Someone expain the current ebay site to me

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Someone expain the current ebay site to me Empty Someone expain the current ebay site to me

Post by willy3486 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Can someone explain the current ebay site to me? Years ago I did use it some, not much. Maybe 10 to 20 purchases and sells. I would look for something and it might be a minimum bid of 5 bucks and worth that or more. Some things were buy it now, a example is one time I bought a thermostat controller for a oven in my camper for about 15 bucks. You could get stuff at decent prices. I did sell a few items like some spare parts to a truck I have. I sold a few items and made decent on them. I had to pay about 3 fees maybe for a total of 10 to maybe 20 percent, and this is a guess. These prices and such were decent and made it worth while.

I got to thinking about it after Bills post on ebay. Now when I go to ebay some of the prices are crazy. I saw one price for a cabinet,GE maybe, from the 60s for a buy it now of 5 grand . The minimum of 3 grand. I have also seen other stuff at ten times the value. I have seen these items reposted over and over. Now one time I had something that didn't sell and I still had to pay a small fee. So my question is how do these people make anything? I have seen items posted for months it seems and they don't sell, no wonder the price asked. I have noticed the high prices on a lot of stuff I look at , not just a few oddballs. So how do these people post a piece asking thousands when it would be lucky to get a hundred but do it over and over. Looks like they would pay a lot over time to only not sell it. So what is going on with these items for sale?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Someone expain the current ebay site to me Empty Re: Someone expain the current ebay site to me

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:20 pm

You only pay ebay listing fees when it's sold. Alot of people are clueless.
Someone is trying to sell a 60's record player for 9000.00. Go figure............
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4412
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Someone expain the current ebay site to me Empty Re: Someone expain the current ebay site to me

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 am

Bill Cahill wrote:You only pay ebay listing fees when it's sold. Alot of people are clueless.
Someone is trying to sell a 60's record player for 9000.00. Go figure............
Bill Cahill

Is there a different way to sell stuff on there? Years ago I had some bumper brackets for a truck like mine. To make a long story hopefully short these are usually hard to find because they are made odd and people would replace with different types. So I put this spare set on I had. For whatever reason they didn't sale at that time, they usually sell better in the winter when people are working on them in the winter. So I wound up paying a little for putting them on and not selling them again. So if you don't sell the item and don't put them back up to be bid on do you not have to pay anything? I would love to bid on stuff and buy from ebay,forums but it just seems too much of a trouble. Maybe I am lazy but I don't want to deal with paypal.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

There are always those who feel that they can get a extortinate price for an item. That was the promise of ebay once but most of us has come to our senses over the years and such prices are regarded as a joke now. Ebay is a marketplace and caveat emptor applies there just as much as any other. You may also find there are more people that will not participate in a sale that does not offer paypal as an option. As more post offices are closing, people do not want to put up with the hassle of hunting down a money order. This might seem unfair, but when your sale is one of many, it is a few moments' effort to select another auction. I didn't write this to admonish nor provoke, but to explain why folks do as they do. Also to sell some special interest parts, some extra time for an auctions' exposure can really improve it's chances of a good sale.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I agree. First, I guess ebay changed their rules, again.
Secondly, they have alot of places you could sell the item.
Manny times I see stupid listings by people who don't think.
One example recently is in the antique phonograph secion someone trying to sell ladies' purses, new, of course.
I don't like ebay, and, hate pay pal.
I just got my money refunded on that broken record by seller yesterday, but, crummy pay pal refuses to release the money for four days.
I hate pay pal.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm

ebay allows the causual user to list 50 items every 30 days for free. They upped the final value fees to accomodate the no listing fees. They also now add fees to shipping. the reason they added the fees to shipping was because people were selliong items for a penny and charging $40 for shipping to make up for price and circumvent the ebay final value fees.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks for the info. I only sold a few pieces I had left over from restoring my truck. I sold them to buy the paint for the truck . We used a small savings account with paypal, I didn't trust sending cash through paypal with our checking account. I like going to the meets and hunting for stuff. But every now and then I wouldn't mind buying online.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:55 pm

yes you have to list the item they take a %
when you sell the item they take a %
The say You Must take pay Pal They take a %
now you have paied 3x for just trying to sell your One item is it worth it all that trouble depends how the market is for what you have doo your research good.
Just MY $.02 worth.
antiqueradiobuff
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 pm

To me eBay is next best thing since sliced bread. I love it and buy and sell all the time. I have noticed that summer is a very bad time to try and sell. Another thing that I found is do NOT put a fixed price on an item, go with the auction and start a $9.99. My favorite example is an antique motor that I got with some telegraph stuff. I spent some time restoring it and put it up with a "Buy it Now" price of $50. Nothing. I re-listed it in auction and it sold for $325. Now that is an extreme case but I've found it to be true. If you have a very expensive item put a "reserve" price in the auction. I have sold a few items at exactly the reserve price. My theory is that some people 'must' know the reserve price.

The one thing I hate is losing an item in the last 30 seconds. I don't mind being outbid because you can see the process, "You have been out bid. Bid again". But there is something called the "Snipe" program. This is supposed to be an aid for people who can't be at their computer to bid. But sometimes it is used to hide the bid. The reason is that the Snipe will wait until the last few seconds to enter the bid, thus circumventing the "Outbid" notice.

