November Finds

Go down

November Finds Empty November Finds

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:37 pm

I found a late sixties RCA transistor am-fm 2 band shortwave portable on ebay that looks a bit nasty. But I placed a minimum bid and won it. There is nothing much special about it, except when I was a kid, my dad had one like it and it was the first shortwave radio I listened to with any regularity and piqued my interest in radio. After I get some cleaning done on it, I will post a pic.

Back to top Go down

November Finds Empty Re: November Finds

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:40 pm

There is nothing much special about it, except when I was a kid, my dad had one like it

I think this is where the value is for most of us. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Arrow I aint found nutin' really for me , however enough older stuff has come through my shop to make do . Seeburg jukebox , packman - ladybug - frogger arcade games , 3 or 4 old radios , 3 phonos and a reel to reel along with the daily modern stuffs .

In the loss department however and a funny story . I had 4 older plastic tube radios in my shop for sale . They were in there for some 3 years without sale . I took all 4 of them down to the local youth ranch thrift shop and donated them .
About 2 weeks later a guy came into my shop with .... one of those radios i just donated , said he got it at the auction house Surprised And knew i liked old radios and gave it to me .
Ok .. so i didnt say much but thank you . The next saturday i took it back to the youth ranch and told her , lets do this again .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 pm

It's kind of funny, watching a rerun of a Hawaii Five-O from 1969, it was showing cuts of a radio broadcast being listened to in different locations, there was one of these radios, an RHM 49E shown at a hotel poolside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 pm

50 or so 78rpm records today ...free

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Lot around 75 teens and 1920's label 78's at the auction this morning for $13. Then another 100 or so 40's and 50's common stuff in less than average condition for $2 because noone else wanted them.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:37 pm

I picked up a Zenith G730 today at an antique show in Richmond Virginia. The case, grill and back are all in very good condition. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet or take a pic but it looks like this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhanlen1/sets/72157620592826263/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I think those look nicer that the "mini console" units that came along afterwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 pm

The antique dealer wanted $45 and I end up paying $30. The case is nice enough to leave in original condition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 pm

I have one of these and its a nice sounding and performing radio. You bought yours for a good price. I think you'll like it.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't have a picture yet but I just made a deal on a 12 volt and 13 amp power supply. I have a small 3 amp power supply that works good but does not have enough amps for tube radios. I wanted a more powerfull supply for my shop when I test out old car radios. A buddy of mine posted it for sale and I contacted him. He goes right by house and is going to drop it off after work on Monday. We have been friends since school and sometimes he has stuff to sell.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm

These finds were from my "Elmer" clearing out his stuff..... pale

November Finds Radiolot

Various bakelite and plastic projects. A few look like they might be diamonds in the rough with a little TLC.

November Finds Solder

Some REAL soldering guns from the past.
>

November Finds Pulls

Among the tubes... A LOT of 12AU7 tubes. Most appear to be GE made from the mid 50's that were pulls from TVs. Anyone have any fun project ideas that use 12AU7's ?? Rolling Eyes
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm

I picked up a 12 volt 13 amp power supply. I have had a really good 3 amp supply but nothing that would power a old automotive tube radio but this one should.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm

You wouldn't want to get rid of the 12AU7 tubes, would you?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 pm

I've been looking for my Weller soldering gun for several weeks. I haven't used it in years and can't seem to remember where I put it. Do you want to sell one of the ones you have there, or both?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Bill and Mezlaw--sent you guys PM's.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:29 pm

I finally got the radio I started this thread with. It had a pretty bad case of ruptured rayovacs, although the damage was mostly limited to the inside of the lower cast frame that makes up the chassis support. I dissassembled the unit and gave the frame a nice bath, along with the battery enclosure. I hope I saved the data label. Also washed the battery contacts. the springs were just frosted with the batteries' goodness. That has washed off nicely. I will have to build the other contact set as there is basically only the metal support with two 1/2" holes. I'll make a 3 piece stack with phenolic and secure them with either pop rivet or foreshortened nut and screw sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:43 pm

My last find this month was a Dayton axial 665cfm 10" fan. They are great for lawn work, when burning leaves and other assorted debris. I set it a few feet away from the burn area so as not to blow any burning material up, and it gets the stuff burning like a lucky strike in an oxygen tent. They are also handy for car work on hot days. I tie wrap the fan into the bottom of a milk crate and that makes an ideal housing. $39 beats the cost of one of the squirrel cage jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Those are the good Wellers. They'll outlast any bought today.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down