Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts

Go down

Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts Empty Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:16 pm

I cannot verify this but if you pay someone for anything and the person ask to send the payment as a gift, I would think twice before doing it.

First off all they have to do is jack the price up to cover PayPal charges.

Second if it is sent as a gift then you have no ,recourse because it is not a legitimate sale and there is no contract.

So if you don't get the item that you purchased in good faith, it won't give you any recourse for recovery because it again was sent as a gift not a purchase.

And yet PayPal is probably the safest way to buy on the Internet, because PayPal requires financial information including bank info, addresses etc that are not available to you. And of course I usually always check on the web for Addresses and Phone numbers to see if names and addresses Jive.
Don't be taken advantage of your good faith. Too many charlatans, Another thing is be wary of first time posters, check and see how many postings and their helpfulness to others, not a guarantee but wisdom goes a long way.

Just think about that along with other scams.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts Empty Re: Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Actually, if you send it as a gift, there are no Pay Pal charges. I've used it. I know.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393

Back to top Go down

Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts Empty Re: Headsup on sending Paypal payments as gifts

Post by terrydec on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:17 am

The ONLY time that you pay fees on ANY PayPal transaction is on eBay.
I transfer money, pay bills, send money to my son and pay my rent with it, all free.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:31 am

Actually, that's not quite true. I found that if a person buys something from you YOU pay them a fee. It's happnned to me....
But, you are right on the bills.
I always have a buyer give me the money as a gift.
That way there is no charge.
But, as you say, I"ve even paid bills for parts from Just Radios, and, from VM Enthusiasts with Pay Pal with no trouble at all.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Actually, that's not quite true. I found that if a person buys something from you YOU pay them a fee. It's happnned to me....
But, you are right on the bills.
I always have a buyer give me the money as a gift.
That way there is no charge.
But, as you say, I"ve even paid bills for parts from Just Radios, and, from VM Enthusiasts with Pay Pal with no trouble at all.
Bill Cahill

That's always true with eBay because they are connected, and I'm not arguing the point. However there are payment 'options', and one of them is "other". I just sold an item on Craigslist and got paid through my PayPal account. PayPal didn't know the difference between whether I was being paid or just getting a money transfer so there wasn't a fee.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

That's always the option I take, other. It doesn't charge me if I'm sending. But, unless it's sent as a gift, they take a fee from the receiver.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm probably wrong but any time outside of e-bay, when I purchase something from someone on the forum and they request the gift type request for like $100 and I do that, I think they get the full $100 and I get charged a higher value. Just a way for the seller to get what they are actually asking (fair) and I the buyer, well pay more for the use of paypal. Am I wrong?
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Not true. I have sold, and, bought like that. Pay Pal gets a cut, and, one party, or, the other comes out on the losing end.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Humm- that's strange. I bought something this month from an antique store, sent my nephew some money and paid a friend a debt-all by PayPal. No charge. The only time I've had to pay a fee to PayPal is when I use it to buy or sell on eBay.
In fact I just got an email invoice for September-zero balance.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Leigh on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:First off all they have to do is jack the price up to cover PayPal charges.
Thereby asking those of us who don't (and won't) use paypill to pay more for the item.

- Leigh

Leigh

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 am

terrydec wrote:Humm- that's strange. I bought something this month from an antique store, sent my nephew some money and paid a friend a debt-all by PayPal. No charge. The only time I've had to pay a fee to PayPal is when I use it to buy or sell on eBay.

You don't pay the fee the receiver does. If you pay your bills with it, the company you paid gets hit with a fee just as if you used a credit card at walmart. There are transaction fees associated with payapal. You as a sender do not pay the fee. You as the acceptor pay the fee. If you send as a "gift" and you have a balance in your paypal account there is no fee, If you don't have a balance ( or a bank account tied to your paypal ) there is a fee.
receiving money is the only time paypal fees have been paid by me. ( no matter where from ARF, EBAY, whatever)
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:33 am

simplex1040 wrote:
terrydec wrote:Humm- that's strange. I bought something this month from an antique store, sent my nephew some money and paid a friend a debt-all by PayPal. No charge. The only time I've had to pay a fee to PayPal is when I use it to buy or sell on eBay.

