Question about Capacitor testers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question about Capacitor testers

Post by kzer on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Quick question please....I have just purchased an eico 950 capasitor bridge tester. I have an opportunity to also purchase an Sprague TO-4 Ohmike capacitor analyzer. Would it be considered overkill to have both testers? Obviously, I'm new to the hobby but am building my work shop and want to make sure I have what I need to sufficiently test and work on Vintage tube radios. Thank You in advance for your opinion Very Happy

kzer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-07-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Capacitor testers

Post by Motorola man on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Just my 2 cents worth, I wouldn't worry with either. In all my years of work in the electronics industry, I've never needed to use one. Capacitors are cheap enough that you could just go ahead & replace them since they've got to be taken out of the circuit to be tested anyway. A good multimeter would be a better investment if you don't already have one. Among it's many other uses, most of them can test the value of a capacitor (although not under load) & whether it's shorted.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by kzer on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks Dave. I appreciate your advice. looking forward to being a member of this forum! ps, what a great photo of the motorola man!!

kzer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Leigh on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 am

I have a Sprague TO-6A and a few other capacitor testers.

I use them to test new caps before installing them. Unfortunately with all the no-name parts on the market you have no idea what you're buying.

- Leigh

Leigh

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dlucy67 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm

I found an interesting comparison of many vintage cap checkers (and some repair or modification advice) here: http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/capchkr2.htm
dlucy67

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top