Unknown Franklin Radio!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unknown Franklin Radio!

Post by dixau11 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Recently i acquired a whole lot of tube type radios, from atwater kent, radiola, and freshman masterpiece! So i am new to the forum. Ive dug up info on most all my radios except one... It has 6 tubes, and reads only "Franklin co, Chicago. I am intrigued. Anyone have any knowledge of the radio? I spent a lot of money on the whole lot. Hopefully this one is worth something as the rest seam to be 200-400$ range. Thanks!

dixau11

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Unknown Franklin Radio!

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Any pictures? As far as the radios I think they quit making them in the early 30s maybe? All the tubes there? Radios are like old cars, "I have a old chevy how much is it worth"? A lot on the value depends on condition, how popular it is, all parts there,etc. One other note don't plug them in if they are not restored or gone through. I have seen some not plugged in for years and then someone does. Then the radio gets fried and has costly repairs to be done.

As far as radios and making a profit don't get into them just for that. Many times you are lucky if you break even. Not saying you can't make money but where I live many times you pay as much as it will be worth restored for a unrestored one. I have about given up "picking" radios from the general public. I usually go to radio shows to find stuff I want to restore.

If you are wanting to pick find some radio get togethers to see what they go for. Radios on ebay that are sold can give you ideas of value. Radios are funny as far as value. Back in the 80s and 90s I couldn't touch a 1920s to early 30s atwater kent or similar for less than 300 to 400. In the last year I got one that I have about 25 bucks in and passed on one with almost perfect case for 30 bucks. But I have also seen them advertised for 175 bucks locally. So it is hard to say without more detail. But as far as prices goes I have even seen people advertise the old 70s model big stereo presswood cabinets for 500. But a actual value was 50 or less. If you have models or pictures that may help on estimate on price.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 am

Please see:
http://antiqueradio.org/powerup.htm

Photos are always a help in IDing a set. Tubes, no tubes?

What radios do you have in the $200 to $400 range?? If you're going by Epay asking price, or a price giude the values might be a little high.
Check "Epay's" completed auction list, then you'll know exactly what a same set could go for.

Many times Epayers will see a $1200 Catalin set sell, then think their broken bakelite $5 radio is "worth" the same.
Post some sharp photos (cellphone shots are sometimes useless, fuzzy and dark) and we can go from there.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 pm

The van Horne tube company of Franklin Ohio. Made the Franklin sets till 1934..they were the big five..cheltrnham
consolette,and portable here is a pic of a franklin
denver

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FKARNER on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:14 pm

I have a cathedral " FRANKLIN"  radio in my collection, small as cathedrals go, 5 tube model,  early 1930s.   Not a great radio, but since it bears my given name in fairly large print in the escutcheon I thought I should buy it when it sold at the Dallas auction a few years ago.  There are also solid state versions that look similar, escutcheon looks very similar.

FKARNER

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top