Locked out- weird.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Locked out- weird. Empty Locked out- weird.

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm

I started a new thread on ARF about almost hitting a powered wheelchair driver today. Then I made some comments about it. The thread was removed. I got an email message that a reply had been posted, and when I followed the link it said that I was "Locked out of this forum". However I just posted a comment on another thread. I guess either I'm 'partially' locked out or he just hasn't caught up with the rest of my stuff yet.

I don't think that any of my comments were out of line, or derogatory. I would hate to lose my membership because except for this site it is the only fun I have on the internet. I've already stopped posting on another radio website because of too many caustic comments.

Maybe we can start a new forum about leaving ARF. I know some people already have. Wink
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Locked out- weird. Empty Re: Locked out- weird.

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:24 pm

I'd rather not start a thread of that sort. I let the last one die, and, was relieved when it did.
I no longer use ARF myself, but, I don't want to start a war here.
That lock out probably means they put it into problem posts.
You can post it here if it is not derogatory, flaming, or, band language.
But, please be careful what you say. I won't close your account, but, I just don't want anyone causing a war with you here....
Feel free to post often here.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm not going to war. I'm too sweet, and cute. I was just being a little sarcastic. Maybe the new Admin. is just stretching his wings.
You know me-I try to inject a little humor into my threads and some might take umbrage. (There's a word you don't hear every day.) I have some good friends on ARF and some detractors. I even have friends outside the forum that I met there.

I'll be good and if I'm not you have my permission to give me a good slap on the hand. Razz
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:50 am

Like Bill said I don't want to start a war here either. But I think it may be due to a similar subject post to yours by someone there a few months back. The post got out of hand and there was a lot of nastyness that was passed around in the post. So it may not have been closed because of your post but may have been closed so it wouldn't get out of hand like the preveous one did. I go to ARF sometimes but I have almost quit posting. I post here. I also do some sarcasm but most of the time I aim it towards myself. As far as this place it is great. I see more of a "family" atmosphere here than a lot of the other sites I go to. I guess that is why it is the one I go to and post now.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 pm

News flash! Another thread hits the dust!
Someone started a thread about his Medicare benefits yesterday. A few of us who have experience with it started posting some comments. Totally innocent. I don't know what comments got posted overnight but this morning it was gone. There is currently a thread "Medicare 101' about it. So far there are two comments. One of them is mine suggesting that it got political. Who knows. In fact by now THAT thread might be closed.

I miss Alan.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by gw42 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm

The other thread (on wheelchairs) on ARF was really bad; I believe it took place shortly before the forum got a new admin, which is why I think it may have went on longer than it should have.

Having said that, ARF Clubhouse is getting more censored these days, with threads getting deleted for mentioning the word "gold" in them; that's a fact, not a complaint, although I think you can go too far with OMFS (over moderated forum syndrome).

You could always contact an ARF mod or admin and ask your thread get reinstated.

gw42

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Terry, polotics at ARF are not allowed, along with religion. I understand that, as it has caused alot of trouble.
I allow a little of that here, but, if it gets out of hand, I'll lock down, also. I can understand their thinking on it.
It probably got political.
That includes mentionning names of government people, including the president, parties, and, such. I've seen flame wars start from that, and, I think it's one of the better ideas Alan had. Terry, if you want a full lenghth explanation from me on what happenned, please pm me. I'll explain it.
I just refuse to talk about it publicly, and, don't wish to spread it around.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Not a problem. Like I said, I'm gonna be a good boy.

And I totally agree with forum rules about religion or politics, or species, (except for Martians of course).
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Now, Tim, listen to your uncle Martin.............
Oh, oh, here comes capt. Brennen.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 am

Wouldn't be funny if one of the Mars rovers crested a hill and saw this big eye looking back? Shocked

The shortest short story ever-
The last man on Earth heard a knock at the door.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Left ARF some time ago. As I have a forum I operate (Philco Phorum) plus enough other stuff going on in my busy life, I don't miss ARF at all.

Terry, come on over to the MSARC swap meet on October 27th in Lexington. Should be a good time.
Ron Ramirez
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Ron Ramirez wrote:Left ARF some time ago. As I have a forum I operate (Philco Phorum) plus enough other stuff going on in my busy life, I don't miss ARF at all.

Terry, come on over to the MSARC swap meet on October 27th in Lexington. Should be a good time.

I'd REALLY love to come meet some other people and check it out. I'll have to see if I can get a ride though. I don't think my poor Ranger is up to something like that. In fact just today it came down with a radiator problem. it's probably not a big deal since water isn't pouring out of it.
(Quick side note- This '92 Ford Ranger is my little baby and one of the best investments I've ever made. It needed some work but the engine runs like a sewing machine.)

Anyway- if anybody is making the trip from Louisville I'll chip in on the gas.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Sorry for thread drift, but what is it about those old Ford Rangers??
I looked for a used pickup for yard work for 2 years, around here rusted junk with 200,000 miles are 4 thousand bucks
I got my 91 Ranger for 750 bucks, and everything all works including the AC.

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Popularity. Everybody wants a twuck. No one wants a car anymore. Rolling Eyes

Ford Rangers have a good reputation, and they are easy to maintain (so I have been told as I do not own one).

You think that's bad? Full-size F-150 pickups that are 8 years old or less cost more than a brand-new F-150! Shocked I was looking at them recently, thinking about a good radio hauler to replace my Buick Roadmaster Limited wagon. I think I'll just wait a while.
Ron Ramirez
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:53 pm

I've taken care of the drift- Check out my Ranger thread.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:48 am

The thread below is why I was recently banned from ARF. No explanation, no reply to my request for clarification as to what exactly prompted the ban;
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Pond
Post subject: Re: WTB: Philco Model 16 Dial.
Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 11:37

John Bartley wrote:
No reply to PM for location - poster is obviously not interested.
john

I replied;

"Not everyone logs in here each and every day....work commitments, other interests, etc.
Some people actually have a life outside their computer, thank goodness.
Ron."
I won't be spending much time at ARF in future for the same reasons outlined by others in this thread.

Hope to spend more time here and the Philco Phorum, where the atmosphere is decidedly more friendly.

Ron.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:22 am

I wouldn't worry about it Ron. I joined ARF back in the late 90s but did not get too involved. I got out of radios soon after I joined. I don't remember the atmosphere there at that time but I don't think it was like it is now. I rejoined there a year or so and I never felt like I fit in. I wish them the best there and I do occasionally still go there and post. It does get to me at times how they do there so I do not partake much. I will occasonally chime in but not much.

Now this site I like more, nothing wrong there its just that this site is more in line of how I am. So far it seems everyone gets along and for the most part we come here for the radios. I don't fit in there as well as I do here. I had a few run ins there and got tired of it so I cut back. I use it mainly to kill a little time. I was at a different site years ago, a truck site and it changed as well. It was not friendly anymore so I left. I haven't logged in that site in years.

What I look at is not what I have lost by not going to arf but look at what I have gained by coming here. This is a good site, I like how it is. To use a term the teenagers use there is not much of the "drama" here. A lot of the folks there I liked to read posts from are here now. I wish a few others were but thats up to them. I like to think we can make this site as good as one can make it by keeping it positive here.

As far as myself I don't really require a site like this. I grew up working on these things when they were castaways so to speak. I have collected books,parts,and anything to do with them since the late 70s as a teen. I also went to school and graduated from a technical school. I worked on these years ago so I know a little of how they work. This info is not to brag at all but to state a point that I can do this hobby without a site like this, I did without one when I worked on them before.

I still am learning and relearning on these as I go. It is a hobby for me as I can now plan to do stuff like this more. My daughter is in college now and I have a lot more free time. I want to get back into them and be able to help others getting into them. I want to provide a positive attitude towards those getting into them as I was provided with the old TV guys who helped me many years ago. So to me ARF has a certain feel and flow to it that doesn't match how I am but this site does. Some there match that personality and it works for them. Thats fine with me, to each his own. I won't let a few peoples personalities there make mine bad and angry here. I fit in better here so I post more here. A lot there do seem grumpy there but thats life. You find it everywhere. We seem to me to be more relaxed and into the hobby here more than over there. This is no way a complaint here from me but more of how I see it. I fit in better here so I stay here. I say we keep up the positive attitudes and love of the hobby. Or at least thats how I see the site here.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Stroud on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Ron Pond wrote:The thread below is why I was recently banned from ARF. No explanation, no reply to my request for clarification as to what exactly prompted the ban;
Ron Pond
Post subject: Re: WTB: Philco Model 16 Dial.
Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 11:37

John Bartley wrote:
No reply to PM for location - poster is obviously not interested.
john

I replied;

"Not everyone logs in here each and every day....work commitments, other interests, etc.
Some people actually have a life outside their computer, thank goodness.
Ron."
I won't be spending much time at ARF in future for the same reasons outlined by others in this thread.