You don't pay the fee the receiver does. If you pay your bills with it, the company you paid gets hit with a fee just as if you used a credit card at walmart. There are transaction fees associated with payapal. You as a sender do not pay the fee. You as the acceptor pay the fee. If you send as a "gift" and you have a balance in your paypal account there is no fee, If you don't have a balance ( or a bank account tied to your paypal ) there is a fee.
receiving money is the only time paypal fees have been paid by me. ( no matter where from ARF, EBAY, whatever)

Sorry but that STILL doesn't make sense. My friend owns an antique store. I bought a telephone from him. It was $25. I put $25 into his PayPal account from my checking account and there was nothing in my PayPal account. He got $25, not $23, or $22.58, nor did my checking account get billed more than $25.

If I have a balance in PayPal and buy an item, let's say from AES, PayPal takes my balance and then the remainder from my checking account.

We must be talking about apples and walnuts. I pick "Other" from the options and NEVER pay a fee.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 am

I don't know how you are so lucky. Twice, a sender paid me as a gift through Pay Pal. Twice I was charged a fee.
And, my card is associated with my bank account.
Pay Pal also says that if I sell an item through e bay, I also pay a fee to pay pal, as well as the e bay fees.
And, by the way, e bay owns pay pal.
They've been trying to get me to get a credit card through them for "a low introductory rate".
No thank you........

Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 pm

At least now you can reach eBay customer service by calling PayPal. Yes they offer their own credit card; so does Sears, Bestbuys, Office Depot, and a bunch of other places.

I'm looking at a recent order from Radio Daze, 04/17/12. Logo- $7.50
Shipping-$4.40 (also the amount on USPS label)
Total amount- (Paid PayPal) $11.90
I've also pulled up my PayPal invoice from April- $0.00 balance.
So unless the policy has changed in the past 6 months I must be doing something right.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Terry, you will never see any indication of what fees the other person pays to paypal. take your radio daze example. It will send $11.90 to Radiodaze from your account (be it checking or paypal balance, they will not take the fee from you. When it arrives in Radio Daze account. It shows to the "you got $11.90 from Terry" Then it breaks down what fees they removed from radio daze account when they log into their account, There is no getting around the fees, you just will never see what fees others pay when you send them money. It does not matter if you pick "other" or "goods" the recipient pays. That is the agreement for accepting paypal as a service.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Well, that may be true- But-
The item was $7.50, that is the catalog price.
The shipping was $4.40, that was the actually price it cost them to ship, (Priority mail has the postage on the label). So where is the PayPal charge? It can't be in the price of the goods because not everybody pays by PayPal, and it's not in the shipping and it wasn't charged to my PayPal account- so where is it?

Look, I'm not trying to create a big mountain out of a simple comment made about an experience somebody obviously had. I just hate it when people make a fuss about eBay and PayPal. To me they are the best thing since sliced bread with butter and jam, strawberry Jam.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I've seen a couple of payment systems set up to be alternatives to paypal, with accompanying endorsements from the sites that used them exclusive of paypal. It took about two years for one of them to fail with people getting taken right and left, monies sailing off into oblivion, sellers not getting their money and not shipping goods. It makes me think about what Churchill said about the democratic process, it's the worst system, with the exception of all the others. Paypal is much the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Paypal takes it as a % of the sale just like credicards do from the merchant for using the system

Example:

5/20/2011 20:42 Payment Processed Completed You've got money! USD 12 (gross) -0.65( Fee) 11.35 ( NET) Soldering Iron

The above example was when I sold a solder iron to an ARF member. The total with shipping I charged was $12
I received $12 into my paypal. Paypal took $.65 as a fee and I had a net of $11.35 out of my $12. So paypal takes theirs on the receiving end.

I am not griping just stating that they do charge "someone" (the merchant) for use of their system
So you as a buyer will never see a paypal fee and it is never "added" to the amount it is subtracted from the amount on the merchants end. So if you are selling you do see fees after you receive the money.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Okay- I'll send someone $5 from my PayPal account. Let's see what happens. Only one please.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:06 pm

I suggest an experiment.
Someone sell me a cheap item-for instance a pencil. (One of those mechanical with 0.7mm lead would be nice). Send me the PayPal address by PM, (no hanky panky, I promise), and I'll transfer the money with my mailing address. The shipping can come out of the five bucks, ok?

Of course I could be wrong.
I have been-
once-
in '86-
on a Thursday afternoon I think. Cool
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum