Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Facebook Empty Facebook

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 am

Just wondering, how many, if any, of the member here are on Facebook?

What are your thoughts about face book?

Back to top Go down

Facebook Empty Re: Facebook

Post by willy3486 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:00 pm

I like it. I have got in touch with some friends I was in school with about 30 years ago. I also use it to talk with family members I don't get to see. I have a nephew that got married a couple of years ago and have not seen him in a while. I can comunicate with him easy. I also "adopted" some kids in the band with my daughter. They seem like my own and I can see how they are doing. It gets a bad rap but it has a lot of good. Anyone who has one and wants to "friend me" look up music city vintage radio club. Look for willy young there and click my name of Willy Young. If you can't find it send me a email.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:10 pm

I use it to connect with childhood friends and family. It's like everything else in life. Whether it's good or bad has to do with how you use it! Facebook 188

You can find me as Lawrence R. Mezzoni

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi been on FB about 4 years now i find it a PITA as they are allways changing things ..Grr Its great for friends and family.Just wish they would stop making so many changes.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:17 pm

I agree about the changes, they are a PITA!
Facebook Smashfreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I've been on Facebook for about 3 1/2 years. I like it and use it to keep in touch with everybody.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:28 pm

I am a member and use it from time to time. Of course the first thing one does is look up those old flames of yesteryear.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Lawrence, I have tried adding you as a friend and something is not working. I clicked a few times so if you get several request, it was me trying to figure facebook out

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Scott, I logged into FB and responded to your request, we are now FB friends!

Facebook Banana_smiley_6

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm

I don't have it.I see too many people my age use it for bad and i want nothing to do with it.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:05 pm

I agree with Nick.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 pm

What is Face Book? Is it a book with a face on it? Or a book shaped like a face?

Okay, I know and I've closed my account. I opened an account to follow my son's activities. Then it just got stupid. I can understand it's attraction to the 'Viral' generation, but it's not for me. I don't want to meet anybody I don't know, or most people I have known. If I can't email you then too bad. I have a cell phone that I hardly use and Myspace to post photos. This is my only "Social Network". It used to be ARF but not anymore. cyclops
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I, too agree with Nick on this one. I don't have it, don't need it. Never will. Same with My Space, Twitter, Skype, texting, sexting, I-pads, I-phones, Smart phones, Smart tv's and all that other nonsense. All the information placed on these social media sites like Facebook will come back to haunt us.

Regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't want a phone, a car or a TV that's smarter than me and I don't want to read a book on an Ipad.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Well I hate most of all that stuff too!

But......I have a big family which is spread all over, and I need to contact family members and ask for pictures for a family news letter which I publish along with a cousin of mine. We have a private family site on FB and it does help the younger members to take an interest. I have reserved a domain name and plan to set up our own site some time in the near future, at which time we will no longer need FB. I have also had a lot of fun connecting with childhood friends. I guess its what you make of it, I only connect with people I already know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 pm

There is an old-fashioned contraption called a TELEPHONE made just for the purpose of talking to the family. Every family member gets a number. You use that number to call them. The telephone make a ringing sound when you want to talk to them. Why, pray tell, would you need anything different?

Regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Wildcat, I know a thing or two about telephone's it has been my business for over forty years and as a former telephone engineer there are a few designs out there that are mine. lol!

With that said, if you look back at my post you will see I need to get old photos from these family members, photos which they don't mind scanning and posting but otherwise will not let out of there possession. Yes, I know we can email, but FB allows us to have group discussions and a way to find them in the first place. You can't call someone until you know what their number is!

There was a time when the telephone was thought of much the same way you think of FB today! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:17 am

MEZLAW wrote:Well I hate most of all that stuff too!

But......I have a big family which is spread all over, and I need to contact family members and ask for pictures for a family news letter which I publish along with a cousin of mine. We have a private family site on FB and it does help the younger members to take an interest. I have reserved a domain name and plan to set up our own site some time in the near future, at which time we will no longer need FB. I have also had a lot of fun connecting with childhood friends. I guess its what you make of it, I only connect with people I already know.

