmitter then the SStands is the way to go. Some people recommend the Talking House transmitters too.

This is what I've heard-
The FCC used to issue a 10 watt 'Conditional' license for boy scout camps, church groups, neighborhood associations- stuff like that. You could get one with very little filing fees or engineering reports. Then they pulled all of those licenses in order to sell them to commercial stations. They began offering LPFM, or Low Power FM licenses for non-commercial use. To actually get the license is about ten grand. You need a lawyer to file and an engineer with a commercial license to do a plot plan.

There was an association here in Louisville that acquired one. It was originally issued to BRYCC house. The letters stood for Bardstown Road Youth Community Center. I tried working with them in an engineering consulting capacity twice. Each time I got burned. At the end all they wanted to do was broadcast profanity. Of course the FCC censured them and they are now in limbo. They recently got evicted and wanted me to come and rescue them again by setting up the transmitter and antenna at somebody's house. I passed.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down