Repairing Switched Pot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repairing Switched Pot

Post by ttist25 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello there,

This is my first post. I'm a noob to tube radio collecting/repair but I've already managed to amass 8 of them. This looks like it's going to be a problem! Smile

I'm working on a Polaris Five Tube Super, specifically, the on/off volume pot. It's a little bit scratchy but, the biggest issue is that it is either on or off. The mechanism that switches the little arm between the posts isn't working. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

If I take the blade of a screwdriver and place it in the groove of the black plastic hinge doohicky, the arm switches between the posts as expected (without a great deal of force), but when I replace the post, I can't get it to push the arm to turn on and off. The little arm that looks like it's supposed to move that switch seems to be in good shape (no obvious damage).

I know I'm nuts for trying to fix this but, I feel like it's doable, I'm just missing something.

Anyone have a tips or suggestions (besides buy a new one)?

THanks!

ttist25

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Repairing Switched Pot

Post by atwater10 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi,

Some years ago I had a similar issue where the switch would switch on but when turned to off it would never click off. ( for the life of me I can't recall which radio I was working on )

I did some digging through my parts boxes and I found a similar looking control that had the on-off switch but two pots stacked together ... Just for grins, I disassembled the switch portion off of the bottom and it fit nicely on my original volume control Cool I believe it had the same voltage/current rating as the original too.

So you may want to dig around in your parts.

Last edited by atwater10 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
atwater10

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ttist25 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the response. I've got a few solid state radios that aren't on the top of my favorites list but I'm hesitant to cannibalize a working radio to repair another. I guess I'll play with it a little more and see what happens.

BTW - Glacier Point in Yosemite is my FAVORITE place on earth (so far anyway). I'm jealous! Very Happy

Thanks again.

ttist25

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Ditto on what atwater said. I wouldn't canablize a radio, those switches are fairly common. Or at least I remember them being common. A lot of the old TVs used the same type switch. As far as yours goes is the edges of that worn off? It looks like they may be. Anyway check the junk box, the switches are easier to find that will work over the volume control part.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:38 pm

I hear you on being "... hesitant to cannibalize a working radio ... " Fortunately in my case, I had at that time a box with a dozen or so Pots w/switches that I found at a swap meet Cool ... I'll have a look down in my shop this w-e and see if anything looks similar to yours. btw. I love Yosemite and the Wilderness High Country, I've been up here for 25+ years and it never gets old Very Happy

I agree with Willy that it looks like a lot of wear in your old switch and If I remember correctly, the reason mine wouldn't turn off without tapping the switch with a screwdriver handle was caused by excessive wear too.

atwater10

Back to top Go down

Post by ttist25 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 am

I wondered if the tops of the black plastic might be worn down. It's hard to tell because I can't see it when I put the top on. I wonder if I built them up a little with some JB Weld(gotta love that stuff!).

Unfortunately I just started collecting a few weeks ago so my parts collection is about nil. I've got a TON of old tubes thanks to my father-in-law. I'll post a list of tubes I have many duplicates of in case anyone might need one.

Thanks for the help!

ttist25

Back to top Go down

Post by ttist25 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 am

Here's a list of the most common I have. There may not be any need for them (maybe that's why I have so many) but here they are anyway:

• 6AU6
  • 6J6
  • 6BC5
  • 6SN7

I have a bunch of other 6-- and 6--- type tubes. If you're looking for something just ask. Maybe we can do some trading to help build up my junk box. Smile

ttist25

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Those are actually mostly early tv tubes. Few radios use them, though some do.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ttist25 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Bill.

Thanks for the tip. How do you know those are mostly for TV? Is that just from experience or do you know of a resource where I can check to distinguish which is which?

It would sure make storage decisions easier! Very Happy

ttist25

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm

I couldn't find any controls that looked like your pix ... I wonder is there a mfgr name (ie Centralab etc) written on yours?
atwater10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:23 pm

ttist25 wrote:Hi Bill.

Thanks for the tip. How do you know those are mostly for TV? Is that just from experience or do you know of a resource where I can check to distinguish which is which?

It would sure make storage decisions easier! Very Happy

Simple. Those were commonly used numbers for tv tubes.
Bill Cahill

6AU6 video, and, audio I F tubes.
6J6 commonly used as oscilator, mixer in tv tuners.
Some radios used some of these tubes, but, they were mostly tv tubes.
But, as I said, some radios did use some of them, including 6J6, and, 6AU6.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ttist25 on Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Hey guys. I just got a box of parts I bought on Ebay (five bucks! yay!). I think I should be able to find a pot in there but, I've got about 15 or 20 of these strange looking switch thingys and I'm not sure what they are or what they're used for.

Here's a video of it:

It's got a number engraved in it of "CRL2503". Any ideas?

PS - if you need any let me know. I've got a bunch.

ttist25

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed May 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Is it a airplane switch? It looks different from what I am use to.

Last edited by willy3486 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 am

It's the mechanical end of a band,or, some similar use wafer switch. That part doesn't go bad very often. Occasionally a detent will break, and, bearings will fall out. The probme is no two switches are alike.
That's not a style of seen before.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 pm

It is used with wafer switches or mechanical band switchers (may have been used with cable assembly or chain assemblies to move drum dials or pointers with band switches), military most likely or commercial.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top