My Ford Ranger

Go down

My Ford Ranger Empty My Ford Ranger

Post by terrydec on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:02 pm

About two years ago I realized that I needed some form of transportation. I sold off most of my collections including my antique telephones, telegraph equipment and microphones. I really hated selling my mic collection.

After looking at a few vehicles on Craigslist I found this ’92 Ford Ranger. It had some body issues but I drove it around and it sounded good. He wanted $1250 and I offered him $900. As I left the motor vehicle place I thought I’d been screwed. The motor was missing and black smoke was pouring out the tailpipe. I was sure it had at least a blown head gasket.

But that night I drove it again and it ran fine. Since then I've figured out that it must have sat for a while. Some new gas made all the difference. Since then I’ve replaced the rear brakes, replaced all four tires, fixed the heater and AC, put in a new thermostat and tensioner and fixed the gas gauge. (I got tired of filling it up and setting the odometer).

The engine has 265 and change but purrs like a kitten, (in fact better than my kitten). I admit I drive kind of hard but this baby responds when I need it. I have a little shimmy on the freeway which I think is the front left bearing and I’m gonna take it in when I get a chance. Of course everybody says I'm overly sensitive about anything wrong, and they're right.

Over all I’d say that it is just about the best deal I ever made. Tomorrow I’ll try and post some photos.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

My Ford Ranger Empty Re: My Ford Ranger

Post by Motorola man on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 pm

We had a full size V8 Chevy van as a company vehicle, that was purchased new in '95. After over 360,000 miles on the original motor (never rebuilt), about 8,000 of that was after it had already blown one of the head gaskets, we finally let it go to the scrap yard. It was still running when it was retired, not well mind you, but it still moved under it's own power. It was a sad day when it was crushed. I put up a memorial plaque at the office where the keys still hang to this day. I'd say that we got our money's worth out of that one and then some.
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Here is a very helpful site for your truck. I've been using it for about 8 years now.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 pm

19&41 wrote:Here is a very helpful site for your truck. I've been using it for about 8 years now.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Great. Thanks
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am

What was done to fix gas gauge?
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:38 pm

simplex1040 wrote:What was done to fix gas gauge?
They took apart the gas tank and replaced the pump. The sender was an integral part of it. When they finished they had a defective seal. They had to give me a ride home and bring me back the next day. I asked how much they lost on the repair and all they said was that I was still a valued customer.

I have Mineke do all of my work. I checked around and they charge a little more but do a MUCH better job. Now they do some stuff for free and allow me to provide my own parts. Not too many places will do that.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 pm

That is prob what it will take to fix the one on my dads 92 ranger. must have been a defect
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:53 pm

They only last so long. That was one of the first repairs I performed on my Bronco II.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm

I don't think that it's a defect, just getting old. After all the truck has been around 20 years. I chose to pay for the fix rather than fill it up and set the odometer every time. If it is a 4 cylinder stick then it has a 16.3 gal tank. I get exactly 16mpg, which is pretty good considering it got 18 when new. 16.3 X4= $64. The repair cost about $200. But now I can put in $20 and know roughly how far I can go.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:11 pm

My Ford Ranger Truck_001

My Ford Ranger Truck_002

My Ford Ranger Truck_004
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm

We're going in for a minor operation on Monday to replace the water pump. affraid

Wish us luck.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 pm

You'll have good luck. This is the time of year to get the coolant issues all taken care of. Which engine does your Ranger have?

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm

19&41 wrote:You'll have good luck. This is the time of year to get the coolant issues all taken care of. Which engine does your Ranger have?

2.3L

Apparently when it ran out of coolant it pinned the temp gauge which trashed the sender. It blows hot air like the Sahara, but not a bump on the gauge.
Another fifty bucks. Ya know, three hundred here, four hundred there, another grand and you're starting to talk about real money. I should have just saved the engine and put it in another truck. No
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Not to worry, sounds like your Ranger will be an out patient! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:10 pm

It beats making a new truck payment though. I work on my own and that saves even more.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm

19&41 wrote:It beats making a new truck payment though. I work on my own and that saves even more.

It's getting harder to do your own work. My nephew takes care of stuff like changing the thermostat and doing a tune up, but apparently the sensor needs a computer code reset.

I remember my Mustang and the hours spent under it. But my favorite was my wife trying to deal with a carburetor re-build kit, (remember those?), on the kitchen table.

I don't want a vehicle, (or phone), smarter than I am.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Your truck uses an OBD II type computer and the reset is as simple as disconnecting the negative battery cable and shorting the disconnected cable to the positive cable. One other thing that can cause no gauge indication is if the coolant is not fully topped off. Make sure you check the overflow reservoir for a few days. When the engine cools, it will draw coolant into the engine and the reservoir should be kept filled to the recommended level when cold. That will help eliminate air pockets from the system. The sender will not work in a air pocket.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 pm

They pulled the radiator, fan, belt, housing, and a bunch of other stuff that was lying around. There was some rust they cleaned off. It was topped off and pressure tested and they drove it around to make sure there isn't any air pockets so I think they covered all the bases. But I'll have to drive it around like it is for awhile anyway, (empty pockets). Maybe it'll start to work. With the info about the computer maybe my nephew can do it.

BTW- I have both issues of the Haynes manual books. (Yes, there are two slightly different copies), and a book of the complete wiring and vacuum systems.

I have another problem. When I try and shift into first gear it hangs up unless I drop it into second and then into first. I was told that there was a ball, or plate-something anyway, at the bottom of the shifter that might need grease. The clutch works fine, doesn't slip, and shifts into all other gears, including reverse, perfectly.
Any ideas?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 am

I'm not a good one to ask on transmissions, but you should ask the folks on the Ford Truck forum about it. If there is a simple fix for it they will know it. The Haynes manuals are very good aftermarket manuals as they do have electrical info. I also have the shop manual and shop electrical and vacuum manual for 1988. There is a seperate transmisson manual for their diagnosis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down