Tet equipment for a new guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tet equipment for a new guy

Post by radioalfa on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:37 pm

I bet this has been asked many times......but my search did not turn up too much. (probably operator error)
I am currently restoring a Radiola 60. I have finished the power supply, and have begun to work on the receiver.

I currently own the following test equipment
2 DMM's (one has a capacitor checking function, but I have not tried it yet)
1 Analog multi meter (triplett 630)
1 Tube tester (superior TV-10)

What is the next most logical choice for a piece of test equipment, considering my current project?

Thanks,
Russ
radioalfa

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Tet equipment for a new guy

Post by mr_ed01 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Possibly a RF Signal Generator.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Leigh on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:04 pm

You definitely need a signal generator. It's required for any kind of alignment, unless you want to use off-the-air signals, and that's a royal pain.

There are lots of different ones out there at various prices. If you can afford it get a modern synthesized generator. You can be sure your frequencies are accurate if you use one of those.

The most important characteristic of a sig gen is stability. You want it to stay where you set it, not drift all over the county. Tube-type equipment needs to warm up for about an hour before you actually use it, to settle down.

- Leigh

Leigh

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 pm

Another few items to add is a signal tracer. I have plans for one that can be easily be made in a few minutes out of a old transistor radio. I would use one that used a nine volt battery only and add a 9 volt adapter. Anyway if you want a scan pm me with your email and I will send it. I hope to get it posted online but I haven't had a chance yet.
The other item is some type of isolation transformer and a variable type of power supply. I use one of the sencore units that has a isolation transformer and variac built in. The three tools I use the most is the signal generator,tracer and isolated transformer. I fix most of the tube radio I repair with these main tools.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by radioalfa on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone, I was thinking on the lines of a signal generator myself. I did forget to mention that I use the "dim bulb" tester method of powering up. While I have considered a variac, I felt that dim bulb will get me by, at least for now.
Given the vintage of radio I am working on, does anyone have a recommendation for specific models. Leigh mentioned a modern synthesized one, I will look into that, but it sounds pricey and I would like to keep the price below 75 if possible.
Willy3486, thanks for your offer of scan, but to be honest at the noob status, I am not sure what to do with one:)

Russ
radioalfa

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 pm

Willy I would like to have a copy of the signal generator plans.

Thanks! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by samd on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Ditto on the SG plans/schematic! Thanks, Sam

samd

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 pm

radioalfa wrote:Thanks everyone, I was thinking on the lines of a signal generator myself. I did forget to mention that I use the "dim bulb" tester method of powering up. While I have considered a variac, I felt that dim bulb will get me by, at least for now.
Given the vintage of radio I am working on, does anyone have a recommendation for specific models. Leigh mentioned a modern synthesized one, I will look into that, but it sounds pricey and I would like to keep the price below 75 if possible.
Willy3486, thanks for your offer of scan, but to be honest at the noob status, I am not sure what to do with one:)

Russ

I would look around at what Ebay has to offer in the way of generators. That can get you on board with what the prices are on different types.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 am

Sorry about the delay.You can get the plans at

Page 1

Page 2

I used a old 9 volt radio then made a power supply for it. I wouldn't use one that doesn't have some type of transformer to isolate the voltage.

I made many a buck using this piece. It was my first tracer and it is still my main tool.

If you have trouble with this then pm me with your email and I will send it to you directly.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top