New Here

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Here

Post by Steven Reeves on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 am

Hi All,
I have been coming here and lurking whenever the ARF server went down. I really like the feel of this forum and plan to make it my first "go to" site.
A little about me.....I live in the Pacific Northwest in Chehalis Washington. What else...oh yeah I'll be 51 in a couple of days and I love to bring Vintage Radios and Televisions back to life.
I started working on AA5s when I was about 10 years old. That's when my Elmer (Kurt Hanson) taught me some theory and how to tell a resistor from a cap and determine the value. He also taught me how to solider.
As a kid I was always checking for goodies on garbage day and would drag home tubes, radios and sometimes an old B&W Television.
By 11 I had my own B&W television that I assembled from parts of three sets I'd dragged home. A tuner from one, a better CRT from another and so on.
By 13 (1974) I had the first color TV in our house. I pulled that heavy thing on hand-truck about 3/4 a mile to get it home. It was an old Packard Bell Color Television. I remember that set ate 6GH8's like candy. I did my first convergence setup on that set as I recall it took me a while to figure out how each adjustment interacted with the next one. I only had a homemade degaussing coil (that got pretty warm if left on) and a color-bar / crosshatch /dot generator I borrowed from my Elmer.
Since then I have worked as a microwave antenna test tech and also was employed as an engineer at a Foundry testing sand samples (very boring) bounce
I am now a Bosch certified Tech and troubleshoot auto electric circuits (Mainly European) Here's a fun fact did you know that some cars modules communicate with other devices over a network type system. Look up / google CAN-BUS systems to see how it works if you like. It's a very interesting way to control the various devices in a car almost Rube Goldberg like. Okay enough about cars lets get back to vintage electronics.
My next project will be a 1949 RCA KCS38 Chassis I think it is a model T120 however I need to drag it out of storage to verify. I know it has a 10bp4 CRT in a medal cabinet. It has the remote picture expander option so a few relays and switches that were not in similar RCA Chassis. Anyways I hope to meet you all here in cyberspace.
Regards,
Steve
Steven Reeves

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Re: New Here

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 am

Welcome Steve! I'm fairly new myself and also like the comfortable feel of this board. There is a wealth of knowledge here! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 am

Welcome to the forums, Steve. I look forward to seeing many pictures of that set. I've never oned one with that feature.
Somethingto help.
If it's T120 it's 12".
If it's 10", it's T100, unless it has grill cloth on both sided of the mask, and, accross top front. Still a metal cabinet. Then, it's a 9T246.
These sets are tricky to repair, but, when properly restored, play very well, with a very good picture.

Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Welcome to TRF Steve!
Tony V

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Welcome aboard Smile
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Steve, Happy to have you here Cool
atwater10

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:06 pm

welcome
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Welcome

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven Reeves on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Steve
Steven Reeves

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Steve, glad to see you back. I'm going to be getting busy on my projects soon. Feeling better, and, am waiting for new toyz from NY to arrive Saturday. See TV forums. Oh, Oh. Two new toyz coming.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Another Washingtonian YEA!
Do you frequent the Hamfest in Puyallup? Are you a visitor to the Puget Sound Antique Radio Association (PASARA)?
Fun Forum Here, Welcome!
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm

If you look closely you will see that Steve's last post was Oct.15, 2012 Sad
Tony V

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down