What would you have done?

Go down

What would you have done? Empty What would you have done?

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Here's one for you guys....

I've started selling again on eBay...been a while since I've sold so naturally I'm cautious, even though I know it's hurting the bidding. I only ship to the US. I already told a Canadian eBay'er I'm sorry, but at this point I won't sell to a Canadian address as I'm just starting to sell again and don't need anymore headaches--I have issues enough with the US postal service, let alone I have no idea what kind of "new" if any border regulations/expenses there are with something leaving the US.

Anyhoo, here's a message I just got....again I'm being cautious, but I feel like a real jerk as I said I wouldn't do it (nicely) as I want to sell only to the confirmed US address associated with the buyer.

Apparently one of my auctions caught the eye of an eBay'er in Italy. He asked if he could pay for the items--assuming he won (via PayPal) if I would then send item to a US address (supposedly his daughter's address). This was to be a gift. He feedback/user info seems up and up, but I just didn't feel good about this situation. I'm always leary of scams and such.

What I included in my message was "what if" he were to pay and I send out the item as requested and then the daughter never received them. This could potentially be a mess. He-said, she-said, lost in the mail, "item never rec'd" but technically he wasn't gonna receive it anyway...

Embarassed

Just seeing what you guys have to say.

Thanks
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

What would you have done? Empty Re: What would you have done?

Post by Motorola man on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Insure it, get a tracking number & deliver confirmation. That way if it "doesn't make it" then it's on the shipping company.
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 pm

I read the entire auction description before bidding on any auction and time and time again I see folks writing that they will not do business with anyone in Italy and the main reason I see is shipping problems with long ship times and losses. Another one I see on international auctions is that people have had problems with fudging the customs descriptions to list as a gift to evade duties. Just thought I would let you know. If there are enough instances of such things going on, there might be something on it where the people write in questions and comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 am

I agree with the insurance and tracking info. To many scammers out there. You should see all the bogus emails I get if I put something on craigslist. I don't blame you about not selling to foreign addresses. Nothing against other countries but too much can go wrong from here to there. As far as what you should do ,if you have concerns then just don't do it. I figure that little voice in my head saying not to do something is there for a reason. I never liked selling on ebay. I want to find something to do to make a little spare change on the side. I had thought about everything from reconing speakers,making knobs, to rebuilding radios again. I don't want to start repairing radios due to all the kooks out there and the liability to them. I have thought about repairing guitar amps or buying radios,fixing them then reselling them. But I am a radio addict and I find it hard to part with one of my babies once I get it going.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 pm

My listing always says-
PayPal and shipping to contiguous USA only
thanks for looking.

I've shipped to Canada once and China once. NEVER again.[u]
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I've had problems in the past with items taking too long to get here from across the border. Seems that sometimes Canada Customs likes to put a death grip on parcels.

I did order a Coca Cola transistor radio from and ARF member 3 or 4 months ago that would only ship to a US address. He was willing to ship it to a friend of mine in the US for me and would actually have shipped it before receiving payment.I told him to wait till payment was received as I was in no hurry. I tend to feel safer that way. If it gets lost, at least the seller has his cash. Mind you, this was a long time member of ARF and I trusted him as well.

It was a good sale even though it took 5 weeks for me to get the radio. Razz

Cheers!
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:08 am

Basically with tracking if it gets to the US address then you have fulfilled your obligation. I would not ship overseas.
I have sold some things to some one in peru via a US address and I stressed that once it arrives at that address then the transaction was complete. They agreed and it worked out fine.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 am

I have been very, very lucky in shipping 78's overseas. No problems yet. Italian customs seems to be a major problem. One buyer in Italy said "sticky fingers" is a problem with them.

Insure the package w/ delivery confirmation and as mentioned above you're covered.

If shipping overseas you can only insure Priority Int. You are unable to insure 1st Class Int. Kind of a stupid rule I guess but what do I know?
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum