Listening to OTR on an antique radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Listening to OTR on an antique radio

Post by Brig on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 pm

I listen to a lot of OTR; it's one of my favorite pastimes. Yesterday some interesting thoughts crossed my mind as I was listening to a Mercurty Theater CBS production of August 29, 1938, starring the great Orson Welles, "The Count of Monte Cristo." I was broadcasting the recording to my RCA 7K, one of my favorite receivers. As I listened, these thoughts entered my mind: Someone, somewhere, almost 74 years ago had undoubtedly listened to this program on the very same receiver I am now using. I had bought this unit in Michigan, and I wondered if it had originally belonged to someone in Detroit, my home town; if so, that person would have been tuned to Detroit's CBS outlet, WJR, 760 kc, "The Goodwill Station in the tower of the Fisher Building." A strange feeling momentarily went through me as I felt I had somehow made contact with the past. I can't think of any other hobby that permits such dramatic connection to our history. Incidentally, WJR is still on the air, still at 760 on the dial, and still has its studios in the tower of the Fisher Building on W. Grand Blvd. However, the city of Detroit I grew up in no longer exists.

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Listening to OTR on an antique radio

Post by Motorola man on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm

I feel that way every time I work on a radio. When I pull a chassis & get a look underneath, I think about the fact that I may be the first person to see these parts in 50 years or more. Or when I fire up some big band tunes, I think about how the same thing played when the radio was new.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:08 pm

One thing that sounds nearly the same now as it did back then are the baseball game broadcasts. Another interesting thing to listen to are the local programs from other cities, along with their news broadcasts. That seems to work better during the winter months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:06 pm

In my post above, re WJR Detroit and OTR, someone informed me in a PM of a simple error I made. In 1938 WJR's frequency was 750, not 760. It was changed to 760 sometime later.

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top