Maybe we should start a list of radios to AVOID for newbies...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Maybe we should start a list of radios to AVOID for newbies...

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:50 am

OK So here is the list so far, of Specific Models:

Westinghouse H-397T5

Zenith radios with the inverted Bakelite chassis
Zenith 6G601

GE 500 series radios

Philco 41-220
Philco 41-295 or similar
Philco  48-482

Olympic 554 (console).

Silvertone model R-1181, chassis 101.611

Graetz/Comedia analogues
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:02 am

Cliff, you hit the nail on the head about those nasty inverted chassis Zeniths.  I have been cussing at one of those for a couple years.  I dread looking at it.  I still need to replace the e-caps, but I can't see where the wires go.  Nasty radios, certainly.

I would nominate almost any European radio as a poor radio for newbies.  They are difficult to repair, with odd circuitry and lots of information in a foreign language.  They work well, but by the time you get them there, you don't care anymore.  

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I think the best radio's for beginners are the late Octal AA5's and the early mini tube AA5's (before the printed circuit boards).

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:37 pm

MEZLAW wrote:I think the best radio's for beginners are the late Octal AA5's and the early mini tube AA5's (before the printed circuit boards).

To expand on that, the best ones for newbies are the tabletop radios that use octal tubes made immediately after World War II, before the miniature IF transformers with their dreaded silver mica design flooded the marketplace!
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Both of you make good points, and well-taken.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:
MEZLAW wrote:I think the best radio's for beginners are the late Octal AA5's and the early mini tube AA5's (before the printed circuit boards).

To expand on that, the best ones for newbies are the tabletop radios that use octal tubes made immediately after World War II, before the miniature IF transformers with their dreaded silver mica design flooded the marketplace!

Good point, I wasn't thinking about the IF transformers.

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm learning to crawl over here, but I'm drawn to 60's and 70's transistor radios. Can anyone recommend one or more of that variety that would be good for a newbie to take his first steps on?
JasonAMFM

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 am

JasonAMFM wrote:I'm learning to crawl over here, but I'm drawn to 60's and 70's transistor radios.  Can anyone recommend one or more of that variety that would be good for a newbie to take his first steps on?

One thing that might be a really good help for you is to keep an eye on ebay and elsewhere for the old Radio Shack experimental labs. Something similar to this below so you can build and get working.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-Vintage-AM-VHF-Monitor-Radio-Kit-Science-Fair-Model-28-163-/181497460331?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item2a4217766b

Or one of these kits you can put together a am and learn how they work. It can teach you a lot more than someone can tell you about. It really helps to understand the technology behind radios.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elenco-AM-FM-108CK-AM-FM-IC-and-Transistor-Superhet-Radio-Kit-NEW-/231058096726?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item35cc22c256

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Ah. What a great idea. Thanks willy3486
JasonAMFM

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

agreed

Post by Art Hoch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:37 pm

I see this is an old thread but I'll second chrisc's nomination of a Zenith portable.  While I generally like to work on Zeniths, the 4G903 is a real pain.  In fact, some time ago I gave up on restoring the chassis on mine.  Just too many problems and too little space to work.  I do like the styling of the cabinet and the flip top on/off feature but.....
Art Hoch

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:18 pm

I have a Zenith console with an inverted bakelite chassis.  It is THE most miserable chassis to work on I have ever seen.  I have been tinkering with it for years and it still does not work right.  Extremely crowded chassis with wires nearly impossible to follow.  I recommend newbies staying away from Zenith period.  They work well when they work, but I find them harder to service in general than some other brands.  I have heard that may avoid Philco.  I find them easier to service than Zenith.  I don't have any experience with Zenith portables.

It is nice to see you post again, Art! Very Happy

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:01 pm

I will advise against the Philco units with the rubber insulated wiring and pushbutton tuning. They are like trying to build a ship in a bottle from spit and cigarette ashes.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Admiral made sets easy to work on. I, too, hate Zenith, and, RCA, and, Philco.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:48 pm

I do not have a lot of trouble working on Philco. I avoid Zenith. RCA is in the middle somewhere. GE solder-dipped chassis and some of their PCB chassis can present a challenge. I like working on Magnavox, since they have metal chassis, typically with plenty of room to work.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by LarryC on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:06 pm

I would add in here the Zenith consoles and table radios from the late 30's and early 40s as they also use a lot of crumbly rubber wiring in their chassis. Also radio's like the hallicrafters SX-42 etc where the paper bypass caps are buried deep in the band switch assembly.
LarryC

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 pm

I have never had issues with working on clock radios and I'm what one might call a "newbie" in the radio restoration world. I recently bought from Goodwill of all places a 1950 Zenith model J733 AM/FM Clock Radio that is referred to affectionately as the "Bugeye" model and the radio on it worked perfectly when I got it without having to do any work to it except replace a couple of tubes, the clock though I had to replace the rotor on the Telechron movement which is actually fairly easy to do, but then now the buzzer function of the alarm clock don't work anymore but I think its just a matter of having to bend the buzzer's tab back into place. I've also worked on old GE Alarm clock radios before without much fuss, and in fact I'm currently restoring an early 1950s vintage GE clock radio that in my opinion looks like one of the easiest chassis to work on as its an all metal chassis that is point-to-point wired (no pc boards or anything) and only has 7 paper caps to replace and has a firecracker style filter caps which are fairly easy to replace because you can get replica Firecracker filter caps in just about any of the common values found in most AA5 radios that utilized firecracker style filter caps over at Antique Electronic Supply for only $6 and some change. I actually restored a Westinghouse Bakelite Chassis radio that was given to me by a friend and I had no problems recapping that radio it, was pretty straight forward actually and its probably one of the most sensitive little AM AA5 radios I own.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top