things like this bother me

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

things like this bother me Empty things like this bother me

Post by radioalfa on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:27 am

Here is an ebayer that got a hold of a Radiola 60.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140879143282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have been following their auctions, the took the receiver out of the cabinet and sold that. The power supply and cabinet are are still listed separately.
Instead of taking the time to unscrew the wires that connect the power supply, they cut them.
Between the starting price and shipping cost they are asking a lot! I would love to have the metal cover that covers the terminals, but not for 80 bucks.
radioalfa
radioalfa

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-10-28

Back to top Go down

things like this bother me Empty Re: things like this bother me

Post by willy3486 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:20 pm

In a word, greed. I see stuff like this all the time. I try to buy stuff locally but they want more for them than if I restored something and then sold it. I tried to buy some tubes once from a fellow. He wanted a buck a piece and they were common TV tubes. It had been picked clean. I tried to get him to price them all and he wouldn't. One guy has posted some test equipment for sale for a grand. I called about it and he refuses to tell me in a email or phone whats there. He won't even give me a list or send a picture. Its not worth me to even take a chance to go look, 90 minutes away and I am too busy.

I placed a call today to find out about some tubes and stuff from a TV shop. He has them posted locally. He may actually have some other parts which is why I actually called about. As far as your post what a lot are doing these days is to take the amp out of a old record player and then use it to be a tube out for a stereo. Its not that easy. You have to do some changing and modifing of parts. Anymore I won't touch them. I did one and you would need to completely redesign it. I would just find a tube amp and rebuild it if it was me. I have learned the best place for me to get stuff is at radio meets.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm

I once saw a radio listed that the radio collector's guide valued at $700 in museum condition, which this wasn't, for $10,000. I've found that it's no use contacting these people. I constantly see cheap Japanese microphones that look like an RCA 77DX listed for $1,000. They are worth about $70.

On Craigslist here in Louisville there is an old tube wireless intercom. It's in lousy shape and of course needs the remote station to test it, much less use it.
It is listed for $150.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/atq/3328448569.html
I contacted her and tried to tell her it MIGHT be worth $25.

Why don't these people look at other listings in The same category?
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Correction- It's not wireless. Embarassed
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't sell much myself but I do try to find out the value first. I add some to it because everyone tries to knock you down. One time I saw an old building that was in bad shape. It was a wooden building and had been a old store building. I asked the people about it to tear down for the wood and they said they were about to tear it down themselves for the wood. It stood there for a few more years until they had to hire someone to get it down as it was about to fall in the road.

The best one I ever tried to get was a old camper. I was wanting a scotty camper to restore. I found one 8 miles from my house. The wood was rotted, the owner said he was going to redo it for a portable office. The aluminum skin had a lot of tears, most of the glass was broke,it was basically junk. I stopped by and the old lady said it was her sons.She said she would love for him to get rid of the eyesore as she called it. I contacted him and he wanted 800. IT wasn't worth anywhere near that, maybe 100 at most. I offered him 200 to 300 and he wasn't going to sell, he said he had decided to use it as a lawnmower trailer since it was in the shape it was. I said for 300 he could buy one he wouldn't have to fix. He wouldn't settle for less. Thats been years ago and it is still there.

Another time I tried to buy a popup, about 20 years ago. The guy wouldn't sale and finally the wind broke a limb on top of it. It was worthless after that. I have never understood people like that. Another thing I have noticed is the more they act like you are trying to rip you off the more they ask and in reality try to rip you off. That why most of what I find is at radio meets, The sellers and I both know the actual value.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

I've learned one thing about Craigslist- Price it to sell.
a)It's obviously something you have that you don't want or why is it for sale in the first place-
b)Do you want it to sit around and not sell because you want $100 for a $25 item?
c) The buyer is looking for a deal. They are not going to pay $25 for a DVD player they can buy new for $20.

Case in point- I had a nice home theater receiver that I no longer used. I had listed it before for $50 and it didn't sell. I looked at other listings and they weren't selling either. So I priced it at $35, wrote some really cute copy, and listed it.
It sold in an hour. The buyer traveled from Frankfort, (Ky. not Germany), a distance of about 75 miles.

Now THAT'S how you sell stuff.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Sometimes people tears things apart because they believe the individual parts will bring more than the item when sold whole. With some things this is true, such as magazines. I see antiquers cutting up magazines all the time and selling the magazine ads individually. They are always at the auto shows selling cars ads where each ad will get them as much as the whole magazine. Maybe they are trying to apply that pricipal to the radio they are tearing apart.
As far as too high a price, this happens all the time when someone hears an item has value. If they have the item they want the highest price that they heard about. I can't tell you how many "parts car" Edsels I found and had to walk away from because the owner wanted as much as a restored Edsel. You can't reason with these people you can only walk away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 am

