ODD jobs around the house

Go down

ODD jobs around the house Empty ODD jobs around the house

Post by terrydec on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Have you solved a problem around the house in an odd way?
I bought a new fan to sit next to my bed. The only problem is that the switch is on the back. No problem-a couple of pieces of wood and a LOT of duct tape and now I can flip it on and off in my sleep.
ODD jobs around the house Odd_jobs_002

I had one of these litter scoops but the handle broke off. Solution- epoxy a plastic support.

ODD jobs around the house Odd_jobs_001

Pretty cool huh?

Your turn...
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

ODD jobs around the house Empty Re: ODD jobs around the house

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Hmmm. I can't think of too many Terry. I have been using a 40% vinegar to water solution for my carpet cleaner since cleaner solution is outrageously expensive. I have also used automatic dishwasher soap since it's low sudsing/bubbling. I pour some in an empty 2 liter bottle and fill with water and shake till the granules dissolve then pour that into the carpet cleaner reservoir. We have 5 cats and 2 large dogs so the carpet cleaner is used quite often.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Vinegar is a great solvent, especially white. I run it through my coffee maker every few weeks. (BTW-run a pot of water before the next pot of coffee).

Soda, both liquid and baking, are great for clothing stains.

Another tip for carpet spills, and I swear I’ve seen this work with a wine stain on a white carpet, and I’ve done it with animal throw up. (Why do cats always find the most expensive carpet or piece of furniture to throw up on?) Pour cold water on the stain and immediately, (that’s important), soak it up with a cotton towel by stepping on it, the thicker the better. Repeat as necessary. Don’t let the water soak through to the backing.

This is a good response- comments don't have to be about jobs-fixes and tips are good too.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes i use tire cleaner to wash the dishes

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Bi monthly ritual today. Fill the vanity sink with hot soapy water using a small plunger as the stopper. Start the water through, close the overflow and swish the heck out of the drain with the plunger. Debris will come up, continue until it all clears out. Prevents clogs, diminishes any odors. I do pretty much the same thing with the large plunger with the tub. I also refilled a small bottle of dish detergent I keep at the toilet. If a clog begins, a bit of the detergent added to the next flush usually gets things going without having to resort to the plunger. When I was young and stupid I thought I would rely on caustic plumber liquid to clear a sink clog. it collapsed and sealed rock solid. Then I got to dissassemble the drain with the stuff still in there. Don't be that guy (me). Prevent.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:21 am

Ken g wrote:Yes i use tire cleaner to wash the dishes

I use my dog. Wink
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 pm

I just did this this morning. Carpet cleaner quit spraying solution. Inspection of the belts showed a broken pump belt. Rats!! Looking at the broken pump belt I thought "hey..this isn't much different than the rubber wrist thing I got yesterday for donating $1 to a charity". Put it on and hey it worked. Cleaner pumped like a champ. Charity band is a bit stretchier than the original belt but it worked. I am sure it won't last long so I'll still order a couple replacement belts online at repairclinic.com. Much, much cheaper than factory direct.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:38 pm

It's nice to be around folks that use their intelligence to get through the hard parts! Smile Last weekend I bought a small compressor at the HF store. Today I used it to clean out the fan and motor assembly from my furnace. Lubed it with the accumulated remainders of my Mobil 1 containers. It looked like i did it just in time as the oil pads were about to go dry. I got a extension wand air gun with the compressor and brought the hose inside. Wrapped a bungee cord around the fridge and made a skirt of moist towels to catch the debris and blew out the coils and fan beneath it. Finished up the days fun by burning my sensitive papers in my burn cage. Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:03 pm

I have a really great surround sound system, (of course). Friday night I'm watching a movie and suddenly my sub woofer starts sounding bad. Sure enough, there was a separation with the rubber. As an experiment I used some rubber cement and plastic strips from a grocery bag. Now it sounds better than before and the speaker resonance point is 40cps, lower than it was. I just used my test CD, The Organ Symphony, and WOW!!!

ODD jobs around the house Sub
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:08 pm

I wonder what happened to my other images?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I finally watched a movie with lots of sub-sonics- explosions and stuff. My subwoofer sounded great for being held together with grocery bags.

For another unique speaker repair watch my T8-18 restoration video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7j11ZtKO6o
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm thinking of starting a business repairing speakers with toilet paper and grocery bags.
Idea Wink
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Don't let your clients know about the repair materials! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I know. Cool I'm kidding of course, but if you've watched my video about restoring the T8-18 you'll see that I used an old cone from another speaker and lots of toilet paper. When painted you can hardly tell the difference. If I painted this one it would probably look the same. I'm amazed that they even work, much less sound as good as they do. drunken
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm

For many, the most difficult part is feeling comfortable with giving it a try. I have used nylon from donated hose and semi liquid rtv silicone for tears and pops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Heres one I heard, if your kid has a bandage that is sticking to hair just use a hair drier on it and it will come off without pain. That was from the Doctors TV Show.

Oh wait one more thing! If you or your Kids have the Hiccups, just take a spoonful of peanut butter, That comes from my mother, rest Her soul. It coats the nerves in the throat.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Trust me, a trick a Ham taught me a long time ago- to repair a tear single ply toilet paper works every time. And a good paper towel, like Brawny, can repair a hole. DON'T use Duco, Elmers or any other plastic or wood glue. It's like putting sticks on the cone. Good ole Library rubber cement.

And who knew, (not me 'til I tried), that grocery bag plastic would repair rubber surround separation.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down