New here! Hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here! Hello!

Post by holmesuser01 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm a longtime member of VideoKarma, and the ARF, and just discovered this forum. I've been looking at the posts that are here, and recognize lots of names I know elsewhere!

I've got several sets in various stages of repairs. There's almost no solid state here at my house, except for a couple of older CRT sets that I will use until they die.

My oldest baby (TV) is a DuMont RA-113-05 17" TV from 1950. It's slowly being recapped and has all new electrolytics, and some paper caps replaced, so far. I dont have a good place to work on sets anymore, so I have to basically pull the chassis, work on it, and reinstall it in the set, until I get more time to work on it.

I've also got a 1961 Magnavox 23" B/W stereo home entertainment system that I use regularly. It's now in use everytime I turn on the living room 32" CRT TV set for its stereo sound. The Micromatic turntable in it was replaced with an Imperial Micromatic this summer from a doner stereo, and I'm enjoying using it to play the 1000's of albums that I've collected since the early 1960's. When I'm watching an old B/W movie or TV show, I use the 23" CRT. The tube in this set was dead when I got it, and thanks to the internet, I found a replacement, and the set lives on. Currently, there's no work being done on it, so it gets watched, and commented on by my friends when they see it.

I'll begin commenting here and there. I hope you folks can stand me!

I did TV repairs from 1976 until 1995, when I decided enough was enough. When I closed the shop, I had nearly 120 sets in my storage building that were dumped by customers that wouldn't come and pick them up after I finished repairing them! I had a big sale in 1998, and sold a load of sets for my repair ticket costs, and stripped the rest to recover my parts, and made dump runs.

In the gravy days, I was warranty service for Magnavox, Philco, Sylvania, GE, RCA and Zenith. In 1981, I began servicing VCR's.

Being that I started the business late in the game, I had limited repairs on tube televisions, radios, and stereo equipment. I've always enjoyed working on tube equipment, and now, the tube stuff is what I look for when hunting for new 'toys.'

I sold most of my semiconductors and solid state service equipment to a friend when I shut down the shop. The stuff I kept is good in tube stuff, and hybrid color TV's, etc. My friend that bought my stuff swapped me a real load of radio-TV tubes, so in most cases, I have what I need on-hand. I have 1000's of new tubes... nothing is for sale at this point.

I also collect 16mm and 35mm movies, and have the projectors and equipment to handle and project them. I work in the movie business, so the collection is a natural extension of my job.

I'll stop now. Thanks for reading this.
holmesuser01

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: New here! Hello!

Post by Tony V on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Welcome to TRF! We're glad to have you here!
Tony V

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes, I know you. Welcome to tube radio forums.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Welcome, this is a nice peaceful place, I'm sure you will enjoy it! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by holmesuser01 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Tony V wrote:Welcome to TRF! We're glad to have you here!

Thank you, Tony. I like your Cobra.
holmesuser01

Back to top Go down

Post by holmesuser01 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Yes, I know you. Welcome to tube radio forums.
Bill Cahill

Thanks Mezlaw and Bill!

I remember when you mentioned this site at ARF I saved the URL, but lost it. Just found it.
holmesuser01

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Holmes,
Welcome aboard Cool

"I'll begin commenting here and there. I hope you folks can stand me!"

We look forward to any comment or help you can provide here.
atwater10

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum