Pioneer model CLD-D704 Laser Disc Player

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pioneer model CLD-D704 Laser Disc Player

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:18 am

I got this player from a friend yesterday, after I discovered quite a number of Laser Discs in a collection of old records she gave me on Sunday.
This kind of excited me. Ends up this machine actually plays very well.
It has both digital, and, analog sound, but, only anolog video, which I like. Analog won't cause my vintage tv's the trouble alot of digitized stuff does.
The stereo sound quality is quite good, and, I'm very impressed with the video quality. I'd definately say it is as good as that of a four head VCR.
I'm really going to enjoy this machine.

Now, for the problem. It uses a special cable for rf connection to the back of the set, and, I didn't get that cable with it. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Pioneer model CLD-D704 Laser Disc Player

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Would you have a pic or description?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 pm

I'll work on photos as soon as I can, but, here goes.
It's a very large piece, since besides having to have room for the electronics, also has to be able to hold the 12" disc.
It's very heavy, and, actually, well made.
The cabinet is painted black. It's heavy aluminum.
There is a display in front beneath the tray door.
I don't understand all the boats, and, whistles, yet. It's got large diameter plastic feet with aluminum insersrts around it, and, rubber pads on the bottom.
When you press the utton, you'd better stand well back. The tray is more than 12", I guarantee....
It comes flying out the front for quicki loading.
When you turn the machine on thedisplay in front reads that it's ready to load. When you load it, and tray goes back in, your tv has a display that says Laser disc ready.
Press play, and, it shows play on your tv screen, and, things start taking off inside. It then starts playing the disc. It's set up for automatic play on both sedes, but, not all discs have that feature in the programming.
When finnished, it stops, and, you press the button to reject the disc. Tray pops out, and, you remove it.
If you stop the disc, especially if you turn it off, a rudimentary memory tells it approx. where to resume. Hower, that feature didn't work properly for me today on one disc.
Yes, it has remote, but, presently, it has dead batteries in it.
Bill Cahill
I'll get pictures as soon as possible.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Does it have component jacks? They are usually blue green and red if I remember correctly There were also svideo cables used as well on some. If it had some of those you may could get a adapter from somewhere like monoprice or tiger direct. When I first got out of tech school I worked in a amusement company on video games. He had one I think called dragons lair that had a laserdisc built in it. It was the first CD game so to speak. You would move the joystick and the game would play scenes on the CD.

This thing didn't work and was set in a corner. I had head about them and wanted to check it out. I get into it and saw that the cd wasn't reading. So I took out the CD and cleaned it then I cleaned the filters built in it. When the boss came back I told him I fixed it. He said let me see it so I showed him the game working. He said he had taken it all the way to Nashville and couldn't find anyone who could fix it. All it had wrong with it was that it was dirty.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 pm

This isn't a video game machine, and, cannot be used for that purpose, as noted in the mannual.
This is a video laser disc player that plays movies, shows, etc.....
No componnents jacks, other than an earphone jack on front, and, some un marked sockets on back. It has audio-video jacks, and, an rf jack.
I was able to take some photos this evenning. I'll be putting them here tonight.
My tv pics aren't that good. I had camera too near, and, it caught all the scanning lines. My bad.
Sorry.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 pm

What I was meaning on the video game was that it had a laser video disc with a laser disc installed. IIRC it was a model you could buy for home use as well. It had a 12 inch laser disc If I remember. The video disc that was installed may have been a pioneer. Anyway the game itself was designed to generate a code that on turn the code would take the disc to the specific scene. The game had the game controllers in the top of the game and the laserdisc was mounted in the bottom making it easy to get filled with dust. I also worked with laserdiscs back in the early 90s in the school system that I was the tech director at the time. They have a really good picture.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Well, as prommissed, here are photos. Sorry for pictures of tv. I had camera too close, and, it picked up all the scanning lines.

