its alive!

Go down

its alive!

Post by radioalfa on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 am

After finishing the restoration on my Radiola 60's power supply (well almost, still need to replace the cord and plug), I wanted to try the receiver before taking it apart for its restoration.
I went through all of the checks for the receiver in the service manual, and found everything to be OK. I plugged it in, and turned it on, it was great to hear it working! I hope that it survives my restoration:)

radioalfa

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: its alive!

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I have one of those that I refinished the outside , but have never attempted to get running. Mine is still in pieces, How much did you have to do to get running? You did replace the CAPS? right?
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by radioalfa on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 am

I pulled the power supply apart, and replaced all of the caps, and one resistor that was bad. For the receiver, I did not have to do too much. I replaced some tubes that checked out as bad, and otherwise just checked components.
radioalfa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am

My Dad has the same radio and he restored it when I was very young. It'd been in my parents living room every since but hasn't been turned on for several years. The radio my Dad has belonged to the actor, Authur Kennedy but there is no documentation to back it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:12 am

Did you do any cosmetics on that set? It looks great Very Happy
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am

Dang, there is nothing more lovely than the first sound that you get out of a radio your restoring. I believe in astronomy when first firing up a telescope, it is called first light. Much like the Hubbel telescope, some times it is not perfect and requires and little subtle adjustment. Look at it this way, we don't have to go to outer space to do the final adjustments. Glad you have the "first sound".
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by radioalfa on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:Did you do any cosmetics on that set? It looks great Very Happy
Thanks!, the power supply has been painted, but in that photo the receiver only had a mild cleaning. Since then I have done some more serious cleaning on the receiver, and a little touch up paint. It is starting to look pretty good, and I am happy that I will not need to remove the tuning caps and bathtub for a complete respray, because I this is my first resto, and I want to avoid screwing things up:)

The cabinet is in progress too, the speaker only needs a little more cleaning.

Russ
radioalfa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down