Hope to spend more time here and the Philco Phorum, where the atmosphere is decidedly more friendly.

Ron.

Just a guess but someone may have taken this the wrong way.

Brian Stroud

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm

I have left ARF and only post here anymore. I had two threads deleted and one thread edited for stuff Alan wouldn't have bothered with.

BTW- I don't know how many of you know this but once when Alan's server crashed for several days it was Bill who stepped up to the plate and took the load. I don't remember if he got credit for that, or even a thank you; but it shows what friends do for each other.

P.S. Arf is what my dog says when he wants to go out- Razz
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks, if you mean me... I do try to help. I just don't want any bashibng of anyone, or, any forum here as it can only bring more trouble.
I tried several times over the years to lend a helping hand when ARF went down. All I got was complaints from moderators that I had no right being a mod at two forums, and, alot of people ignoring my offer of help. Oh, well. I tried. I no longer consider this forum to be a life boat for ARF'ers, but, they are still welcome to join here.
And, I'm not saying they can't be members there, either.
I don't know where that rule came from, but, it's stupid, if you ask me.....

But, I just want this to be a pleasant atmosphere for everyone, and, I'm a happy camper.
Only one thing.
We need help with donations. If donations don't come in, we are in danger of losing this place. I don't own the server. I'm paying rent for it in form of donations, which buys points, which buys server space.........
Please help.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 am

I was going to stay away from this thread but I will respond briefly. I join ARF only a few days before I found this site. I asked a question about car radio conversion kits and got a lecture on destroying old radios! On other posts, no matter what I posted it was criticized by someone who had a better answer. If you have what you think is a better answer/solution fine, post it without knocking someone else’s post. When a whole thread came up missing, I sent a PM to the moderator to be respectful and not in the open, asking what happened. I just wanted to know so I could better understand the board. Again I get a lecture about questioning a moderator and a stern warning for my actions. Now that board has a lot of good people and a lot of good information so I’ll tread lightly when logging in over there. I am an administrator at a forum for telephones (myphonetechs.com) and we got started due to a bunch of grown men acting like little girls at a pajama party at another forum. We do have moderators who are moderators at the new and old forum. There is no right or wrong here, just different personalities. I say spend the greatest time where you are the most comfortable but always keep your options open and don’t burn any bridges. This post is meant to help understand the differences and not to bash another board, that will only succeed in creating a headache for Bill.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 am

Mezlaw, I went over there and looked up that post. The points you posted about are exactly why I am here more and not there. I have been done the same way and thats why I don't post there much.

On a more positive note I know what you are wanting to do with the auto radios. I will frankenstien a radio or make a new cabinet to save one if I have to. Some of the old 60s am radios today would do good with a conversion. I have quite a few of the ones more valuable ones that I wouldn't do it to.

On my old ford truck it had a odd AM radio that you bolted it with nuts to the volume and tuning shafts. What I did was to rebuild it to get it going. Then I used a FM converter, a echo chamber from the 60s, and a power booster. That enabled me to use a MP3 usb fm adapter to play my music and have two speakers in my truck.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

On my old ford truck it had a odd AM radio that you bolted it with nuts to the volume and tuning shafts.
There should also be a brace from the back of the radio to the edge of the dashboard for relief.

Those are the very radios I'm working on.

You can call me Larry, we're all friends!...LOL Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm

I have one spare I want to make a power supply for and make a case for. I plan on using it in my shop. You may have them but if you need info or schematics on them let me know. I think I have quite a few on them. At least I think I do. Sorry for getting off topic on the post.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 pm

ON this one, off topic is better..................
I could give my opiniions, and, have some, but, will only talk in private. No bashing wanted here.
Thanks, guys.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next