I think the only things that should be "parted out" are the ones that as a whole, are beyond help. Some may argue even the most ragged, destroyed things can be "brought" back if you are willing to spend enough time and money on them--I've seen some amazing rusted out hulk cars brought back from the dead and some destroyed wooden radios (thanks to eBay idiot shippers) brought to showroom quality....BUT I think as a general rule, don't part out something good as it is, yes this spells greed to me. Now on the flip side, if something isn't worth the time and $ to most people to bring back from the dead, what's wrong with parting it out? Nothing. Case and point, a guy I know ran a successful body shop for 20+ years, he purchased a rusted out shell of a first generation Ford Mustang. Due to the demand and popularity of these cars, he spent a a few hundred bucks and made several thousands by parting out (what ever could be salvaged, down to the smallest bracket) to fellow enthusiasts.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 pm

I once parted out a Brunswick. The cabinet was in really bad shape but a friend could use the wood, the power supply was WAY too heavy to ship and I'd used the tubes in other projects. I sold the chassis on eBay for more than I had paid for the radio. I posted this on another radio site and you'd have thought I'd committed murder.
But on the other hand I took a trashed RCA and resurrected it. I guess it just depends on the situation.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by harold wright on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:16 pm

If this off topic, I apologize. I was bothered a bit last night while watching "Amer. Pickers". Their secretary? was on this road trip and was holding a Philco cathedral radio and showed that the back was off it and that lowers its value. Wonder where she "went to school".

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Does she LOOK like she went to school? Smile
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm

I got ticked off a little in the last two days. From what I see in my area TVs and TV tube stuff is for the most part not wanted in my area. There is just no call for it. With that said I checked with a guy who had a shop that he closed years ago yesterday after work. He had a add that he was wanting to sell his stuff. It said to contact him and he would sale any of the tubes. I like to buy whole lots of junk and then sort it for a few good ones I can use.

I go to the fellows house that was out of quite a few miles out of my way to go home. I was lead to believe he wanted to sell the stuff. I go over to his house and he had about 4 tube caddys of tubes, They were TV tubes that looked to be picked over and some modules. He had some old test equipment, much of it looked like it had been in a damp place. A scope he said he didn't know if it still worked. Maybe 10 pieces of test boxes, it all looked like it had parts missing or had been in dampness. We get to talking and I asked what he wanted for a couple of boxes. Looking at the boxes most of the numbers looked like battery powered radio tubes. He then said he wanted to sell them all in one lump of stuff.

He tells me all this stuff like his stepson sold two tubes for 65 and other stuff. He finally said he could let it go for 200 or 300. I said so would you take 200 cash right now? For my area 200 would be top dollar at the meets and other places I have seen. He said oh no I would need 400 and it would all have to go. What the ? He just quoted me 200 and then doubled it to 400 in the next breath. That should have tought me a lesson.

He tells me he ha a shop full of parts he would let me have ,old junk chassis of TVs. I told him I would like to look through his shop and I was willing to pay if we could work out a price. I told him I was looking for a TV shop sign. He said he had one but he wasn't going to do anything with it. He also said someone asked about it. He said he had one that was down. Anyway he tells me all this stuff he has there and that he would be there today. I call after I get out of my Dr.s appointment and he tells me he just left there and for me to come next week.

I didn't mean to rant so long but I just needed to let off steam. This guy has a add on the web to sell individual tubes and I call about it. He had sold a lot of the good stuff to another TV guy about a year or so and now he is getting rid of the rest. He tells me he will take 200 or 300 then when I am interested he goes up to 400. Then when I can get there today he puts me off. I don't have the patience or time to put up with this. I hate dealing with people like this. So I have decided to not deal with him , he can contact me if he wants to. The one thing I really want is a TV shop sign, it doesn't matter if its just the plastic. I bet he would raise up the price on that. The shame of it I was willing to buy a bunch and I have the cash. I also know of a guy I could put him in contact with that would clean out the building for him. He sold the building and now has to clean it. Its a shame because I bet most of that will go to the dump.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Its a shame because I bet most of that will go to the dump

Yhat's exactly what will happen, I've seen it 100 times.

He looses and you loose, but he doesn't care, you can't win. Sit down, make yourself a good stiff drink and relax! Very Happy The hell with him!

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:57 pm

MEZLAW wrote:Its a shame because I bet most of that will go to the dump

Yhat's exactly what will happen, I've seen it 100 times.

He looses and you loose, but he doesn't care, you can't win. Sit down, make yourself a good stiff drink and relax! Very Happy The hell with him!

I new I liked you when you joined the group, I like the way you think. Closest thing to a stiff drink is either a sundrop cola or hot chocolate for me. Its guys like him that I am setting up my shop the way I am. I was guided by some of these TV shop guys into working on stuff and I want to keep their legacy going, My shop is sort of a tribute to them. What I would like to find is a sign similar to the link below. I would like to just find the plastic like this, I can fabricate a box for it. I would take the plastic even if the sides are broke but the advertising is intact. Oh well. I fell like Indiana Jones sometimes looking for the lost sign. Here is a link to what I would love to find if anyone is interested, any brand would be ok. The sad part is a parts store I use to buy parts from had one they threw away.
TV shop sign

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 pm

I will keep my eyes open for you. I have a friend in Richmond who collects old signs and I'm sure he won't be interested in keeping a TV shop sign for himself.

