What is this thing?

Go down

What is this thing?  Empty What is this thing?

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Here is a thing that got my curiosity up. At a site I go to dealing with garages and tools someone posted these pictures wondering what it is. It was jokingly posted that it was a spy setup. I am thinking it may not be that far off. I looked at it and my theory is it is a "spy" HQ set up for a grandkid at grandpas house to "spy" on the occupants. I am thinking from the items it was maybe made in the 60s due to the parts and it was when 007 and other spy movies where big. Grandpa worked at a electronics manufacturer if I remember correctly. In the second picture it looks like a homemade or a re-appropriated box. The clock looks like it from a 50s radio and the "radar" in the center looks like a dial needle from a radio. The round grid looks like it came from a scope. I am thinking the switches are probably wired so someone can switch from room to room. The grandpa was a ham user so I think he just made it for the grandkids out of his junk stash. Does anyone have any other ideas or do you recognize what the clock or other parts are from. Here is a link to the main pictures . I would love to hear what the parts are from or what you think it is.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169323&page=4

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

What is this thing?  Empty Re: What is this thing?

Post by sprman on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 pm

How about its a intercom system that works,lol. That be my best guess you can listen and talk room to room.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 pm

That's exactly what it is....you can see the small labels indicating the different rooms/doors. It's an over-the-top Very Happy Intercom system. The clock appears to be out of a mid 1950s General Electric radio....but even that was modified (see the small pilot lamp in the clock face at the 12 position?

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 am

As far as the post goes the items were in the attic and hidden behind a false door. It apparently had been there at least the 70s. Does anyone recognize the models the parts may have been on. I would like to post a link to which GE radio it was from. I thought it could have been a place for the grandkids to pretend to be a spy. They could record what they heard. These items were up there for decades and not touched. I would love to see what is in them. What about the other black box, anyone recognize it?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down