Terydectyl

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Terydectyl - Page 2 Empty Re: Terydectyl

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 am

I wasn't saying anyone was fighting. Just preventative asking.
Thanks, guys.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4392
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Sorry, Bill. I did not intend to be fighting with anyone. I detected a note of frustration in Terry's post and have felt that frustration myself. I find that a part time job is helpful in making me feel "useful" after retirement and I also volunteer at a local cancer clinic and, hopefully, give cancer patients hope when they see me, a cancer survivor, still on the right side of the grass. If Terry could set up the project he was proposing, I thought that perhaps he could help me, a computer idiot, with my "easy, can't mess it up" external hard drive.
Cliff, I have an HP computer, running Windows 7 64-bit. My external hard drive is a Toshiba. I have my music, about 100gb, on the external hard drive. I can access the music on my computer at home in Missouri, but on our computer in AZ, I can't open the hard drive. Now would be a good time to have a grandkid handy.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm

You're right in that you were detecting frustration and not confrontation. Maybe a little, (okay a lot), of defensiveness too.

(This makes my point that speaking is sometimes better than writing text. If I had been talking my comments would have been easier to comprehend).

Bill- Thanks for your concern.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Believe me, I know frustrations. Two legs with arthritis, and, water on the knee in both, bad back, bad right hip, artrhritis almost everywhere else, asthma, bad eyes from birth, and, acid reflux.
Believe me, I know how it feels.
But, living is good, I try to do my best. I['ve been cleanning, throwing out junk, and, restored my RCA Victor R-98 victrola.
Getting ready to rebuld my Admiral 20X122 tv, etc.....
I enjoy resurecting my cylinder, and, disc phonographs.

I have a loving dog, still have my home, and, have friends.
Life is good, if difficult.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4392

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Always keep the plus column full, Bill.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Yep, a dog a home and friends mean a lot. When I had a 6 hour operation to remove half of my throat for cancer, and then radiation because they didn't get it all, I couldn't have survived without my nephew looking after me and my friends bringing food, giving me rides, and most important walking Rocky twice a day.

And Rocky has repeatedly got me up and going no matter how bad I felt, which of course always made me feel better.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:
Cliff, I have an HP computer, running Windows 7 64-bit. My external hard drive is a Toshiba. I have my music, about 100gb, on the external hard drive. I can access the music on my computer at home in Missouri, but on our computer in AZ, I can't open the hard drive. Now would be a good time to have a grandkid handy.

Regards

WC
Are both computers Windows 7?
Are both computers HP's?
If not then that may be a starting point. Previous Windows operating systems (but not all) were 32 bit. That is a different disk format.
I will do some research on this.
1. Please tell me what model your Toshiba external hard-drive is and is it USB? If it is an older USB then it may not recognize the newer USB. In that case you should update your USB Driver software. (most USBs are backward compatible but may not recognize a newer USB version.)
2. Please tell me what model your HP Computer is.
3. Please tell me what model your other computer brand and model is and it's operating system. Win XP/WinVista 32 or 64 bit/Win 7 or 8.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Meanwhile- back to the subject. I need to know if there is a Windows operating system that DOES support playing a music file and being able to talk over it at the same time. I got flagged on Paltalk because I insisted that it was impossible. I'd hate to be wrong, but I need to know.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Many external drives had 2 USB connectors with one being used for power. The 64 VS 32 bit format is a good point. Windows prior to XP did not automatically recognize any USB drive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Terry.......sorry to hijack your thread.

1. Both computers are HP's.
2. Both computers run Windows 7, 64 bit.
3. External hard drive is a Toshiba Canvio 3.0 Plus
4. EHD is for USB
5. Computer at home is 2011 model with 3.0 USB, 12Gb Memory, 2TB hard drive.
6. AZ computer is two months old and has 2.0 USB, 6Gb Memory, 750GB hard drive. It has 4 USB ports on the rear of the cabinet and two on the front. Everything else works fine. Just can't open my EHD. There is lots of available hard drive space if that matters.

Thanks for the advice and to Terry for his patience.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:18 pm

I know Cliff is helping you but you may want to try this link;

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for the link. I will try some of that to see if it helps. Out of respect for Terry's thread, I will start a different thread on this subject and go from there.

Regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Hey- no problemo.
Like I haven't hijacked a few threads in my time?
Besides, the original thread was lost a few posts ago anyway.

Still- I'd like to know if I was right or I was wrong about the sound thing, although I guess it doesn't make much difference now does it?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 am

The 19 year old pimple faced little twit at the computer store said that it was impossible to mess up using an external hard drive. Most basic thing in the world. Millions of people use them every day. It may be impossible to mess up an EHD when you are 20, but is a lot MORE possible when you are 60. This is the same little twit who did not know the difference between stereo and mono. He calls a Victrola a crank stereo. The generation gap is alive and well. Good luck with you project, Terry. You will figure it out. I will figure out my hard drive. We will share our victories. Life goes on. That is the beauty of this forum.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 am

You should have asked whoever planted a flag on you how to do it, since they obviously differ with you on the question. Ask, Google and Bing can be very useful in the search for info on such subjects. Just enter the question in the blank. They don't even mock you on suspicion of silliness. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 am

19&41 wrote:You should have asked whoever planted a flag on you how to do it, since they obviously differ with you on the question. Ask, Google and Bing can be very useful in the search for info on such subjects. Just enter the question in the blank. They don't even mock you on suspicion of silliness. Wink

Good idea. I found this, which is the actual Paltalk response.

try going to Start>Control Panel>Sounds,Speech, and other Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Devices>click on Voice tab>go to Voice Recording,Default Device and change it to your current device.

Won't work. Why? First of all it's a laptop and there ain't no other "devices".
Plus-
"go to Voice Recording"

Recording is NOT the same as talking and playing music live at the same time.
Sheesh!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 am

Getting back to a comment that raised a question. You cannot record and playback on a sound card at the same time. If you could then you would get feedback. However you may use an external mixer sound board and play your music into the sound board and feed that into your computers sound card via the microphone input. But you can still only use your sound card doing one operation at a time.

There is another way to go also so you can record what your playing at the same time, Microsoft has a record function that you can use to record very short recordings but its very limited. If you have a software program such as Audacity then you can record music or sound while playing streaming music on your computer. And its free.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Right. I kept telling them to use a cheap external mixer from Radio Shack. Heck, it could be a passive mixer with a high impedance mic. Even streaming radio needs a mixer. And once again, using that Windows recorder you can't turn on your mic AND mix a music file, AND it would still be a recording and not live. Isn't Audacity a program that also needs an external music and microphone? Plus what they are trying to do is more like Windows Messenger than streaming.
Yesterday I tried every way I could on my laptop and it is impossible.

Like I said, being smart among a bunch idiots got me in trouble, again.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum