NEW GUY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEW GUY

Post by smccaskill on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Stuart McCaskill from Gladstone, Missouri 64119 - Deleted - smccaskillatkc.rr.com. I am a self taught restorer of Victorian reed organs (30 years), organettes, juke boxes and juke amplifiers from 1935 - 1949 and tube radios from 1936 - 1952(5 years). I only keep things I restore that I like looking at and can actually play and use daily. I've restored about 50 radios of all different brands and sizes from little Bakelites to radio/phono combos. In my limited experience I have found that I like restoring Philco products with the exception of early FM. I like Grunow products and REALLY like the Telefunken and other German radios from the period 1959 - 1962. The sound quality on the restored German radios is so excellent that its staggering.

Zenith radios for all their superiority have been HIGHLY problematic for me to restore. The wiring is usually falling apart and they just don't come together as well as other brands do. Maybe they got used more and more parts are found failing on them than with other brands, I don't know. Every one of them I have worked on has been a monumental pain in the butt. The little cardboard box tone button systems are always shot and miserable to restore. Maybe I am just unlucky with Zenith. It would sure be nice to have one that came together well and worked perfectly the first time through. I can always dream......

Current project is a screwed up Zenith 12-S-370 for a friend, his really nifty and rare Coronado/Interocean Zenith and aFairbanks-Morse 9A with a bad speaker. Trying to find the specs on that speaker somewhere. Not as many were made I guess. Its a nice radio. Thanks for your help and if I can help anyone with my paltry knowledge I surely will. Best Regards, Stuart

Last edited by Resistance is Futile on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed PH #)

smccaskill

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: NEW GUY

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Welcome to the Tube Radio Forum Stuart! I think you'll find a great bunch of guys here, I did. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Welcome Stuart. This forum has a great group with plenty of knowledge to go around.....except me, I'm still trying to learn how to turn one on.
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Welcome to the forums, Stuart. I have a Fairbanks Morse early 8A. I haven't finnished it, yet, but, it's a good set.
I know I'll like it when finnished.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Welcome Stuart!
Tony V

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:56 pm

Happy you're here Stuart Cool
atwater10

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:08 am

Changed the format of your Email from @ to at and of course a warm welcome!
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Welcome to the site. I restored a few jukeboxes myself.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:49 pm

I am editing your Phone # out for Privacy reasons.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Welcome and it looks like you have a lot to offer. Of course, there are a lot of helpful people here with a lot of knowledge.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum