I hate ebay sellers!

Go down

I hate ebay sellers! Empty I hate ebay sellers!

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi. This is a major rant............
Three weeks ago I bid on, and, won what turned out to be a brand new 78 rpm children's musical record, which I also collect.
It came in a padded envelope with a big open crack right down the middle.
Not playable. Alot of tiny chips missing make the needle jump.
Now, I won a classic Roger Williams 78 in excellent condition. Autum leaves arrived in manny, manny pieces, due to poor packing in a flexable cardboard box.
I'm really sick of this .......
A few months ago I bid on, and, won a somewhat scarce 1951 Admiral bakelite table model Radio, phonograph.
She called it a classic collectors' item in the auction. I gave her careful instructions on proper packing.
That's not how I received it............
It was loose, in a flimsy cardboard box, with only two pieces of wadded up newspaper.
It was totally destroyed. Even the spkr. was ruinned by a large chunk of the cabinet tering through the cone.
When I contacted her, her reply was,, "I didn't see the importance in packing it the way you wanted it. After all, it was just an old piece of junk I had stored in the garage."
I'm thinking it's time to give up............................................
Boy, am I sick of this.............................................................................................................................
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

I hate ebay sellers! Empty Re: I hate ebay sellers!

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Just out of curiosity, what did these folks feedback history look like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:13 am

I don't remember the first one, but, this guy is 100 percent positive, and, high number.
He said he thought packing it in a album box would be o.k. I have to take a picture of the pieces for him.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 am

I've gotten a sellers' first mistake on a couple of occasions, also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 am

Apparently, that's what happenened here.
He thinks it's a vinyl record. It's not. It's shelac.
I just e mailed him pictures of the broken record.
He prommissed my money back. I'd rather he hadn't poorly packed the record...
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 am

I haven't bought on ebay in years. I never had issue like this but most I bought was not easily damaged. I don't think I have ever bought on forums, to agravating to pay. I like the enjoyment of the hunt. Anymore the stuff I usually find is at radio and ham meets. Over the last year I have bought a dozen or more items at meets and probably only one or two radios at other places. Meets from what I have seen have a fair asking price for the most part. But most people looking for a quick buck that are not in this hobby look up the prices from the pickers reality show handbook of high prices then they double it for good measure. I saw a 70s am,fm,8 track record player in one of the big cabinets being asked for about 500 just because it was "old" , "Valuable", and "antique" . Yeah its valuable, you can't find many glued sawdust cabinet radios made big enough for a clan of polar bear refugees to live in. Makes me appreciate the tabletops I have bought this last year at meets.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 am

I can beat that. ON ebay........
A week ago a modern piecd of crap record player, SS asking 900.00 openning bid.............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 am

That is a mistake they are making for their own benefit. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 am

You know what I use ebay for ? I use it to save pictures of radios and ads. I have saved few pictures of radios so I know what knobs, pointers or the colors it should look like. I save a few ads and such to print out and have next to my radios like the ones in the ads.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 pm

To make matters worse, he refunded my money today, but, pay pal is refusing to release it. Damn pay pal!
Bill Cahil

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:23 pm

I used to use ebay 10 some years ago . At first i looked & bought transistor radios . I saw a couple plastic tube radios from my past i wanted . They both came broken in half so i never bought another bigger radio through the mail .
I dont find alot of radios anymore but do find some here local . I enjoy it that way or try to trade one off of Jeff .
One came in last week to my shop . Its wood and real small early 30's , super good original everything .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 am

Hi all,

I've bought numerous items over the years on E-Bay and only had 2 items damaged in shipment. One was definitely due to poor packing.

Fortunately, the damage was minimal and the seller returned my shipping costs, which, to me anyway, covered what damage there was.

The other was very well packed, but the post office still managed to break the meter in the tester I had bought.

I don't buy as much this way any more due to the legalized extortion that Canada Post calls shipping charges.

Hope you fare better in the future Bill.
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks. I think I may not buy any more 78's. That's two broken ones in one month.
I've also had way too much bakelite stuff arrived smashed, and, even some wood stuff broken.
This last record was smashed to smithereens.
Sure, they apologized, and refunded the money, which crummy pay pal still won't turn loose of. I'm going to lodge a formal complaint against them today.
I'm just sick, and, tired of the mighty ebay...
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 pm

I wonder if a sale came up that was important enough if it might be worthwhile to send the the seller a proper container to ship the record in. I see some corrugated containers on ebay that would do a better job than a bubble lined envelope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Long before EBay and the internet,I purchased a radio from the classified ads in Antique Radio Classified.It was large Howard table radio.When I opened the box to my surprise there was NO packing materal at all!The box was just big enough for the set!,and it was intact! I was lucky.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:14 pm

You were lucky. That's not the normal with the shipping gorillas.
The first time I sent anything through UPS in my late teens I was headed out the door. I heard what sounded like something falling.
I turned around just in time to see him graab my package, and, toss it through the air into a large bin. Oh, was I mad!
I had cylinders in that box, and, told the guy they were fragile records. That very guy is the same guy who tossed my package several feet through the air.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I've only received a couple of items that had problems and they were resolved to my satisfaction. There is only one instance where I left an "undefined" feedback. The guy was a butthead. There have been a couple of problems with items I've sold too. The last was an Atwater Kent model 30 that arrived with a broken knob. It was my fault for not packing it better. I paid for a replacement knob, the customer was happy, and I got a positive feedback. EBay, like anything else, is a two way street- You win some, you lose some, and some are rained out. However if I were buying records I would use the "Comment" box to explicitly state how I wanted it shipped. I would think two stiff pieces of cardboard in a bubble envelope would work.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:07 pm

I totally agree with your rant bill I too have had things broken through the mail . However like you stated it was poorly packaged if packaged well it would have arrived safely and proper handleing should be #1 In my book

antiqueradiobuff
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down