New tablet -VS- laptop

Go down

New tablet -VS- laptop Empty New tablet -VS- laptop

Post by Ken g on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm

I am seeing commercials showing big tablet devices . I have an old laptop . Maybe this stuff is to new to discuss ? I dont use any drives or disks in my computer lap top .
I see keyboards on these new tablets . I wonder if they are as good as a 50 year old laptop Surprised . It seems like one would be nice ..long as it has a headphone jack .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

New tablet -VS- laptop Empty Re: New tablet -VS- laptop

Post by repairtech on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:56 pm

Those snotty little devices are for morons.
The glass touch-screens have a secret coating on them that eventually gets into your bloodstream, and makes you a tapping little moron.

Your whole life will turn into a vapid disaster of touching things to activate them.
You'll become as plastic as that figure of Jesus stuck on your car dashboard.

Even the rubber-coated pushbuttons on conventional TV remotes will start to annoy you - because they're more work and involvement to push. - and there's no icons either...

You'll die.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 am

I work on computers for a living so I see all kinds of them. Personally for me if a computer is doing what I want , I don't buy new. I use a 12 year old computer in my shop with a 15 year old scanner and 20 year old printer. I am using one of the first models of macbook to write this. Its about 7 years old I guess.

As far as tablets goes get some sort of case for it. The ones that "look " good are just for that "looks" in my opinion. The best cases I have seen are the ones that have something like a thick layer of rubber on each corner. The ipads I see come in with broke screens have been hit on the corner. As far as typing it to me seems to be tricky or a pain to do. But they are nice.

My wife has the one that amazon sells. She likes it. If I got one I think I would go with the one my wife has due to it being cheaper. I think it can do a lot of the stuff I pads can.

For me I see computers as a device to use as long as I can. To me they are way to costly to have such a short life. I will still use this laptop as long as I can. If I went with a tablet like device I would probably go with the Amazon, Kindle I think its called.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 am

I also work on PC's and still support many MS-DOS applications. I have desk tops that I assemble myself, notebooks, and netbooks for my business, and a Kindle Fire my daughter and son-in-law gave to me for Christmas. I have a real hard time tapping the right thing on the Kindle because of my big mitts!

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 am

I prefer to sit in front of a desktop system.
When I'm done doing what I need to, I shut the damn thing off and walk away - to live, something humans should do more of.

I'm not inclined to tote a laptop/portable around with me.
My Dell Lattitude D600 sits..... getting dusty, and battery gets low.

Sitting on the toilet is a Private Moment, please...
I don't need a screen in my face.
That's a sickness, and addiction.

repairtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 am

I'm not inclined to tote a laptop/portable around with me.

I wish I didn't but I use them to program phone systems. This is the main reason I got a netbook, I can tuck it away in my tool bag.

Much of the younger generation is getting on the internet with "smart phones".

Smart phones make for dumb people!

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:31 am

MEZLAW wrote:
Smart phones make for dumb people!

Ya got THAT right! affraid

repairtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 am

I think repairtech needs to be banned from the internet . He is not any help at all .

Other than that , thanks for all other input . I only use this computer in my house sitting here to view the internet , nothing else . I am only on it for a short while . I do enjoy watching youtube at times but not a whole lot .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Do the tablet devices operate on a cellular account?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm

They operate on a cellular data plan or on a WIFI signal. If you have a WIFI signal present you don't use up your data plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 pm

I guess a tablet wouldn't do for me then. I currently use a laptop and a Clear usb device. That runs about $17/mo. with my additional home plan. My cell use is so limited I use prepaid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum