A Childhood Memory

Go down

A Childhood Memory Empty A Childhood Memory

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Seeing Bill's picture of his 500 wall phone reminds me of the one we had growing up and a special event involving my sister. She was doing some chores around the house when the phone rang. The person calling said he represented the Indiana Bell Telephone Company and had a matter of great importance to get her assistance with. He instructed her to get a pillow case and a large rubber band and bring it to the phone. She did so and he told her to do exactly what he said to do or the house would be deluged with dirt. He said she would need to put the handset in the pillowcase and secure it tightly with the rubber band and then leave it off the hook as they were going to blow out the lines and they would send a repairman later, to let her know when it was safe to put things back to normal. My grandmother later rushed over to our house in a panic because of not getting through on the phone. My sister as of now has not heard the end of that one 50 years later!

Back to top Go down

A Childhood Memory Empty Re: A Childhood Memory

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 pm

this was a practical joke that people pulled when phone systems first came about. One of the other stunts was to tell thwm to put the whole phone in the pillow case, then continously call them, If they answer you yelled at them because the lines were being cleaned.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:05 am

Back when I was the tech director in a school system we would pass "funnies " around on email. Nothing bad just humorous. I sent this one on April fools day to the secretary. It said to unplug all the network cable and to unplug the computer. They were going to send internet robots over the net that weekend to delete dead links. If the computer was wired it the internet connection would be deleted. The secretary was really computer savy but she took it for real and sent it all over the system. I sent her a email that it was a April Fools joke I recieved and thought she would get a kick out of it She did but she had to send out a disclaimer.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down