August finds

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

August finds Empty August finds

Post by Ken g on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Lets start a finds here ? I bought a small Western Air Patrol radio Monday .
Ken g

Last edited by Ken g on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

August finds Empty Re: August finds

Post by Ken g on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:15 am

Dont people looking on this group find anything Surprised

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:49 am

Well I just got a Marantz SR 2000 for $45 and it works cheers Hey It's OLD so it qualifies, right?
August finds SR2000_JJB1

Needs the switches and controls lubed
I am going to experiment by replacing the burned out dial lamps with white Super size LEDs.
And about 100 SAMs TSM manuals, !st, of 3-5 boxes being mailed to me.
got a teapot style steamer to clean crud off old radios and such for $10.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 909
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Better check current ratings first.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:27 pm

You mean power? its 30watts perchannel,or do you mean quality?
If its quality you are refering to, I know its not as good as the older Marantz models. But its cheaper than a surround theater systems for my intents. And pocket book.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:42 pm

No. I mean the current draw of the new bulbs vs the current draw of the old bulbs, plus, the voltage both run on.
Bill Cahill
It may be too much for the power transformer to handle.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 pm

I really don't have a "find" to contribute, but how about a "re-discover"?

I have had, for nearly 30 years, a little dog-eared Zenith console, Model 6P457, sitting in the corner of my family room. We have always referred to it as "Sam's radio". My late stepdad, Sam, ran a tv-radio repair shop since he got home from WW2 in 1945. He was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in 1983, so was getting rid of various items from his repair shop, in preparation for the final days of his life. This little Zenith console had been brought to his shop by its owner sometime in the 1950's. For some reason, it was never repaired and the owner never came back to claim it. I asked Sam if I could buy it. He replied that I could have it, but that "it is a piece of crap, not worth fixing. It's one of those Zenith radios with the plastic chassis".

So for all those years, it sat in the corner of the family room. My wife thought it was cute, and a flower pot fit it just perfectly. We remodelled the house in 2011, and the little Zenith console got hauled out to the shop and deposited in my "Junk room" where I have parts sets and other debris from the old radio hobby.

We have had not only a drought from lack of rain around this part of the country, but I have been experiencing a "radio drought" and have not bought any new radios all summer.

I got bored the other day, and was looking for something to do. For some odd reason, I walked into my junk room, and there sat "Sam's radio" collecting dust and looking lonely. I decided to get it out and see what was wrong with it, and why Sam called in "a piece of crap with a plastic chassis".

A Zenith 6P457 utilizes an inverted bakelite chassis. I had never even had the back off this radio is all those years. I never really wanted to. Sam had pronounced the radio to be not repairable, and I took him at his word. There was no power cord visable.

I am now in the process of trying to get my "new" Zenith console running again. A preliminary inspection looks pretty good. As far as I can tell, the only real repair that has been done to it is the power cord has been replaced and damaged again beyond use, the cathode bypass cap has been changed and somebody put the wrong dial lamp in it. The 50Z7 rectifier has been replaced with a 50Y7, but that appears to be a correct sub. All the rest of the tubes are engraved Zenith. The ballast resistor is even still good. The speaker voice coil, the field coil, and the output transformer test good at this point, at least. The antenna coil, oscillator coil, and the IF transformer tests good. All the tubes test good and the heater string has continuity. The chassis is really crowded. All the caps are original and are stamped with the Zenith logo. I am not going to restuff them, but am going to save them in case someone wants them to restuff. The filter cap will have to be restuffed, since there is no room to hang caps anywhere else. I would prefer not having to do that, but will have to buck up on this job and do it. I am not going to power up until I get all the caps replace. (Yeah, I am one of those guys who shotguns caps!!).
Then I will repair any other faults and fix what I messed up. The finish is too far gone for Howard's, so it will get a new finish after the electronics are repaired and all is well there. The grille cloth is good enough to reuse.

If there is any interest, I will take some pictures and try to post them here. That is not my strong suite, so I won't make promises on the pictures. The circuit diagram is in Riders 11-7, 11-10 and 11-30.

Thnaks for reading and sorry it was so long.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Pics, please??
I wonder if this is the same chassis as in a table model set I trashed. The case was beyond repair.
I hope it's better than mine was. All the wiring was bare. Not one lick of insulation.
That had to be the lowest grade Zenith I had aever had. I got it playing at one time. It was lousy.. Netx time, Pop!, let the smoke out. Never played again.
I think the field coil openned up.
Just wasn't worth fixing. I had already re capped it, and, put insulation on the wiring.
At that point, I said the heck with it.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Actually, the wiring on this one appears to be in pretty good condition. I don't see any rubber wiring at all. There may be a couple areas of concern, but, overall, not too bad. I have spent a couple hours really going over this thing, and, Sam may have been right! Somebody has been in there with side cut pliers. I am going to have to run every wire going to the filter cap can and figure out why a couple of them have been cut. That sounds fairly basic, but the wires wind around other components in this chassis, and it is easier said than done! I can't see any newer caps in there, so that raises a red flag. VERY tight working conditions, and my eyes are not as good as they were 30 years ago. This may prove interesting.

There was a table model with the inverted bakelite chassis, but the model number escapes me just now.

Stay tuned and wish me luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Table models with inverted bakelite chassis are 6D410, 6D411, and 6D425. Two different chassis 5659 and 5663

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:26 pm

I always like any Marantz stuff . That one is a good one you found .

I once found a very valuable Zenith 6P... small table radio in a shed . The radio had all of its dial and knob parts missing , open square hole in the wood ,, I found one of those consoles on ebay several years ago and won it for the dial stuff . I thought it was a goofy looking console with that small square dial face .
I only had the dial stuff & chassis sent to me . I made one nice little Zenith set out of it . I saw one sell for one 1K$ on ebay .
The chassis was turned up-side-down in those and made of bakelite . Some of the trimmers and the volume control was molded into the chassis .
After restoring mine it works just as good as any 5 or 6 tube set does , very good accept the small speaker is a bit tinny .

I keep finding stuff this month . After the W.A.P. radio someone came to my shop with a small trailer full of junk and told me to pick through it and take what i wanted for 20$ . I ended up with 2 tube testers , a tube PA amp , a small ''musicare'' radio with a map of the united states in an red & yellow oval dial . 4 boxes of tubes , 20's power supply , several old microphones , 2 heathkit speakers in boxes ( sound nice ) and a real old 12 VDC to 120 VAC converter .

Today i traded one of the tube testers for an unusual desk microphone Model GR 20 SLA on a model S36 stand . Cant find any info on it . Its wierd looking . Suprize at a garage sale today ... A 1965 i thing Seeburg jukebox '' Discotheque'' model in working condition . Next sale had a GE portable fold down phonograph .

Last yard sale today had a little Philco black bakelite radio with a white wrap over the right side grille . It says PT 36 on the bottom but the internet says it is a TP 10 . I think its a not common model ?

It looks like one of the mikes from the trailer of junk is a Western Electric 633A , the popular one according to searches . Smile

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 am

bill!
The dial lights are what are referred to as fuse lamps, I have the schematic and the transformer has a separate winding for the lights. the lamps are hard to find. the voltage is 8volts ac the bulbs draw 100ma each.
So if I add a diode, resistor, and a Ultra High Brightness white LED in series as a substitute it will only draw about 20 ma or so. I will file the round end of the lens flat as it only has a ten degree view angle. The Forward supply voltage is 3.5v (4.0v max) and 28,500 mcd. So I will start with one LED each as replacement and if that isn't enough I'll add another.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks, Ken. I am going to go ahead and see if I can get this going. It's style is a little different from traditional Zenith consoles for sure.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm afraid my finds are on a summer vacation while I work on getting my car into a fully reliable unit. It's a '94 Mustang GT and I'm doing electronic work on it currently. I am replacing the dash and instrument lights with LED's, dressing and repairing the wiring on the Ford aftermarket alarm/starter unit, and cleaning out corrosion and waterproofing the engine management harness, I've already replaced the radio. That's hard to do in the winter, I'll return to the radio work then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 am

I recently picked up a Slivertone Laughing console missing its dial scale , gave it to a friend . Also bought a Majestic 20 tombstone for 20$ and passed it on to another friend looking for parts ( case is trashed ) . At a garage sale i managed to buy a 1965 Seeburg fleetwood discotheque jukebox in working condition . Its a real clean one too . 2 old microphones and some other assorted non radio collectables .