As far as the percentages that eBay and PayPal charge- I don't have a problem with that. To me it's just the cost of doing business. Plus I figure that since PayPal doesn't charge for other purchases or transferring money it evens out. However I do hate it when someone makes much more money on shipping than it actually costs.

I have made a LOT of money on eBay, and bought items that have been fun to fix and resell, or were nice additions to my collection. I use my background in professional photography and writing to post an item and I have a perfect feedback score. I think it's lots of fun, even though it is sometimes frustrating.

Lately though I've been doing a lot more business on Craigslist. There are no charges, no shipping, and you get cash in your hand at the point of sale.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dorpmuller on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Good God... Craigslist is a complete bust around my area. I hardly check there any more.

As a buyer, I hate auctions with a passion... I don't do waiting or mind games. Thanks God for Esnipe, otherwise I wouldn't have much of a collection. Otherwise I'll try to make a backdoor deal for buy it now.

Mid 50's-late 80's solid state is my thing, and they aren't found locally here. It's ebay or nothing.

Tube radios come from area antique malls where some prices are actually pretty good. I won't bother with shipping tube stuff... seems all the shipping horror stories are with tube electronics.

Rich
dorpmuller
dorpmuller

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 pm

I used to collect vintage microphones and had several fairly expensive ones. Now I don't, but I have wheels. Anyway- I just looked at a listing on eBay that had two really nice RCA microphones. However the sale includes this tube amplifier that is worthless and heavy. I sent the seller a message suggesting that he might consider re-listing the mics only.

P.S. I've got two really nice consoles, a tombstone, an electric mower and a Ford Ranger, (plus some other neat stuff) from Craigslist. I also like to sell- no shipping and instant cash.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:31 pm

I sell and have sold at least 2,000 78's on Ebay over the past 18 months. 2 broken records are the only fatalities. I pack well.

I am with Terry in that I can think of no better venue to sell. I see record sellers at flea markets with thousands of records and think of the work that entails! As far as I'm concerned Ebay is better than having a "brick and mortar" store.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:00 pm

ChrisH664 wrote:I sell and have sold at least 2,000 78's on Ebay over the past 18 months. 2 broken records are the only fatalities. I pack well.

I am with Terry in that I can think of no better venue to sell. I see record sellers at flea markets with thousands of records and think of the work that entails! As far as I'm concerned Ebay is better than having a "brick and mortar" store.

Amen
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I make money off Ebay, but indirectly. Many people by used office phone systems on Ebay trying to save a few dollars. Wheb they get them, they soon find you you need special software to program the system and many times there is a password that needs to be busted. I make good money busting passwords and programming these Ebay "deals." Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't think I like that.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't think I like that.

What part Bill, busting passwords? It's OK and perfectly legal if they are the new owner of the system.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 pm

I just hope it's nothing illegal like breaking member's passwords for others.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't think I like that.

I think it's kind of iffy. Hacking cell phones is bad, but I've installed office phone systems that needed more programming than my computer. Re-setting an office phone system, (if that's what's going on), would be a good thing.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:47 pm

NO,NO, a thousand times NO.....I would never do that!

Many installers put in passwords in order to have the owner come back to them for on going work. I don't put passwords in the systems I install, I want you to come back to me because you like my work not because you're forced to. The only time I bust a password is after I determine you are the owner of the system and you don't owe money to another company. I do the verification by getting the serial number, then as an authorized dealer I can find out who the original dealer was. I then check with the original dealer and see if there is any outstanding invoices. If there is you don't get a password reset. I run a very honorable business and have a good reputation for being above board.

Sorry to scare you! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:I just hope it's nothing illegal like breaking member's passwords for others.

Now I see what your concern is, not to worry, I wouldn't know how to bust a forum password and don't want to know either.

Re-setting an office phone system, (if that's what's going on), would be a good thing.

This is what I do as an authorized dealer.

Back to top Go down

Post by panther on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Mezlaw;
Bill asked me to post this for him, as he's having a small computer hard drive issue. He said to say; "OOP's I misunderstood the post, thanks for the clarification."

Bill
panther
panther

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:33 pm

No problem, I don't want you all to think the new guy is a hacker!.....LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:18 am

Hacker?
I thought you said Whacker.
Never mind. Sad
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:12 am

And, believe me, I am embarrassed. Please don't leave. My goof. Hmmmmmmmm Too much milk that night??
I sure messed up...
No hackers here. A slightly wacky administrator, yes. That's it.
Anyway, sounds like you have a very interesting job there, and, profitable, too.... And, you get to do it out of the confort of your home. That will work with me.....................

Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:53 am

Mezlaw is like what we use to call crackers and not a hacker. Sometimes you need to get into a system for a legal reason. One time a place I worked at had one of the hospitals they owned to send a computer to us. They were having issues with large funds disapearing and the CFO had abruptly quit. We had to bypass his passwords so that the finance folks could see if he did take money. If he did they could then turn it over to be prosecuted. At that location they did have people who were hackers. It was a huge organization and they hired these guys to hack into the website. They did that so that they could find more ways to be secure.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next