What other hobbies do you have?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What other hobbies do you have? - Page 3 Empty Re: What other hobbies do you have?

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Very interesting to see what other members enjoy. I'm into genealogy, photography, writing, and oil painting...mostly.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

What other hobbies do you have? - Page 3 Empty Re: What other hobbies do you have?

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Very interesting to see what other members enjoy

Yes it is, and it helps us to know each other a little better too! Smile

I've failed to mention I also collect oil lamps and lanterns as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:46 pm

I have several old railroad lanterns also. They hang around the wood shop along with a lot of old tools and a couple of old machinist's chests. The grand kids like asking what all the old tools were for.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 pm

I'll also snag old cameras if the price is right. I have several Brownies, a Holiday 6 movie camera. I used to have a Century bellows type camera in great shape I bought for the embarrassingly low price of 25 cents at a yard sale. I traded it last year for a nice Zenith tabletop phono/radio combo.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Wow Ben. I would have snagged that too. Great find and great work.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by stromberg6 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:51 pm

I enjoy working on pipe organs, especially unit orchestras ( theatre organs) , WurliTzers, etc. Also collect books on favorite topics.

stromberg6

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Wow, guys. I only have one oil lamp, and, am missing all the above parts. Wish I could complete it.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Bill we have a few shops with lots of oil lamp parts here, let me know what you need. This area has a lot of oil lamps, maybe due to the fact we didn't have the option for power until 1939!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Entire burner assembly, and, chimney. I'd like good originals, but, can't really afford them right now. It's an all glass one, plain Jane.
But, I'd like to complete it.
I't snot a real valuable lamp. It's all glass, clear, and, has one chip on the base.
But, I'd still like to restore it.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Lot of oil lamp around here as well. Post a picture of the lamp or what you are looking to add to it and I'll keep my eyes open. I see that kind of stuff lots. I agree with MezLaw, the rural parts of the U.S. had to pipe the sunshine in until a few years before WWII.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Here is a nice source for neo-luddite lighting and other technology.

https://www.lehmans.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:44 pm

I have a paper catalog from Lehmans, my Dad used to order from them.

Thanks for the link!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:22 pm

This is my favorite oil lamp. It was converted to an electric lamp but without destroying it. I plan to convert it back to oil soon.

What other hobbies do you have? - Page 3 Dec18002

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Beautiful lamp. What type of oil and what era?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

The lamp dates back to the 1860's when whale oil was on it's way out and kerosene was coming into use. I have not been able to make an exact date on this lampbut when I'm done it will burn kerosene.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks. Some of my ancestors were from Sag Harbor, Long Island and were whalers during the 1860's...hence my question. It looked a bit like some of the lamps from that period.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3