Touchstone For The 20th Century

Go down

Touchstone For The 20th Century Empty Touchstone For The 20th Century

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I currently work in electronics repair, and have done so for 40 years. My employers have a lot of old equipment that still needs regular repair. It seems like every time I turn around, I'm on a wild goose chase for some replacement part that was once in plentiful supply and now is not only not made by the original manufacturer, but has passed through several hands. For the last few days, I have been looking for switchboard lamps from a proper supplier to use in a lampholder whose manufacturer croaked in 1979. I also have to convince the employer to get a tool to replace the bulbs. http://www.jonard.com/jonard-ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=EXTRACTORS/~product_id=10058
The employer marvels that someone knows about this technology that a few years ago was as complex as a pull tab from a can. It frightens me that job security has to come from such feats of knowledge, as so few know about light without LED's. Smile

Back to top Go down

Touchstone For The 20th Century Empty Re: Touchstone For The 20th Century

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I was in the auto restoration and repair business for a number of years. Modern auto repair shops would sub work out to me that they had no idea how to fix. Stuff like choke stoves, choke coils, carburetor overhauls, little "Jesus" clips that hold the transmission kickdown lever to the carb linkage, stuff like that. All on vehicles built before most of their technicians were born.

Just last week, the shop that works on my Pontiac called me with a problem they were having. A customer had dragged an old Dodge Power Wagon into their shop. It refused to start. They had NO idea what to look at or how to fix it. I suggested that they check for spark. There was none. Then just change the points and condenser says I. The phone went dead. "Hello"", says I. "Anyone there?". They were there. They had no idea what points and condenser were or where to get them.

I had to order a set of points from NAPA for a Dodge flathead six That set of points was @28.00!! I used to tune up V-8's when I started out in the early 60's for $12.95 complete.......points, plugs and condenser. I had to bring a dwell meter from home to install points in that old Dodge and set it all up. They were impressed when that old Dodge actually left the shop under its own power and the owner had a grin like the cat that swallowed a canary.

Sometimes, things that seem mundane to us are really impressive to someone else.

Best regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 pm

The inflated prices makes you feel like they are antiques as opposed to replacement parts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:58 am

Betcha they didn't know how to set the Dwell either. Or use a matchbook cover to set the gap in an emergency, Duh!! whats a matchbook?
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 am

The match book striker also could be used to clean the contact surfaces between point replacements.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down