"Interventions" and hobby control

Go down

"Interventions" and hobby control Empty "Interventions" and hobby control

Post by Brig on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:38 pm

I continue to read in this and other antique radio forums that there are wives who do not like the antique radio hobby as practiced by their husbands. The wives (usually referred to as "the wife," not "my wife") object to radios being purchased, brought into the house, displayed in certain sections of the house, etc. The poster of such comments fears his wife's reaction should he wish to acquire a unit that he likes, and thus must regrettably decline any further interest in it. Are there really wives who interfere with and control their husband's hobby? Or are these anecdotes made up for some curious reason? How could a marriage be considered "happy" if the wife regulates the husband's hobby activity to the point that she determines what will and what will not be allowed in the house? Strange.

Brig

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

"Interventions" and hobby control Empty Re: "Interventions" and hobby control

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Naw you got it wrong, if your into radios, then it's the He-man approach to wives. It's just fun to poke fun at da wives, but you realize, that the wives go for sewing junk in a big way too. It's to bolster camaraderie and Egos.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:28 am

MY wife encourages my radio hobby. She helps pick out some when we travel, she brings home radios from her sewing trips with friends. She buys me radios for Xmas and Bdays. She even let me put one in the dining room. How ever as the numbers swell, where I can put them is always a debate that I lose. It's usally ends with "Get rid of that one and this one can go there" I still love her very much, but I can't sell that one. Smile
Gordon
Gordon

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm

I've seen it with other hobbies definitely. Dunno about the radio hobby around here because we're kinda spread out over the province here.

Though, I will say that I do see a fair number of wives/girlfriends with the guys at our local ham flea markets here. That's encouraging. Very Happy
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Start out the right way guys. I told my wife before we got married that we would have no trouble if she didn't try to get me to get rid of my jukeboxes,radios or truck. I still have a lot of my radios,I thinned out the heard when we built the house. I also have the jukeboxes I had then and my truck. We will be married 25 years in 2013.

As far as the old radios I don't go extremely overboard in the house. I have quite a few in there but she likes them. So its give and take. She has the house the way she wants with a few of my radios and I have my shop full of my stuff and nothing is stored there other than what I want in there.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Billsradioden on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Many of my friends wives comment on the radios and seem to have a running feud with their husbands over most anything. It's very sad. My wife sends me pics of radios she finds at yard sales. She knows that I won't pile them up in the hallways and the good looking ones she says,"oh that one should go in the living room". I support her hobbies as well as just about anything else she's interested in. Should I keep her Wink

Billsradioden

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:34 pm

I hear that alot too by other guys . I think alot of guys consider some radios a big pile of dirty radios missing knobs and full of spiders all over the house . A nice display shelf the right size with cleaned up radios would be better . Some women just like to be in control of everything .

I am not married myself

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 am

My wife is forever telling me that I have too many radios. That I really should not get any more. That I will soon appear on "Hoarders Buried Alive". That started about 150 radios ago, and, since she has probably gotten me over 100 of those! She likes plastic clock radios ("they have a cute face"), but also has scored a couple big consoles. She has a Magnavox console stereo that she would kill for. Everyone who comes to the house has got to go out to the shop and see "her" radios. Go figure. I am a lucky man, indeed...........WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum