Basal cell carcinoma on my nose

Go down

Basal cell carcinoma on my nose Empty Basal cell carcinoma on my nose

Post by ChrisH664 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 am

A year back I noticed what I thought was a wart becoming present on the left side of my nose. I didn't think too much of it. It kept getting bigger though and I figured earlier this month I had better check it out. My family doctor was convinced it was basel cell carcinoma so then he recommended me to a plastic surgeon who confirmed his suspicions. Here is the definition if needed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal-cell_carcinoma

So today was my surgery for removal. All went well I believe except for the tremendous headache I had from following the fasting instructions ie...lack of food and caffeine. Fortunately the plastic surgeon was able to just pull over some skin and stitch the wound closed. Other option, if needed, would be to graf skin from behind my ear. I requested a "Tony Curtis" nose while she was working away but that request was met with chuckles.

Worse thing that happened was when my wife was driving me home I started feeling nausious and made the sudden request "pull over I'm sick". That I was and only got a small amount on the car door. Unfortunately with the strain of upchucking blood from the wound started coming out. I had blood all over my face. It was after 5 so the surgery center was closed so we went to the ER. ER doc contacted the surgeon and was told the nausia was normal from the anesthesia and bleeding was normal too. Didn't look normal to me. So he cleaned me up and put a new dressing on the area.

I slept all evening so here I am at 11pm central time wide awake. No work for me Thursday and Friday so the 4 day weekend will be nice. Sucks I gotta use up 2 days vacation pay since my company has no sick days for route sales employees.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Basal cell carcinoma on my nose Empty Re: Basal cell carcinoma on my nose

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am

Chris,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I believe my aunt had a similar diagnosis only hers was much worse and there was concern she might loose most, if not nearly all of her nose. She's okay today, but the point being (at the risk of sounding like a public service announcement commercial) is if something doesn't seem right, get it checked out right away!

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 am

Yep...definitely Doc. Thanks for the reply and best wishes.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 pm

I had a place on the back of my leg, The Doc said however it was nothing to worry about. So yes when in doubt check it out.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Glad you got it checked out and you will be OK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm

That side effect of the anesthetic is the reason you fast. Hope that is your last spot and you will need no further sculpting.

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Chris, Same here on the "glad you got it before it got you" ... Can't be too careful these days ... Good health to you my friend Cool
atwater10
atwater10

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 am

Yuck! On the door?
Hey, ya already know-
I hope you're feeling better.
I love you
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Yep Terry. Just a little bit though. I gave the commuters on Hwy 50 something to get a glance at at 5pm though. affraid

That anesthesia is certainly a strange thing. I was just put under enough to know something was going on but I couldn't do a thing about it. I do remember trying to lift my hands and the nurses holding my hands down. They also played some music during surgery. Some crappy 80's music I think? I found that rather odd but maybe the plastic surgeon requests it.

Good plastic surgeon too. Graduated top 5% at Columbia and she has received several commendations from the profession.

Still no Tony Curtis nose. GRRRR!!
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 pm

I had a Basil Cell Carcinoma removed from my nose and plastic surgery to fill the hole. During the procedure a nurse used the wrong anti-septic and it got in my eye. I woke up screaming because the pain was so intense and I kept screaming for 4 hours until they could get an Ophthalmologist.
The people at the hospital, and my plastic surgeon, were scared to death about what I was going to do. I guess I'm stupid but I just can't take advantage of an honest mistake. I made them give me fifty bucks so I could take my friend who gave me a ride and had to wait that extra 4 hours out to dinner at a nice restaurant.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 pm

7 day follow up/post surgery appointment went well on Tuesday. No problems from what the surgeon could see. They took out the stitches. She used a small piece of skin off of my cheek and plastered it on my nose to fill the void from removal of the carcenoma. 1 1/2" cut on my cheek follows right in line with my "smile line". Clever eh? I still have swelling and was told to expect it for another month or so.

Thanks again guys for the support. Much appreciated.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Glad your doing good. A fellow that his daughter was in band with my daughter had something similar. He had surgery as well. I had to go to the DR for a checkup after that and asked about a spot I had. He said it was ok but we would need to watch a spot on my nose. I asked if it needed to be taken off. He said it didn't have to be but we could. He said we would have to watch it. I told him to go ahead and take it off so there would be no worring about it. I had a brain anurisum a few years ago that really made me think about what was important. It made me quit stressing so much and enjoy life more.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Glad to hear your Doctor visit went well. Hope you will be fully recover before the Christmas holidays!

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 am

believe it or not I had a blackhead on the very tip of my nose that I finally attack with gusto. Then it started to change into a growth that looked very much like a wart. I finally got tired of looking at it cross-eyed and had the doctor freeze it off. So now I sit here and look cross-eyed at a dimple instead. LOL
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 am

Ouch! That haddah hurt!
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:27 pm

My dad once pulled a hair out of his nose. It got infected and his nose swelled up like a light bulb. He had to go to the hospital.
So- Never pull out a nose hair.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down