Well, what do you think??
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Hey Bill it says only admins are able to see on the pictures
.I will look in the morning again.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Ah, I remember playing Dragon's Lair back in the 80's. It was way ahead of it's time and unfortunately it didn't last long. As for the laser disc format, it was priced way out of the average consumer's range in a time when VHS was dirt cheap and gave a fairly decent picture. By the time they came down to a reasonable price in the mid to late 90's, DVD hit the market and sent the laser disc player the way of the Beta Max. I still come across some laser disc from time to time, mixed in with LPs at the Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores.
Bill, one of those old VHF / UHF splitters with a coax input may work for you. I may even have a few laying around the house if you need one.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:33 am

No, it's not that I need. I need the special rf cable that connects the player to the tv.
Also, this forum really is't intended for video games.
This is for things such as movies, cartoons, etc....
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am

I'll have to get a better picture. My camera was too close to the tv. Believe me. The picture looks considerably better than this.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 am

Do you have a picture of the back? The best I remember on the laserdiscs was that they had at least the RCA plugs that you could put into the back of the VCR to see through it if your TV didn't have it. I don't ever remember any I saw that needed a special RF modulator. IIRC the laser disc came out in the early 80s then died out in the mid 90s. By the time we got them in Schools, about 94 no one used them much. But they are great pieces even today. As far as the video game I didn't mean to offend anyone about games , I brought it up as trivia on how they were so good and used for other things. The laser disc are so good when you pause it the picture looks like a snapshot, not like the jittering of a VCR. Really it is great technology for the time.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 am

No offense taken. I was just trying to point out that we weren't discussing video games. The trivia was fine, though. Thanks.

No, I wasn't saying I needed an RF modulator. I was saying I needed a replacement cable for RF. The original cable appears to be 75 ohms on thr rf mod. It has , I believe, a standard 75 ohm connector where it connects to tv, and, an RCA phono plug where it goes into the recorder. She has the connector, but, we don't know how I am going to rescue it, as the cable, and, the other standard cables are behind a very heavey cabinet, and, completely tangled up.
We are older peoplem and, health not great, and, we see no way to move the monster cabinet to access the cables.
Her husband put that set up in when he bought the stuff. He's no longer on the earth, and, the cabinet is modern sawdust with grainned plastic laminate. It's aout 5' wide, 6' tall, and, nearly 3' deep.
I see no way we can move it...
Oh, well. My point is I want to be able to use it on my antique tv's.I don't have the rf cable to do that.
I have it plugged into the video, and, audio jacks on my modern stereo color tv, right now.

The cable is really all I'm worried about. But, thanks for your concern.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:15 pm

There is a video patch cable on this page that has a 300 ohm balun from an F connector. Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.surplussales.com/Communications/catv-1.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Nope. That's not it. The end that goes into the player is a standard RCA phono plug.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Have a look at mcmelectronics.com . And look up part number 27-5695. That may be a start in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:32 pm

That connection you are asking about is known as an AC3/RF connection. allows connection to a dobly digital demodulator. You must have a tuner or sound system that has the ac-3 RF input to use the ac-3 RF connection
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:25 am

Nope. It's a standard RCA jack, and, it's RF. The mannual says to connect it to the back of your tv set.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:02 am

yes the ac-3 /rf is an rca jack
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:07 am

So if it functions as both the Ac-3 and the RF you need an rca to "F" connector cord. When we had a commodore vic 20 it hooked to the tv thru and RF modulator that had an RCA to F connection.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here is a RCA to F adapter. use reg RCA cable then plug into unit and adapter screw into antenna connection on TV
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks. I will look into it. My mistake, Sim. Appreciate the help.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laminarflow on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:51 am

I have this LD player. The RF output is DD 5.1 audio, and requires an outboard ac3rf modulator, or an amplifier or receiver, with a dedicated ac3rf input, and it would be so labeled.

I am using a NAD T770 A/V receiver, that has the ac3rf input. The majority of LD's do not have DD 5.1 sound.

laminarflow

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info. Mine has the jack marked RF.
It says in mannual to connect it to antenna terminals at the back of your tv.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laminarflow on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Turn to page 12 of the manual, right hand column. Their is an explanation of ac3rf.
The jack is marked "AC3RF OUT". It is an RCA type jack, and requires a 75 ohm coaxial cable, with RCA type connector at both ends. The output is audio only, and passes a DD 5.1 signal, and requires audio equipment to have such an input capable of receiving this type of signal.

laminarflow

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top