Closest thing to a stiff drink is either a sundrop cola or hot chocolate for me.

Well that will keep you out of trouble! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Maybe that guy's meds were hidden in one of those tube caddys.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Maybe you could get some insights in dealing with such people from watching the hoarder programs on A&E. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:09 pm

As far as that guy I think he saw I was interested and then tried to get every nickel he could. What he will wind up probably doing is sell a few of the tubes,make less than I was willing to pay, and wind up having ot figure out what to do with the rest. I am not going to contact him anymore.

As far as the sign goes Mezlaw thanks for keeping me in mind. My problem I have is I do this as a hobby so funds are not as much as a person who is better off than I am. I have seen signs for hundreds and thousands on ebay. But they don't usually sell at that price. I mainly want just one to show in my shop.

As far as drinking I don't really. One time I had Kidney stones and wound up in the ER. The DR. told me I could get a 6 pack of beer, drink as many as I could and hold as long as I could. He said it would flush my kidneys and flush the stone out. I was about 36 and had never had a beer. I got to hurting and did it. The first was nasty. The second was still nasty but the pain was different. The 3rd and fourth caused the pain to go away. The last two turned me into a musical genus. I was feeling pretty good. It worked the stone out of the kidney but got stuck. I had to have laser surgery. As far as the hard stuff I have in the past got some whiskey when I had a cold. I would drink some then go to bed. I had a few relatives on my moms side who became alcoholics so I never drank because I was afraid I could be the same way.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Beer is food. Cool

I can't drink anymore either because of my psych meds.
The last time I smoked some pot it made me sick.
And I haven't got high on my pain pills in years.

(I kind of miss it too.) No

terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 am

Pretty much the same can be applied to record buying and selling. I focus primarily on 78's but will get lps and 45's if a good lot pops up. Last lady I dealt with had looked up a few of her lps on Ebay. UH OH!! "This Julie London lp goes for $7.50". I said "yeah that's what it's listed for...what are they SELLING for". "Oh...how do you check that?". SO I offered $20 for around 70 lps and she took it....sans Julie London. Run of the mill stuff from the 60's..no rock and a few soul lps.

So she kinda rants that I will just sell each one on Ebay for $7. I said "no more like $5 each and out of 70 maybe 25 will sell". "Plus I take the time to clean, grade, shoot photos, list, pack and ship etc".

Here is her add on CL for the 3 boxes I left: http://wichita.craigslist.org/for/3394821189.html

78's can be entertaining too. Just because they are old does not make a record valuable.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:22 am

terrydec wrote:Beer is food. Cool

I can't drink anymore either because of my psych meds.
The last time I smoked some pot it made me sick.
And I haven't got high on my pain pills in years.

(I kind of miss it too.) No

Intervention show on A&E is interesting also. Some of the amounts of stuff these people take should have killed them long ago. Last guy I watched was a big dude of 300lbs+ taking narco pain meds 15 at a time then chasing them with a hit of crack. affraid Hand it to him he got sober though.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:53 am

Chris, we have antique shops everywhere in Virginia and LP records usually sell between 1 and 3 dollars!

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 am

Hey Terry...at least she/he could have put the lit cigarette down for the picture. Classy!!
http://louisville.craigslist.org/atq/3328448569.html
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 am

Oh I see that parted out stuff alot,like the tube amps from record players.Once on EBay I seen a simple AC-DC 50C5,35W4,12AV6 phono amp nothing fancy and the seller was asking $150 for it on buy it now only!,as well as Hammond organ tube amps stating that it would make a great gutar amp.Maybe so but they don't relize you would need some sort of tone and volume control circuts and the volume control on an electric/electronic organ is controlled by the expression pedel.I wonder what kind of shape the equptment was in before the amps were yanked out.
Microphones from 50-60's era reel to reel tape recorders and the guts from those recorders show up as well for big $$$ I seen that remark that Danelle on American Pickers made about the back missing on the Philco catherdal.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 am

I went to this place local yesterday after that guy ticked me off. It is a used store similar to the old "junk" stores or like Sanford and son. Any way I looked around and there was a stack of 78s there. I asked about them and they said 5 bucks each. I looked at them and they were chipped,scratched really bad and they were not really those names you look for. Way over priced just because they were old. I might have gave 20 bucks for all but no way that price.

I looked around and found a nice Rigid pipe wrench for ten bucks that was bigger than what I had. It was in great shape except for being rusty. I also found a aluminum drill from maybe the 40s that had a D shaped handle in the back and a place for side holder. It had a bad cord but I would have replaced that. He said 3 bucks. I would have went to ten. Thats the way it goes so you never know what is out there. I did leave my name in case he finds a sign. He had a few, a neon budwiser sign that needed work for 65 and a rusted up double cola sign for 100.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum