Crazy wheelchair drivers

Go down

Crazy wheelchair drivers Empty Crazy wheelchair drivers

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 pm

I really want to share this experience, but since it got me in trouble I will be VERY careful what I say.

This morning I was driving down the street and as I approached the intersection, with a green light, a lady driving a powered wheelchair just rode across the street in front of me against the light and not even looking. I slammed on the brakes and yelled at her, pointing to the light which was still green. She flipped me off. I couldn't believe it.

I had a similar experience a while ago. I was pulling out of a parking space and barely avoided someone riding through the parking lot. These people are required by law to use the sidewalk. That's why cities had to tear up sidewalks and install ramps.

I have also noticed an attitude that some, but of course not all, seem to have. It is that they have the right of way-period. If you try and say anything they imply that YOU have a problem, not them.

This attitude and the resulting dangerous behavior is very scary. I don't know if this is a local problem and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Note: This thread is not intended to disparage ANYONE needing to use these aids. I have had problems, such as a broken bone, where I needed to use the powered grocery cart. But I have always tried to behave in a manner that did not cause any inconvenience to others.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Crazy wheelchair drivers Empty Re: Crazy wheelchair drivers

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Terry,

This seems to be the way society as a whole is going. As you well know, yeah, this isn't just an issue with people with physical issues, it's a people issue.

I've had some real "fun" experiences much like yours. This being a college town there is a LOT of crossing against the lights, especially in the downtown area. The worst are the bicyclists. I see many that HAVE NO REGARD for the motor vehicle safety laws they are supposed to be following--even blowing thru a red light..."cause hey they're not a car". Embarassed

What's really bad is it seems the legal system is on the side of the violator. Even though you had the green light, if you would have hit her, I'm sure some wonderful lawyer would paint a picture of you as lawless mad man on the road that creamed some poor innocent finger-pointing Very Happy person confined to a wheelchair and sued you for a bazillion dollars. LOL
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 pm

My sister uses a scooter to get around and she actually drives as though she wanted to preserve her own life. If I'm with her, I keep an eye out for traffic also. Welcome also, I saw where this subject was excised elsewhere. I work in a job that keeps me on the streets of a large city and have noticed that all traffic habits have went downhill in the last few years. I am dreading the holiday season as all the people who seldom drive will be out and about. It used to be the only time the craziness ocurred. No more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 pm

My wife is in a wheelchair and has had some bad experiences the other way around in stores, people will block isles and back into her surprised. Cut Her off to get in line and the list goes on. So there are always two sides to the coin. Just to balance it all out. The point I'm trying to make is a lot of persons are self centered, no matter what happens and Kindness takes a back seat to being polite and considerate, but there are a lot of gentle people too. cheers
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Note:
Though I'm trying hard to stay out of a wheelchair, I am disabled. I've been legally blind all my life. With advancing age I'm finding new disabilities are making it harder on me...
Terry, I agree I have seen some people in wheelchairs really take wrong chances, including riding the wheel chair down busy streets. However, I have seen just as much insanity out of people without disabilities. So, I don't say that it's all the handicapper's fault. It most certainly isn't.
I think all share in reckless behavior on the streets.
I've seen perfectly normal bycyclists deliberately riding in the middle of the road daring any drivers to touch them.
At the same time, while I was still able to ride my bike, which sadly, I no longer am, I"ve been attacked by drivers, and, had foul words, and, threats thrown out at me.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:My wife is in a wheelchair and has had some bad experiences the other way around in stores, people will block isles and back into her surprised. Cut Her off to get in line and the list goes on. So there are always two sides to the coin. Just to balance it all out. The point I'm trying to make is a lot of persons are self centered, no matter what happens and Kindness takes a back seat to being polite and considerate, but there are a lot of gentle people too. cheers

I should have implied in my comment that there ARE of course cases where the opposite is true. The other side of the coin. And on that side I also have a comment. There was this girl, very pretty in fact and I wish I had known her better, who didn't let her disability hinder her in the slightest. She might as well have been riding a unicorn as that chair. Her chin was always up, there was always an impish grin on her face and a light in her eyes. Her disability was invisible.

But back to my original comments. The other day I watched as a woman riding a three wheel cycle held back a line of cars by riding right smack in the middle of the right lane, right next to a designated bike lane.
Comments?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am

I think the biggest issue is people have lost a lot of self respect of themselves and others. People seem to be in the me,myself and I mode anymore. I have seen people being rude to handicapped folks and I have seen handicapped being rude to others. I use to get so irritated at healthy people parking in handicapped spots. To use a old phraise , they had no raising.

The last few days my daughters car has been in the shop. She lives and goes to school an hour away from home . I work in the same town, yes 2 hours round trip each day for me. I have taken her to school for a few days and I dreaded it. Not due to her but the other college students. They seem to have a death wish. They will walk out in front of you and not even look. Its like going into a building where someone is herding rabid cats. Someone is trying to catch the rabid cats so they are stirred up and running all over. At the same time you are trying to get to the other side without stepping on a rabid cats tail that will bite you if you do.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I think people need to learn respect.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 am

I agree. Some people have lost respect for others. I think this started fourty years ago...
While going to Junior high, after getting my first job, which, while in the same city, was nearly a mile away, I used to ride my bike to work from school. One day, getting on the bike, a black car started chasing me. It was one of the students who didn't like me. He was driving his dad's car. He led me on a merry chase that I didn't like down Beaconsfield, then, up one of the side blocks. I ran the bike onto a front lawn to get away from him, junped off the bike, and, jumped on the front porch. He ran the car all the way up the sidewalk to the first porch step with the car. The owner of the house, shocked, proclaiming "What the?!". He backed the car out, and, hightailed it out of there.
I nearly got killed because of that fool!
That is definately a dis respect for human life right there.......
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:32 am

There are too many times when I will come upon a scooter driver in the street and then look over to the sidewalks, and the self styled flower children who live there have let them become overgrown with their plants, weeds and shrubs. They can't even be troubled to take up their leaves and let them pile up on the sidewalk. I have seen too much of this to let it get to me too badly. Besides, the car drivers are after me too, and they require the rest of my attention. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm

A lot of us older members remember when people respected each other, kids said "Sir" and "ma'am" and if you got in trouble you got spanked, twice. Once by whoever caught you and again when you got home.

Things WERE a lot different back then and I think that I know why. It's simple-

Men wore hats! That's right, EVERY man wore a hat. My theory is that those hats helped keep order by blocking negative thoughts. Think about it- the people who abused their family, used drugs or drank, or killed people- DIDN'T wear hats.

Okay- the argument could be made that lots of people wear Baseball hats. Duh- those aren't really hats- they are pieces of cloth usually hiding receding hairlines or showing allegiance to some athletic team. My new motto is "Bring back Hats and Save our Kids". Pretty cool, huh?

terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm

I say hats off to that idea!!!!! lol
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I agree. Baseball caps don't count as hats. And I can remember when a man wasn't dressed without a hat.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:10 am

And people got dressed up to go out.

But then society got lazy, and now we live in an Iphone world.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:25 am

Don't even go there! I've been complaining about people paying more attention t cell phones, computers, and, the like more than they do to each other for years!

In modern society, isn't it true, I mean really true that people who avoid people are the true handicappers??
Handicapped from society, and, what we were meant to do.....
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 am

We had a man get hit in his wheelchair here the other day, he pulled out in front of a car.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 pm

simplex1040 wrote:We had a man get hit in his wheelchair here the other day, he pulled out in front of a car.

There should be some kind of national awareness public service campaign similar to the one about distractions while driving. Unfortunately it will take more incidents like this before that will happen.

However writing a letter to your local paper could be a start.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down