Crosley 10-401

Go down

Crosley 10-401

Post by Brian Stroud on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 pm

This one looks like a winner. Very Happy

There was a member on ARF who was looking for someone to give this telly a home. So I stepped up to the plate.

This one, the cabinet also was not in very good shape and got worse while shipped here. I opened it up and it was all in pieces with the CRT clearly less than an inch away from being necked. So this was a close call. It was suggested on ARF to get some two-part and epoxy the cabinet back together. I didn't feel I was going to be at any total loss by trying, so with nothing to lose and everything to gain, I gave it a go, and it was good.

This has a good 10BP4, at least from what my eyeballs can determine. There was a partial raster until the horizontal oscillator stages failed and a set of windings on the newly replaced flyback cooked. The HOT was redplating and wanted to take that so I unplugged the speaker which was the closest and easiest connection to pull at the time and that cut the power. This shows what I have now.

The horizontal oscillator is in that back corner. Something connected to one of the legs on that tuning coil shorted to the chassis somehow and that's what did it in. That flyback no longer exists.

When I looked it over, I saw that the recapping that was done was a partial recap. That means I get to finish it. Very Happy

I got the original flyback that was in it earlier this month. I cannot tell what's wrong with it, other than the anode lead was missing.

Brian Stroud

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Crosley 10-401

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Just saw this post...how is this coming along?
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeh. How is it coming?????
I want to know.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:18 am

It's slow going. I went to order the parts for it yesterday only to have absolutely no idea what I'm ordering so I'm pretty much starting over. Between not being able to remember certain things and having the schematics for this set somehow disappear from all of my storage devices I'm doing just that - starting over. To now I had something in the horizontal section short to the chassis. Then lost the flyback. I did get the original, the HV part of it needs rewound. I can't do anything much further until I change out these caps, and I can't even do that until I find a source for these schematics and information and replace those with new.

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:38 pm

They can't be rewound. They were done a special way at the factory.
Many replacements were made by Triad, Thordarson, Merit, etc.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:43 pm

I always try this when I see someone who might need a part. It may or may not help, but here it is anyway. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcrosley+horizontal+flyback+transformer.TRS0&_nkw=crosley+horizontal+flyback+transformer&_sacat=0
75X11

Number of posts : 4894
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:47 pm

They said no one could go to the moon either and look what we did. We not only went to it, but landed on it and came right back.

It's an interesting way these were wound. The wire was laid side to side as the coil turned rather than being laid a course at a time like it's done on anything else, such as voice coils. It seems like this kind of open core forming is a lost art and no one being able to replicate it. Either way, there's a certain way to do it and then you have to do something to finish it too. But I'm not going to worry about trying to do this or look for anything else until I get the capping done. I may use a different one and dedicate it to the CRT anode anyway so it's not tied in with the other functions on the original that is if I determine there is nothing wrong with the rest of these windings. But less the CRT anode winding the rest will allow me to do other diagnostics in the horizontal and AGC sections even though I can't see the full product on the screen.

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Oh cool! Thanks!

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 am

If the winding is shorted it puts an over strain on the flyback. It won't work, and, will eventually burn up.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:02 am

75X11 wrote:I always try this when I see someone who might need a part.  It may or may not help, but here it is anyway.  Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcrosley+horizontal+flyback+transformer.TRS0&_nkw=crosley+horizontal+flyback+transformer&_sacat=0

No matter what some people say, you can't just willy nilly throw any part in, and, expect it to work right. Too many differences.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:46 am

That was a general search. That will usually give all the replacements on offer, then the user can look for the specific replacement that would be called for. That was not meant to imply that all of the parts shown would be a good match.
75X11

Number of posts : 4894
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:28 pm

The winding isn't shorted. It just isn't there. Not saying that none of my other windings are shorted, but if the HV winding originally was shorted, then yeah, there's still a chance the primary winding burned up. However I'm still a long ways off from being able to find out anything. I ordered a Sam's yesterday. I should be able to get all of my caps figured out and ordered up, then I can get the rest of them changed out. Then I should have my next plan of attack soon after.

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 pm

After recapping set, try it.........

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Tried it. No red plating this time. Everything seems to be alive and well. I don't hear any weird oscillations in the horizontal section so that's good. I did have a replacement mica cap fail and I found the width coil open while I was cleaning up first. I don't hear any ticks in the vertical section and my screwdriver didn't vibrate in the neck hole either so something may still be off here. I found a multi tap can cap in this section that I overlooked earlier and may be the culprit. The stray signals coming off my phone can be heard through the speaker so the receiver section must be working properly too. Now I'm trying to find a way to draw HV off the driver circuit.

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:11 pm

If you have an open width coild, you won't likely get hv. Sams should give replacement numbers, and, it shouldn't be terribly hard to find a new old stock replacement by somebody such as merit, Triad, or, Thordarson.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 pm

It's not open - open since it has a mica cap bank across it but it is open. The sams is showing the coil going across the sweep coil on the flyback. Being that it is part of the sweep circuit loaded on it's own output coil this will only affect the sweep circuit itself, such as the overscan on the test CRT. Hence the oscillator runs. I have HV now. I took one of many HVT's that I have, meant for a black and white set, and put the primary in series with the primary on the flyback. The primary is less than an ohm. And the flyback is shown to have a 70 ohm primary. So this extra ohm doesn't throw anything off. But the HV I'm getting from it is enough to drive the test CRT so I can see a raster now. It showed me that I still have a problem with the vertical sweep circuit. It appears half of it is still cut off. I'm betting anything it's that can cap kicked the bucket and not doing it's job. I think I'm going to keep this HVT in here.

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:59 pm

I've had a few issues between then and now. Mainly having to do with caps. If one wasn't in the right place then one was the wrong voltage rating. Anyway that's sorted out. HV is not up to spec for the 10BP4. But it is working. Now that I've shoved it back in the cabinet I'm going to be right back where I started. If I pick it up again it's going to bottom out.

Brian Stroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down