Learning The Zenith 6 Tube Console Chassis 5634

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Learning The Zenith 6 Tube Console Chassis 5634

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 pm

I'd start a new topic.
The reson why we don't like paper capacitors is simple. It was early technology, sure. These capacitors got elelctrically leaky, and, failed. They also had a tendency to shortl I've seen these explode.
Its a combination of things, porrly built, bad insulation, etc.
I've removed a number of early original factory capacitors that were wound on a flat wood peg.
Everyone of them was pretty much dead shorted.
INsulation back then was poor, at best.
Not all of today's caps are any good either. But, alot more of them will be good in 20 years than the paper ones.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 pm

1. The signal flows into what is called the DET-OSC and emerges as an unmodulated signal RF + 456KC.
Harry, your kind of right on this one. It does come out of the DET-OSC at a FIXED frequency independent of the RF frequency. That fixed frequency is determined by the oscillator and the incoming RF. Understand that the oscillator tracks the RF by a difference of the desired IF frequency. When the mix together they produce heterodynes. Much like taking to keys on a piano and hitting them at the same time. You get the two frequencies plus to get the difference and the sum to your ear. Much nicer sound than either one.
Same with your mixer stage, you get the RF and the OSC frequency mixing. Seeings how the DIFFERENCE not the SUM is always the Osc frequency as it is programmed to track off set by 455, the difference is always 455. That is the frequency the IF transformers are tuned to, eliminating, filtering out the individual frequencies and the SUM. Nice to get a single frequency to amplify through the IF section of in this case. The IF amps are tuned to this single frequency to amplify. Then of course on to the detector to separate the IF from the audio.
Just hoping to clear up your question 1. It is the difference not the sum of the two frequencies involved.
Hope this helps in your understanding of that part of the radio. I'm a dummy but that is how I learned it.
Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks for your help, Jerry.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:24 am

Happy to add a little to the conversation Bill. Also to the original poster, I agree with Bill. I have had not training whatsoever in electronics although always had an interest. Once you understand the basic flow of a radio and just the function of caps, resistors, coils and transformers, your home free! Point me to some cap or resistor and I may or may not be able to tell you what its exact function is but if the resistors don't measure properly, replace, with the paper or electrolytics, just replace. Most of the time the radio will sing. If not, then a little signal tracing which will be easy. I certainly have no idea how to design a radio, but have fixed a lot.
You seem to understand the flow of a radio, a great start. Experience with more radios and asking questions will fill in the few blanks when you get stuck.
Good luck and enjoy the hobby.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Henry, are you out there? Like to know how your doing on the radio.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top