Science Fair Kits

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Science Fair Kits

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 pm

I've seen these for sale on E-bay and found the ones I purchased years ago for my daughters when they were young;

Back to top Go down

Re: Science Fair Kits

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:01 pm

I would love to have ones like that, now that I have test equipment to enjoy and use.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 pm

I love these kits. I had a chance a couple of years ago to grab these at a local ham flea market from one guy for $20. I wasn't long grabbing them at that price. Very Happy

I would love to find more of the single type kits like yours though.
ve1arn

Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm

I'd like to have a complete un built NRI radio kit like the one I had in the mid 60's, but, too pricey for me.
I'll trade someone for a complete unbuilt one......
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 pm

This place carries a few electronic kits, as well as numerous useful odds and ends...

http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:30 pm

I had one of the RS kits when I was a kid. I don't remember which one. Its what got me hooked on building stuff on my own. I graduated to building stuff in electronic magazines of the 70s.

On a side note to science fairs if a national science fair is in your area by all means go. I have been to two of them, Atlanta and the one in New Mexico a few years back. My daughter got involved with them in the 9th grade and won the grand,1st or 2nd prize every year from then on. She wound up getting all of her first and part of her second year of college paid for from the awards. She met a lot of people there. She said she was there one day and this guy was facinated with her project. She said she wanted to work for NASA. He told her he had worked there.

He said my name is Homer and that sounds more like a philospher than a rocket scientist. They continued talking and she found out he was Homer Heckam who the movie October Sky was made about. Another guy she met was Michio Kaku who is on discovery a lot. If you have kids its a good way to pay for college.

I have a picture of one of her projects she did when she was at Atlanta. This project was using a tesla coil to transmit data and energy to a receiver. Her last project in the 12th grade was a robot that would go up a ships side underwater. What she said it could do is to inspect for problems, do Xrays on the hull or any other things you might need to do. She would take the robot and let it roll up the side of the refrigerator. The thing would go up something without strings or anything holding on to it. It really helped her in college. One of the women there looked her up when she first went and got her a job there. She also got her a scholarship beginning next year to pay for her schooling until she gets a Masters in Education and a Masters in Engineering.

Sorry to get off topic but these kits helped me to get into the field and in turn allowed me to help my daughter on her way. We have gotten away from skills in this country and I think skills will be needed in the future. The Anyway here is a link to her picture.

Tiffany at Atlanta

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:04 pm

Here is a site a fellow has scanned one of the 70s RS kits

100-1 kit

If you haven't seen it you can go to this page to see scans of the RS catalogs they put out. I think I had the solar kit on page 93 of the 1976 catalog.

RS catalogs

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 am

It was one of these very kits, that helped grow my interest in electronics.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisc on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:35 pm

I remember with great affection the Philips EE20 kit I had when I was a 9 year old kid back in England. Used it over and over until it fell to pieces. I had the deluxe kit which allowed you to make the 3 transistor radio !

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_ee_20_ee20.html

chrisc

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 pm

My daughter found a kit in a thrift store and bought it for her son. The kid loved it...there is hope!
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Expose them to all the good things. You never can tell what they will take a liking to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top