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:13 am

Sounds like you picked up quite a stash, Ken. Congradulations on a nice haul. Proves there's still plenty of stuff out there.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:30 am

Resistance is Futile wrote:bill!
The dial lights are what are referred to as fuse lamps, I have the schematic and the transformer has a separate winding for the lights. the lamps are hard to find. the voltage is 8volts ac the bulbs draw 100ma each.
So if I add a diode, resistor, and a Ultra High Brightness white LED in series as a substitute it will only draw about 20 ma or so. I will file the round end of the lens flat as it only has a ten degree view angle. The Forward supply voltage is 3.5v (4.0v max) and 28,500 mcd. So I will start with one LED each as replacement and if that isn't enough I'll add another.

Thanks, Cliff. I'd say go ahead, Ken. Looks like a nice receiver.
Don't find much around here. Like someone else, though, I keep finding stuff I lose! lol
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Here is the little Philco i found at the yard sale . The first visit to the sale it had the tuning dial pointer missing . I decided to stop again the next day after i was all done yard saling and saw it still there this time with the missing knob on it ! . The 2 knobs were wrong so i found the best ones i could here in white .
August finds Stf029

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Looks like a good match and a good looking unit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Not many yard sales today but one had these records . Must be 1000 here . Looks mostly the 70's . I see alot of jukebox title strips in here so they must have been stock from a jukebox somewhere . That is good news because jukebox records are usually not 'passed' around by kids . A quick look through and most of it looks in like new condition .
August finds Rec002

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Nice haul!
Do I see a 16 rpm large hole record in that one box?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:54 am

I haven't found any radios or tube items but I have got a couple of items I can use in the pursuit of radios and repair. With the road coming through my mother in law is loosing some trees. She said I could have them. There also was some trees that fell in a storm. I have about 12 logs so far . I may have more to cut. I plan on using some of the oak to make a case for a 20s atwater kent I have. I may also make some oak shelves for radios. I just have to get them sawn into boards and let them dry out a few years. I went to a used store and they had a table of tools, another weakness of mine. I got some old files and a really nice chisel. After things settle down with the road mess maybe I can go on the hunt for radios more.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tunes on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:42 am

today I found The Tube Radio forum ( thanks to Ken G )

~jeff~

Vintage Tunes

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Well, welcome to the forums. You are cordially welcomed here. Please post often.
Thanks, Ken!
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eliot Ness on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Here are some miscellaneous radio pins I've picked up so far this month. The first one is a Dick Tracy Secret Service Patrol Pin by Parisian Novelty Co. Chicago (a genuine pin, not a repro).

The second one is a Langendorf Bread Phantom Pilot Patrol Pin; can't find out much info on that radio show, but I think it was a regionally broadcast show on the west coast with Howard Duff's (supposedly) first starring role. I'd sure welcome any more info on this show.

The third is a pretty cool gold Magnavox 15 year service pin with the famous horn/lion logo. Philcolynn picked up two of these and was kind enough to sell me one.

The fourth is a Wonder Bread badge from WJR; my dad worked for Wonder Bread for almost 40 years so that is some nostalgia for me with a radio (WJR) tie in.

August finds PinsTemp

The last one, the Space Pin, I know nothing about. I bought it because I liked the SF theme and it was cheap. If anyone knows if this pin was from a radio/tv program, comic, etc. I'd sure like to know.

John
Eliot Ness
Eliot Ness

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: