Using VCR for signal to '64 RCA am/fm Radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using VCR for signal to '64 RCA am/fm Radio

Post by caseysmydog on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:59 pm

I am an amateur hoping to restore sound to an RCA mod RHC19B radio...has sentimental value...changed out the electrolytic caps (took out the hum).
I need to take the signal from a VCR to the high side/low side of the volume switch using 2 small caps soldered to an RCA cable.
Question: The RCA cables have solid pins...I plug in the cable to the audio VCR output and touch the red to low side and white to high side? or is the the way it's done at all? How can I know the high side from the low? If you can help I sure thank you in advance...Please remember I'm ignorant. Many thanks

caseysmydog

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Using VCR for signal to '64 RCA am/fm Radio

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm

First, I don't think this radio can handle audio from a vcr, or, cd player. Not enough amplifier gain.
These devices have very little signal output, and, you'd need another pre amp to do this. I'd use the radio for what it's intended for.
You could even build your own low wattage legal am transmitter.
Welcome to the forums.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 pm

HI, Is this a stereo VCR?
As you know, you will only get mono from the VCR to the radio.
Next, the red is usually the right channel, the white the left side. Each having 2 conductors on wach output.
(Yellow is usually the non-RF video signal)

Again, the level from the "Audio Out' cable may be too low to be insterted on the volume control.
Playing a stereo audio source will requite a Y adapter that will combine both channels, if it is a Stereo VCR. Then feed that into the radio.

You can temporaily hook up either the red cable or the white cable and see if you have any sound. Doesn't hurt to see if you have enough audio signal, or not.

The 2 outputs each have the 'hot' lead in the center, and the ground.

OK, here is the deal, if you are able to insert the VCR audio into the volume control you are still going to get radio sound along with it. You will need to cut out the lead from the previous stage in the radio. That way, you are only hearing the VCR input.

You can use a small audio speaker jack that will cut out that radio lead, while connecting your VCR lead.

With that said, you still might not have enough audio power to run into the vol, control. In that case, you will need to have a small amp between the VCR and the radio.
Over on the ARF board we discussed this many times on how to add an Ipod input to a radio. You may find some of this useful, like the plug used and how it cuts out your radio audio when the jack is inserted.
Please see: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=166720

Another alternative that ,might not have as good of audio quality you want is a small AM transmitter. You can buy one or assemble your own from a kit. Many sources for those.

Keep us posted on what you do.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 pm

The AM transmitter is probably your best option. Check out the thread on home brew transmitters. I just finished building one from an AA5 & a few scrap parts. It's cheap, easy to do & sounds reasonably good.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top