Plasma TV

Go down

Plasma TV  Empty Plasma TV

Post by willy3486 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am

I wouldn't even post this as I do not work on newer TVs but is for a lady at work. She has a zenith plasma TV that is huge ,at least 32 inches. It is model p42w34p. She said she heard a pop and then the picture went out but it still had sound. She looked it up online and said she saw where a board went out. I did a search as well and all I found out someone had a similar issue and one board that the display ribbon plug in and also the power supply went out. I am thinking at about ten years old and if it needs the power supply and another board it may not be worth fixing. Is anyone familiar with this issue or does anyone know of a forum to ask about it at? I don't like working on stuff like this but it is a favor for a lady I work with. I haven't touched a solid state set since about 91 so I am lost.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Plasma TV  Empty Re: Plasma TV

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:25 am

If the power supply had gone out you wouldn't likely be getting anything.
My guess is one, or, more elctrolytics has failed.
Look for anything blown, a blow hole, or, bulged in the electrolytics everywhere you can.
That would be one good start.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks Bill, I did take the back off and look, I forgot to mention that. I didn't see anything that raised a red flag. No caps bulging where the indentions are that pop up , no semiconductors,diodes blown. Fuses are good. I was thinking caps as well but I didn't see any. I don't want to guess so she will put money in it. She did say if it was costly she would get rid of it. If that happens there is a elderly man that wants these things to tinker on I can give it to. I live over an hour from work but this man lives close to me so I can take it home for him to get.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

If he doesn't know about tv's, I'd worry alot. Tv's have very high voltages, and, turning off the set doesn't turn off the power supply. It stays on for the remote control, so, is fully charged.
I'd also look at sides of electrolytics, and, see if there is any electrolyte on boards.
Good looks don't mean good caps.
It may not be the problem, but............
Could also be an IC chip...........
Bill Cahill
TV's run on extremely high voltages.
I'd be leery unless he's had electronics experience. Tv's make a bad learning tinkering toy.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Very true Bill, I was a young kid when I found out that TVs hold a charge, ouch!. As far as the fellow goes I don't remember all the details but I think he worked on electronics maybe in the Navy then maybe maintainence and retired. I think his health is not the best and he wants something to pass the day by. As far as not seeing the issue thats true. I had hoped a cap or chip had popped but no such luck. I don't like working on new TVs. I do work on LCD monitors at work but I don't put too much time as they are cheap and we have quite a few spares. Give me one of the old table top radios and I am happy. This new stuff is not as enjoyable to me.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Does the light for the screen come on? If not, OH,OH, Yoda.. You might rather junk it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 pm

My Emachine Monotor a guy tossed at work i picked out of the dumpster LOl another friend had the proper cord and I had to replace 4 bulged caps and now i have a good montor for now that is.
antiqueradiobuff
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm

If it is a ''plasma'' at the right and left inside are 2 circuit boards . On the boards are 2 each fairly good size heat sinks with big ic chips under them . One or more of those chips probably shorted out . That is a symptom of the 'pop' & no picture . On the boards you will probably see some small fuses , one should be bad .

This problem was typical of the 6 or so year old plasma sets . I have worked on several and had no luck replacing the chip & fuses because other stuff went bad on those boards . If that is the problem with that set ... replace the whole tv set .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 pm

The earlier model plasma tvs were prone to leaking the plasma gas and had an average life span of about 7 years. The pop could have been a blow out in the screen. It was an expensive tv when it was new. Since the cost and technology have improved, my advice would be to scrap it and get a new one. The newer plasmas don't leak as much as the older ones and also have a better picture quality.
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:19 pm

No lights Bill just sound. Its about 10 years old and I think she is wanting confirmation it is junk. Electronics any more seems like you just toss it. Its a shame as it use to be a good way to make a living. Sometimes I feel like computers are going the same way and my skills will be obsolete. Oh well. Anyway thanks for confirming what I was thinking. The good news is I have found a older fellow who like to tinker on these newer TVs. I was thinking he was a maitainence guy but he retired TV guy. The good thing is I can help them both out. I have checked into it for her and can give this fellow parts.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Toss it, it's history.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Electronics today are made to be replaced and not fixed. Maybe it's a conspiracy. I closed my repair shop when I had to charge more to clean a VCR than it cost to buy a new one. Speaking of TV repair- I get to have lots of fun today climbing into my 32" CRT TV. It started intermittent ringing last night. If I hit the set it would stop. Wish me luck.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 am

I took it home a couple of weeks ago and the fellow came and got it. I actually helped him out before when his wife wanted a computer, I had taught computer classes that she was in. I also worked with his son about 8 years ago. He was happy to get it and she was happy to get rid of it. Now if he finds me the old tubes he has he was going to give me maybe I will luck up as well.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Sounds like a great relationship.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down