Music. Bands and singers. Who are your favorites?

Go down

Music.  Bands and singers.  Who are your favorites? Empty Music. Bands and singers. Who are your favorites?

Post by ChrisH664 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 am

Besides talking about 2 out of 3 of my favorite subjects, radios and records, my other favorite subject is music. As Jim Morrison sang "music is your special friend...until the end".

My musical tastes vary depending on my mood at the time. From Pavarotti to Hendrix I'll listen to and love it just depends on my mood.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:

The Doors. They had it all especially Morrison.

The Beatles. Talk about a band re-inventing themselves, with the help of some illegal substances, in a short period of 6 years.

Frank Sinatra. He had that certain tone that noone can ever match.

Barbra Streisand and KD Lang and Karen Carpenter. Perfect pitch I say.

Ella Fitzgerald. Lady could sing the phonebook and I'd buy it.

Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Chet Atkins all got wonderful sounds out of the guitar without all the technical add ons. The string bending, especially by King and Vaughan, on high notes would slice a non-guitars players fingers up pretty good.

Buddy Rich. Notorious jerk and hot head but the greatest drummer ever.

Glenn Miller, Satchmo, Woody Herman, Bob Wills and Texas Playboys all get my toe a tappin and make me feel good.

Cream. The power trio never to be matched.

James (Jimi) Marshall Hendrix. The man could get sounds from guitars noone ever knew existed. Primarily a blues guitarist he felt stuck with the hits everyone wanted to hear. Some of his better stuff was recorded live w/ Buddy Miles on drums. Great live recordings at the Fillmore New Years Eve '69.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Music.  Bands and singers.  Who are your favorites? Empty Re: Music. Bands and singers. Who are your favorites?

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

Interesting thread Very Happy

I like mostly instrumental music. I also like big band such as Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey. I also like fifties music right up to mid 60's for the most part, especially the Beach Boys and the Ventures.

Does anyone play any instuments? I play Saxaphone, but not well enough to quit my day job!.....LOL

Back to top Go down

Music.  Bands and singers.  Who are your favorites? Empty Re: Music. Bands and singers. Who are your favorites?

Post by willy3486 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:08 am

I am the same way as far as music,it varies. The odd thing is I have a lot of connections to Nashville and country music but I don't like it. I never was into it much other than the 70s and 80s stuff. It has too much about drinking and running around for my liking. I lived in Nashville going to college and got to know a lot of people involved with the musician then. My dads cousin was Dottie West but I never met her.

As far as what I listen to now it varies. At work I turn on a lot of the internet stations. Most of the ones I go to are like lastfm, kabl, and a few other that have easy listening and big band stuff. I listened to Cusco one day and then celtic music yesterday. I try to listen to a lot of the less stressfull stuff these days due to my blood pressure. If you have kids in college and are taking care of elderly family members you know what I am talking about.

One thing I have gotten into is music that is not mainstream or you big name stuff. I go to youtube a lot. IF I find something I like on youtube I then play the person on last fm. One person that I have gotten into lately is Ingrid Lucia. If you like Billie Holiday look her up. You will think they are the same. One song I can't get out of my head is Gangham style. I have no reason why I can't. MY daughter showed me the video and it is so odd it stuck with me.

As far as playing music I am not musically inclined. If I sing cats will usually run in front of cars to get out of their misery. Now my wifes family is musically inclined. My wife has sung with Arron Tippin, Dan Timinski, Allison Krauss, and some members of Ricky Skaggs band. We are friends with a former member of Skaggs band who went out on his own and he brought some of these people to the school my wife works at. My wife was there and he got her up there to sing with them. As far as Tippin my wife was in a community group that has sung with him a couple of times in our local town. He lives here and helps out with stuff. My daughter is also musical.She can pick up a instrument and teach herself how to play.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I am probably the youngest Lawrence Welk collector on the planet. I have Welk material on 78's, 45's, open reel tape, 8 track tape, DAT (remember them?), cassette tape, LP's and CD. I collect all the "children" of the Welk family as well. Guy and Ralna, Bob Ralston, Joe Feeney, Jim Roberts, Hotsy Totsy Boys, Blenders. My collection also includes Lynn Anderson, Pete Fountain, Frankie Carle, and Eddie Peabody, artists that were either former cast members, or closely allied with the Welk organization. I got my first Lawrence Welk record in 1959.

My band director in high school taught us to recognize the different big bands within the first four bars of their recordings. I can do this with most country singers up to the middle '70's. After that, country became rock and roll and later, rap with a steel guitar. The stuff that is "top 40-" today is disgusting.

