Cannot access information on external hard drive

Go down

Cannot access information on external hard drive Empty Cannot access information on external hard drive

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 pm

This thread continues a discussion from an earlier thread.

Just as a review...........The problem I am having is accessing the information on my external hard drive. I m having trouble opening the external hard drive.

I have two computers. Both HP's. Both run Windows 7, 64 bit. The one at home is a 2011 model with 12 GB memory and a 2TB hard drive. The one here in AZ is a 2012 model, with 6GB memory and a 750GB hard drive. My external hard drive is a Toshiba Canvio 3.0 Plus, set up for USB. Both computers are desk top models.

MEZLAW provided a link to Microsoft tech support for the problem I am having. I accessed this information and I have learned something that is getting me closer.

I have since accessed the information on the hard drive. The procedure I used is this:
Open My Computer. Right click on external hard drive to open. This brings up 9 backup files. (This is the first problem. I evidently set my EHD up as a BACKUP, not just read only like I had intended.) I right clicked OWNER/HP to open. This brought up backup files numbered 1-69. I could choose a file from this, right click to open and the sequence when like this: File C: right click to open. I got OWNER. Right click to open. I got USER. Right click to open. I got MUSIC. Right click to open. I got the different music files I was trying to open, but just a few. Right click the music file to open and I get an error message----"Compressed File Error: Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination path is too long. Rename the compressed (zipped) Folder and try again". Dandy.

Soooooo. My guess is that I need to eliminate a bunch of these "paths" in order to access my music. I need to eliminate "File C", "Owner", "User" at least in order to get this to work.

I am making progress. I just LOVE technology. And old age. Now is where I could use some guidance. I am proud of myself that I got this far. I think that I am on the right track. Just a little tweak...........

Desperately hopeful,

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Cannot access information on external hard drive Empty Re: Cannot access information on external hard drive

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:47 pm

I forgot to mention that I plugged my EHD into a different USB port than where it was. That was an earlier suggestion. This allowed me to get as far as I did. Thanks to all.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Cannot access information on external hard drive Empty Re: Cannot access information on external hard drive

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am

I got to finally open the external hard drive. I had set the hard drive up to backup my computer, not what I had intended at all. Either I had received some poor advice (Possible), or I misunderstood said advice (more likely). What I had to do was to cheat and do a workaround on the backup. I clicked "explore" instead of "open" and the files would open. I renamed the folders (about 40 that actually contained music files) and that took care of my immediate problem. Now I have to figure out how to import the music files to Windows Media Player and I will be all set. The quest continues.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 pm

I have music conversion software on my computer. When I put the music files on my external hard drive, that software encrypted the files. I had to do a workaround for that music conversion software. It is rather cumbersome and is totally unsatisfactory. I am going to have to install the music conversion software on this computer to allow easier access to my music files.

Perhaps this will help someone else who encounters this problem.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for the follow-up, it's always good to know what the solution was! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:07 am

And thanks to you, MEZLAW for your assistance and suggestions. It was those suggestions that got me onto the right track with this. After installing my music conversion software, I haven't had time to find out if this is really the fix. Everything about this computer is the same as the one at home. I am cautiously optimistic, and will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down