Actually- that's one of the things it's good for. Sending photos of your dog in compromising positions -not so much. Suspect
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 am

You have to be careful with everything you do on FB.

I know people who take photos with a phone and post them. Well guess what?.....The photo contains GPS coordinates. So when you post a photo of something near and dear to you, others can find out where it is! Your nice restored radio or car can be stolen, or worse, your children could be abducted because you post a picture of them taken with your phone!

Please be careful!

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:53 am

I'm Old School....
If I want to read a book, I'll pick it up and turn the paper pages.
If I want to contact someone, I'll write a letter, or pick up the telephone.
Yeah, or maybe e-mail them.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by harold wright on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 am

I was on facebook for a while. It reminded me of the saying "much ado about nothing"(Shakespeare??). I would get an email if someone I knew "sneezed". I managed to un-subscribe--a hassle. I hear that govt. snoops love it; they can mine a lot of info about your privacy. No thanks.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:09 am

Huge invasion of privacy. Case in point: I was on vacation last year and got a call from a friend expressing his regrets that my Dad had lung cancer. I was shocked and asked where he heard this. Why, on Facebook of course. One of the grandkids found out and plastered it on Facebook for the world to see. My Dad was really upset since he didn't want anyone to know yet. So all the young ones of the family are now under strict orders not to post personal info. All us older folk know to stay away from the nonsense of the site. I'm sure one of these days it will end up in court.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:22 pm

The current generation of people (I'm referring to the youth in general) are Clueless Zombies.
Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

They're so "hooked up" and mezmerized by their little LCD screens that they tote around like appendages, that they don't have much if any brains left.

Oh sure, when it comes to touching a screen or pushing tiny buttons, they're a real whiz....

But common sense?...... forget it.

If growing up and having to live by an LCD screen in order to get through life is the order of things, I'm afraid doomsville is on the horizon.
Those contraptions are abused - overused - relied/depended on for too much - making the mind and people's comprehension weak in the process.
Not to mention oblivious of one's surroundings...

All this of course reveals something to people like me.
....Mass dependency, social insecurities, the need to be "connected" 24/7....... a sad state of affairs in my opinion.
Think addiction - like any addiction - a sickness.
People like that, I tend to stay away from...

I watched the neighborhood people during a block party this past September.
The people next door - the younger ones, sat around the lawn table having beer, and occasionally conversing with each other.... and each one had their Smart Phone on the table close by.... repeatedly picking it up to check the screen for some reason.
To me it looked pretty stupid and lame.
These people were obviously not fully into the festivities of the day - interacting with each other - but detached as well, prone to wandering into cyberland via that little LCD screen.
Sad... watching them picking up that phone, and then putting it down.... over and over.

A person needs to be able to focus on themselves at times - spending "me time" in order to excersize their brains to define their own personality.

The "sharing" aspect of Facebook and constant texting/messages opens up a person to dangerous vulnerabilities, as was stated here before...

Not for me - I enjoy my privacy, and intend to keep it that way.
Even my ancient 2002 cellphone is a pre - GPS model - I don't need anyone knowing where the heck I'm calling from.
If I want you to know, I'll maybe tell you..
They didn't need the feature in 1972, and got along quite well without it.... and they don't need it today.
Yes, back then, people used their brains, and picked up a Road Atlas - understood it and plotted out their journey.

Bottom Line - If all this nonsense technology was turned off for a week.... a WEEK..... all those relying on it would be LOST.
To rely on something to the point that people do, leaves you with nothing to fall back on.
Depend on yourself, not some vulnerable device.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm convinced that my nephew and his wife text each other across the dinner table.

Okay, maybe not, but repairtech hits the nail on the head. Everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE I go people are talking on a phone. I don't want to be that connected. That said I can understand some legitimate uses, such as keeping in touch with children and where they are. Also having one for emergencies is a god thing.

I finally broke down and acquired one. There is a program that provides a free phone and 250 free minutes if you depend on aid like food stamps or housing assistance. I usually wind up with about 100 minutes at the end of the month.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by TimC on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Repairtech is right on the money.
I see parents giving more attention to their facebook accounts than they do their children..
TimC
TimC

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next