Jukebox hero

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jukebox hero

Post by Motorola man on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 pm

I've taken on a new project this week, it's a Rock-ola jukebox. This will be my first jukebox and luckily it's just an electronic repair and not a full restoration. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm just disappointed that it's "solid state" (wich is adds up to 2 1/2 four letter dirty words in my book). I was pleasantly surprised that laying in the bottom were original copies of the service manual, wiring diagram and parts list.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Jukebox hero

Post by Motorola man on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Made a lot of progress tonight. I replaced to power switch that the owner had previously removed, replaced a blow fuse for the 32 volt section of the power supply (which runs the entire mechanical portion of the jukebox) and reconnected one of the speaker wires. Now on to the original complaint... there's a LOUD 60 Hz hum coming through the amplifier. The amp is powered by 32 VAC which goes through a bridge rectifier and then through a couple of electrolytic caps. One of the caps checks good, the other is shot. So it's time to order some parts, for this beast and a couple of my radios as well. I'm going to go ahead and replace both of the caps to be on the safe side. At this point I'm about 95% sure that this will be the end of this project... I hope.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Well .... jukebox ,one of my favorite subjects . I have had at least 35 of them through my hands . Have 5 for myself and 2 in my store .

What model is it ? dont matter just curiass mostly . I have had 3 or 4 solid state rockolas .

A ''blow fuse'' Smile

Ken g

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I found a couple of caps locally, so I got those replaced tonight and that fixed the hum. Now I've got good, clean audio through the amplifier. Everything works, but a couple more issues have come to light. The phono drive wheel has hardened and is slipping (or the motor is running slow, but I doubt that theory). The right channel is pretty weak and both channels are distorted. A new phono cartridge will hopefully cure that problem. I found a PDF creator for making new record tabs and started replacing the faded, hand written tabs. Total investment to date - $10.60.

Ken g - it's a Rock-ola Max 2 481
Oops, let's try "Blown" fuse. How about "curiass"? lol!
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 pm

To check your sound dilemma ... unhook the cartridge either from the amp or up on the cartridge and apply a music source such as an ipod or mp3 player or even something from the earphone jack of a radio . Keep the volume low at first . Check each side for sound quality .

Alot of times i use this method to get an amp going good .

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 am

My plan is to switch the L & R inputs on the amp. The low audio should move to the other channel. That would tell me that the problem lights in the phono cartridge. I know the needle is beyond the point of being worn out. The drive wheel got a very light sanding, wich made no difference at all. My coworkers and customers helped shake down the bugs by playing with the Rock-ola all day.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 pm

I found a reasonably priced stylus on Amazon, but $30 for a new iddle wheel seems a bit steep. I'm thinking about just glueing a rubber band around the worn wheel. Has anyone done this with success?
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 pm

I have done ''re-treads'' on phono idlers but i use VCR or tape deck belts . I find one that is about the same size as the thickness of the idler .
I put the idler wheel on my cordless drill nice & balanced and run it against the grinder wheel to remove about the same thickness as the new belt and to true up the old surface .
Superglue on the new belt and give it another quick run on the grinder to remove any overdone glue and true it all up .

A rubberband would deteriorate pretty fast .

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Glad to hear that the theory will work. I just happen to have a junk VCR to use as a donor. The wheel hasn't hardened like I originally thought, it's just very well worn. I think the thickness of a new band will get me in the ballpark of where it needs to be. Thanks for the advise.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 am

I love Jukeboxes as well. I have a seeburg trashcan and a seeburg vouge from 1939. As far as the wheel goes they make a rubber rejuvenating fluid that cleans them. I first used it when I did VCR repair,giving away my age there. I still use it put on printers these days. The rollers will dry out and will not pick up paper. So I use that on them ,let them set , then wipe off the excess. It will expand the rubber at times. I have used it on phono wheels sometimes and had good luck.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 pm

The new idler wheel and needle finally came in and I hate to say, it sounds worse now. The wheel came from Victory Glass and is supposed to be an exact reproduction, but I noticed that the shaft is slightly longer than the original. I had to take two of the bushings off and still had a hard time putting the retainer clip back on. I'm going to take another bushing off in case the clip is putting pressure on the wheel. Any other suggestions on what may be slowing down the platter?
I also thought that a new needle would help with the low audio on the left channel, but it didn't. I made a cable to connect my laptop directly to the amp to test it and couldn't get enough output to drive the amp. I guess it's back to the schematic.
Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 am

I removed the idler wheel busshings & that fixed it. It's sounds the way it's supposed to. Now it's on to the amplifier.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top