So, basically, I like anything that I can whistle. Rock and roll and head banging stuff is not my cup of tea.

Patsy Cline, Al Martino, Connie Francis, Sinatra, Eddie Fisher, Rosie Clooney, Helen O'Connell, Dinah Washington, Perry Como, Andy Williams, Bobby Vinton, John Gary, Jimmy Durante, Frankie Fontaine, Ralna English, Kitty Wells, Jimmy Dean, Mac Wiseman, Carl Smith, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold............I could go on forever.

Regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

I am set and very happy with Pandora.com internet radio. Don't like a song on your station just give it thumbs down and they won't play it again.

Top 40 today is un-listenable in my opinion. One singer, Adelle, I really like just like a breath of fresh air. Buble is great too.
I mentioned KD Lang before and I like her too.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Top 40 today is un-listenable in my opinion.

I'm with 100% on that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:54 pm

So, i'm willing to bet i'm the only death/black metal fan on these boards. Laughing

I'm the guitarist, bassist and vocalist in my own tech/death metal band called Infinite Misery.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by stringbender31 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 pm

I have pretty broad musical tastes, anything from classical to heavy metal. I appreciate it all, it just depends on how I'm feeling as to what I'm listening to. I tend to go through phases. I may listen to oldies for a while, then punk, 80's hair bands, motown, classic rock, big bands, bluegrass, metal, jazz, ... the list goes on. My genre most listened to though is blues, mainly Chicago style.

I come from a family where just about everyone either sings or plays an instrument so music has always been a big part of my life. I play guitar, bass and mandolin but I can't carry a tune in a bucket.
stringbender31
stringbender31

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm

My contemporary favorite is Jean Luc Ponty. I like Miller, Kenton, Basie, Ellington, Hampton, among others. I also like live jazz performances of the '40s and '50s, particularly Coleman Hawkins and Illinois Jacquet. I also enjoy Red Nichols' groups of the mid to late twenties and early thirties. I have a decent size collection of cd's and keep a large collection on a USB flash drive that I play in my cars' receivers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 pm

IMHO, the absolutely only popular singer today with a modicum of talent is Carrie Underwood. Unfortunately, the material she is stuck with is abominable. Now, if she would record some Connie Francis material, that could be a different kettle of fish altogether.

I have no idea what a death/black metal band is.

Regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm anywhere between Motzart and Metallica, but I mostly listen to Big Band, swing standards. As far as favorites: Johnny Mathis, Jo Stafford, Michael Buble, Karen Carpenter, Louie Prima, Kelly Smith & Seth Mcfarlane (the guy who voices Brian on Family Guy. If you haven't heard his album, check it out.)

For the few of us who listen to metal / hair bands, check out Dee Does Broadway. Dee Snider of Twisted Sister puts his spin on show tunes and it's... well... different, but I like it.

Agreed on the abominations that are on the radio today. It's just awful. It doesn't help that the only radio stations around here play rap or country & i can't stand listening to either. Internet & satellite radio are the ONLY way to find something worth listening to.

Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:11 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I have no idea what a death/black metal band is.

Regards.

WC

Well if you want to find out just do a youtube search for some of these bands (if you don't care, don't bother Wink ):

Immolation
Anaal Nathrakh
Deicide
Vital Remains
Cannibal Corpse
Nile
Amon Amarth

Them are my favorite bands at the moment. Twisted Evil

Nick

Nick666
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:05 am

Nick..question for you. Who, in your opinion, were the pioneers of metal?
Blue Cheer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJONgWKFi0
Black Sabbath? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqy4DTHGqg

I would guess Sabbath primarily due to the fact of their popularity.

Back in the 80's I was hanging with the punk scene. Living in Topeka we'd head over to Lawrence, college town, or Kansas City and see a show just about every weekend. Black Flag, DK, DRI, Battalion of Saints, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rhythm Pigs all on the playlist. Henry Rollins of Black Flag fame slapped my best friend in the face. Don't ask.

One Saturday we caught wind of a show in Lawrence at a bar that held maybe 1000 people. Word was to not miss these guys even though none of us had heard of them. So we got there early and staked out our claim. Band was Living Colour. We saw them maybe 6 months before this video and it was the most intense and unforgettable night I had ever experienced. 3 encores...we wouldn't leave. They played "personality" 3 times due to the fact the song list was short.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwJkaT2PHM&feature=related
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I have always thought of Black Sabbath as the father of metal.They just had that darker sound right from the beginning due in part to Tony Iommi's down tuned guitars(something that is now common in metal).
Nick666
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Well, Nick, I cared, I checked You Tube, I'll pass.

Thanks.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum